Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hasselblad backs on view cameras  (Read 12100 times)

markowich

• http://www.peter-markowich.net
hasselblad backs on view cameras
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:42:10 am »

dear david,
i hear that the hasselblad backs (39mpx) have serious issues when used on view cameras (color shifts under certain shutter/exposure conditions etc).
so far this has been seriously deterring me from changing over from leaf to H, but maybe all will be different with the 60mpx H back.
can you comment on this?
thanks in advance, peter

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:15 am »

Quote from: markowich
dear david,
i hear that the hasselblad backs (39mpx) have serious issues when used on view cameras (color shifts under certain shutter/exposure conditions etc).
so far this has been seriously deterring me from changing over from leaf to H, but maybe all will be different with the 60mpx H back.
can you comment on this?
thanks in advance, peter

Hi Peter,

I guess what we hear and what is reality are two very different things!

Certainly any CCD can have issues with wider angle lenses on view cameras but we do not suffer any more or less than any other product.  Of course if this does occur you need some way of correcting it which can be done in our software Phocus.  This can be performed if the camera is connected to the software or equally if you are shooting to a CF card.

Like most solutions I am aware of it involves capturing a reference shot through a opaque filter (like an expodisc) which Phocus then uses to map out the colour cast.

All the digital magazines on the H3D cameras can be connected to electronic shutters from Rollei or Schneider or with simply manual copal shutters.  When using the electronic shutters you have full control of shuter/aperture from Phocus.  Live Video also automatically controls the shutter.

Hopefully that helps you in your quest!

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:20:07 am »

David, would you please address why my 96 back has had recurring fungus spots and what I can do about it..my other equipment is in the same environment and are not effected like the IR filter is on your back.. I am tired of this battle. and don't want to send back to denmark for another hosing.. I mean cleaning and for it to just re appear.
I appreciate your being available here for such candor and honesty.
and btw I have used the back on a view camera since day one with good success.
paul
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:21:17 am by paulmoorestudio »

markowich

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:58:42 am »

david,
thanks for your answer. i am fully aware of typical color cast problems with laef and phase (i have both P45 and A75) but what i heard was more like
severe synch issues with copal shutters on the H backs, giving uniform pink or purple casts when using long or short shutter speeds (can't remember
now which of the two). any comment to this?
and btw, the lack of an attached battery is quite annoying on a view cam.
p

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Peter,

I guess what we hear and what is reality are two very different things!

Certainly any CCD can have issues with wider angle lenses on view cameras but we do not suffer any more or less than any other product.  Of course if this does occur you need some way of correcting it which can be done in our software Phocus.  This can be performed if the camera is connected to the software or equally if you are shooting to a CF card.

Like most solutions I am aware of it involves capturing a reference shot through a opaque filter (like an expodisc) which Phocus then uses to map out the colour cast.

All the digital magazines on the H3D cameras can be connected to electronic shutters from Rollei or Schneider or with simply manual copal shutters.  When using the electronic shutters you have full control of shuter/aperture from Phocus.  Live Video also automatically controls the shutter.

Hopefully that helps you in your quest!

David

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:33 am »

Quote from: paulmoorestudio
David, would you please address why my 96 back has had recurring fungus spots and what I can do about it..my other equipment is in the same environment and are not effected like the IR filter is on your back.. I am tired of this battle. and don't want to send back to denmark for another hosing.. I mean cleaning and for it to just re appear.
I appreciate your being available here for such candor and honesty.
and btw I have used the back on a view camera since day one with good success.
paul

Hi Paul,

This is only a guess but the V96C back runs at a higher temperature compared to DSLR equipment so making the perfect environment for bacterial growth.  Anyhow, thats just an excuse and a fix is more important.

Suffice to say if you return your back now it is fitted with a different IR filter (as is all the current products) which has a different coating which prevents this fungal growth.

Glad to hear the back is working well on a view camera.

David
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:48:29 am »

david,
thanks for your answer. i am fully aware of typical color cast problems with laef and phase (i have both P45 and A75) but what i heard was more like
severe synch issues with copal shutters on the H backs, giving uniform pink or purple casts when using long or short shutter speeds (can't remember
now which of the two). any comment to this?
and btw, the lack of an attached battery is quite annoying on a view cam.
p

Hi Roman,

Sorry, I misunderstood.  There was an issue a long time ago but has been solved now.

We are developing a solution to enable you to use the H battery to power the back while being used on a view cam.

You can also use our image bank as a power source and I believe there are also some firewire rechargeable battery solutions which have been successful as well.

David

David Grover

markowich

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:21:54 am »

Hi Roman,

Sorry, I misunderstood.  There was an issue a long time ago but has been solved now.

We are developing a solution to enable you to use the H battery to power the back while being used on a view cam.

You can also use our image bank as a power source and I believe there are also some firewire rechargeable battery solutions which have been successful as well.

David

hi david
thanks. i just hope that you are not referring to the sliding back solution which was circulated with the H3D II 50 launch.
peter

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:47:20 am »

David,
Yesterday I sent you a PM asking about the issue of how to power the 39MP back on a Cambo in a cost effect elegant manner (I do not consider the ImageBankII to be a cost effective solution as I have more than enough CF cards and only need power).  

Did not hear back, so seeing the topic raised here, I'll ask the same question.

Please advise the source for the Firewire rechargeable battery solution you mentioned that will work with the 39MP back and my Cambo.

I'm looking for something simple and small as I do landscape work and want my backpack to be as compact and light as possible.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Roman,

David

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:55:25 am »

Quote from: Lust4Life
David,
Yesterday I sent you a PM asking about the issue of how to power the 39MP back on a Cambo in a cost effect elegant manner (I do not consider the ImageBankII to be a cost effective solution as I have more than enough CF cards and only need power).  

Did not hear back, so seeing the topic raised here, I'll ask the same question.

Please advise the source for the Firewire rechargeable battery solution you mentioned that will work with the 39MP back and my Cambo.

I'm looking for something simple and small as I do landscape work and want my backpack to be as compact and light as possible.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack,

I didn't get the PM.  Are you sure it went to me?

I can't find the battery pack right now on the internet!  I am sure it was from expansys.com but the name escapes me.  I am sure I will track it down soon... give me a while.

David

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:25:29 pm »

Big Wave Power was the one I had in mind...

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....+power+solution

David Grover

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

Dave,

I ordered the BigWave and should be able to test it out this weekend on the H-39 and my Cambo WDS.

Jack

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 07:24:15 pm »

Hi Paul,

This is only a guess but the V96C back runs at a higher temperature compared to DSLR equipment so making the perfect environment for bacterial growth.  Anyhow, thats just an excuse and a fix is more important.

Suffice to say if you return your back now it is fitted with a different IR filter (as is all the current products) which has a different coating which prevents this fungal growth.

Glad to hear the back is working well on a view camera.

David

hey thanks for that,
 sounds like more than a guess, and confirms that the old IR filter was prone to fungus as suspected..since they are using a different filter or coating now and the problem is prevented..I appreciate your authoritative knowledge here.
paulmoore

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »

There is no specific problem with the 39mpx backs-- it is the 31mpx backs that use microlenses.  I tested my 31mpx back on a Horseman and with some of the shifts saw significant color shifts.

dear david,
can you comment on this?
thanks in advance, peter

• Capture One
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:39 am »

Quote from: Lust4Life
Dave,

I ordered the BigWave and should be able to test it out this weekend on the H-39 and my Cambo WDS.

Jack

Please let me know how it works out for you.

David

David Grover

rhsu

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 06:54:46 am »

Big Wave Power was the one I had in mind...

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....+power+solution

I did warn the mfgr of the BigWavePower that they are going to get a lot of orders!  BTW:  thanks for looking into the corrupt files!

BobDavid

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 10:19:53 am »

I've used my CF39  MS back on any number of view cameras. I always do a custom white balance. The results are terrific.
Pages: [1]   Go Up