Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop metadata confusion  (Read 934 times)

OldRoy

• http://
Photoshop metadata confusion
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:27 am »

For a long time I've had some problems associated (I believe) with Photoshop ACR (CS3) handling of exif data. I am doing spherical panoramas. I shoot D200, NEF, multiple exposures in portrait orientation for HDR. I have the orientation sensor in the camera set to "off" as the vertical and horizontal shots required (zenith and nadir) actuate this sensor randomly, which causes big headaches (it took me a long time to realise this!) I usually bulk-rotate the NEFs in Bridge before processing in ACR but occasionally do the rotation at the ACR stage.

To keep it relatively simple, the stitching application (PTGui) sometimes recognises the exif data for the lens type, and sometimes it doesn't. I also use an HDR blending program called "Enfuse", which needs an associated application to read the exif files (called "Exiftool"). Whilst blending, Enfuse always protests that some tags are not recognised - although the output is not impacted in any way I can detect. I recall seeing a comment somewhere that PS doesn't handle the metadata in a standard way (???)

Apologies if this sounds convoluted, I'm trying to include any useful clues associated with the problem. Could anyone clarify this situation for me? For example is it the case that there is some non-standard exif data handling in PS?

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up