Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Users with Nikon 14-24 f2.8 G - How're You Liking It?  (Read 14904 times)

Andy M

• http://
Canon Users with Nikon 14-24 f2.8 G - How're You Liking It?
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:40:00 am »

I'm currently on the lookout for a Nikon 14-24 to use with my 1Ds 3 and was wondering how current users are getting on with the adapter & lens?

I've contacted Mark to order an adapter but am yet to receive a reply.

Further to Ray's previous thread, is the lens as good as they say it is while attached to a Canon body?

Andy M

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »

Anybody?

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:31:34 am »

Quote from: Andy M
Anybody?
I placed my order about two or three months ago... During that time he was very slow to respond. He does respond, and he seems to be honest about it, but then he's a photographer and a worker himself, so I look at this more as a courtesy more then anything.

From what I've read of those who have received their, it's simply the best wide you can get at 14mm's for anything right now.

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:52:52 am »

I'm sorry you are not getting a reply here.  The adapter is hard to come by and that makes for an even smaller pool of people in a position to respond to your inquiry.  I use that lens on my D300 and IR converted D200, and I can tell you its only flaw is field curvature when shooting at hyperfocal distances below f/11 (it gets soft edges, but my Nikkor 17-35/2.8 is even worse in this regard).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:44:03 pm by Tony Beach »

Andy M

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:30:50 pm »

Thanks for the replies

I'm still yet to hear from Mark, so whether I order an adapter or not is very much up in the air.

Does anybody know of any other adapters being available?

Dennishh

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:58:02 am »

I have been using the 14-24 and mark's adapter for about six months on my 1DsMK3. The results are amazing! All jobs produced with this combination are fare better tahn any wide angle I have used to date. You can see more at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/660637
Dennis

duraace

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:03:30 pm »

Quote from: Dennishh
I have been using the 14-24 and mark's adapter for about six months on my 1DsMK3. The results are amazing! All jobs produced with this combination are fare better tahn any wide angle I have used to date. You can see more at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/660637
Dennis

FWIW  I use this lens on my D300 and it's hard to take a bad pic.

Andy M

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:41:53 am »

A week and a half gone, and no reply from Mark.

I think the writing is on the wall with this one. Thanks for your replies

michael

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:26:13 am »

The lens is possibly the best wide angle I've ever used, either zoom or prime.

As for the adaptor, I've ordered one and been promised that it would be shipped a couple of times over the months but nothing has shown up.

Michael

wthurman

• http://www.wendythurman.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:07 pm »

I am not using this lens on a Canon; I have a D700.  It's the best lens in my bag and I have Nikkor's 24-70/2.8 and their 70-200/2.8.  I've only had the lens for a couple of months but it delivers.  While on a shoot today I (gasp!) had it fall out of a camera bag onto some old Roman limestone steps- a drop of 8-10 inches- and I nearly had a heart attack.  The result?  No problems, although I did ding the integral lens hood.  Not only does this lens perform remarkably, it is as hard as a coffin nail.

Worth the cost?  You betcha.  Try not to drop it :)

Wendy

marcmccalmont

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 06:36:05 pm »

Do you have Marks email address? or contact number?
I have not found one on his web site
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 07:31:08 pm »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
Do you have Marks email address? or contact number?
I have not found one on his web site
Thanks
Marc

mark@16-9.net

juicy

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 07:33:48 am »

A review with images: David Clapp's website

Ray

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:17:33 am »

I think there's a certain amount of risk with an adapter like this. Mark's adapter is not a thoroughly tested product designed for mass production. One has to accept a few quirks and idiosyncrasies.

My adapter seems designed specifically for the 5D, which I requested. It doesn't work with my 50D. The most annoying problem is, I cannot leave the battery in the camera for a few days or more. It goes flat, even though the camera is switched off. There's an intermittent red flash which indicates the battery is still active to some degree even when the camera is switched off.

Nevertheless, it's certainly an excellent lens, although of course, one always gets the distortion of verticals near the edges and corners, as with any wide-angle lens, I presume, as can be seen in the following shots. The second one is a crop of the bottom right corner.

[attachment=9881:Aratula_1.jpg]  [attachment=9882:7576_1_b...t_corner.jpg]

Ray

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:41 pm »

Here's another example of the typical distortion that takes place in the corners of wide angle shots. Could I have avoided that by lying flat in the mud to take that shot?

[attachment=9886:7604_Col...Crossing.jpg]

Andy M

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 05:14:11 am »

Quote from: michael
As for the adaptor, I've ordered one and been promised that it would be shipped a couple of times over the months but nothing has shown up.

Michael

That's a little odd Michael, as at the bottom of http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/nikon1424.php it reads:

Many thanks to Mark at 16-9.net for support and help and information. After approving this page with him he mentioned excitedly in an email that

"the client list for these is pretty impressive: we've so far shipped about 70, with another 50 to go out this week, and another 50 in a month or so.Among those shooting with it even as we speak are the BBC Nature Unit, Rob Galbraith, Red Digital, Michael Reichmann and a galaxy of international photo stars."

Henry Goh

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 06:46:10 am »

Quote from: Andy M
That's a little odd Michael, as at the bottom of http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/nikon1424.php it reads:

Well I trust Michael and that would make this guy Mark a big liar.

Krug

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 10:29:55 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
Well I trust Michael and that would make this guy Mark a big liar.

No it does not make him a 'big liar' nor, indeed, any other sized liar.

What it may do - as I posted elsewhere when this bad-tempered tone arose - is suggest that he was naively unrealistic about the problems likely to be involved in producing the adaptor.

Like others I placed my order within days of the announcement, suffered months of frustrated waiting and had impatient correspondence with Mark before finally receiving my adaptor.
However - as many can now confirm - the adaptor does exactly what it was said that it would do and the 1DsIII/14-24G combination is extraordinary and - in my opinion - well worth the wait.

The entirely fair criticism would be that there has been woefully poor communication with his customers about the problems, delays and progress in supplying the product.
However as no other supplier has, to my knowledge, stepped up to the mark with an offer of anything similar perhaps we should appreciate Mark's initiative and sympathise with the problems he has had.

Personally I am grateful that he undertook this project - despite the frustrating waiting - and also appreciate his informative 16:9 site.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:35:35 am by Krug »
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

marcmccalmont

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »

I contacted Mark via email and he responded within a few days.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Ray

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:14 pm »

I wonder if there would be any legal situation arising if a well resourced company were to make a fully functioning adapter. Would it be possible, I wonder.

I'm still having trouble with autoexposure in AV mode, with my 5D. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps the contacts need cleaning again. Perhaps I've received one of the copies of this adapter that's been manufactured with the lack of precision which is responsible for the huge delays in Mark being able to fulfill orders.

Fortunately, correct exposure should never be a problems with DSLRs. The autobracketing facility in conjunction with the camera's histogram makes it easy to get an exposure that's close enough, provided one has the time. However, 'spur of the moment' shots would present a problem. On the other hand, this is not  a walk-around lens.

Basically, I'm almost back to days-gone-by when no camera sported the luxury of autofocussing and autoexposure. Perhaps not such a bad thing, though I wish Nikon would hurry up with the 24mp upgrade to the D700 or I might feel compelled to buy the current D700   .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up