Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P65+  (Read 49087 times)

gwhitf

Phase One P65+
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2008, 11:58:45 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
There is a limit to what can be accomplished by tweaking the same sensor via readout adjustments and circuit board upgrades. A completely new sensor with new technology certainly does offer more potential for advancement. I don't see what does not ring true about that statement.

The screen from the plus is certainly better than the non plus. It has more resolution and more brightness. The fact it is less viewable in direct sunlight is yes, one aspect that was a minus. However, I have not met anyone who has told me they would prefer to have the older screen. And wireless file transfer was not part of the plus upgrade package. It is a feature that we felt confident enough to publicize our plans for and obviously we have so far failed to accomplish this. Guilty as charged.

I do understand that until rubber meets the road, skepticism exists (and rightfully so). Nonetheless, the potential of the P65+ product is exciting and that is directly what I was stating.

Steve,

With all due respect, what I object to is seeing the ads, and the promotion, and the exclamation points, and the claims, and the promises, and the boasts, about what an improvement that the Plus series was going to be, over the non-plusm and then have it delivered and see hardly any difference whatsoever. And then to read your sentence above, about how you REALLY feel about the Plus: "There is a limit to what can be accomplished by tweaking the same sensor via readout adjustments and circuit board upgrades."

I totally understand that there is a limit, but at that time of upgrade, I simply bought into Phase's claims, and I paid my money, and they kept me enrolled in their Methadone Upgrade Addiction Program.

But no more.

And as you say above, I urge everyone here, with any and all brands, not only Phase, to wait til "the rubber hits the road" before getting sucked into any Wimpy Hamburger program, which is basically, paying you today for a hamburger in six months.

The trust is gone.

You guys have got to prove your claims now. I urge everyone: keep your money in your pocket until a product is proven. Make these companies earn the copy that's in their ads.

Good economy, bad economy -- makes no difference. There are simply other options available (Canon, Nikon, etc) that work as claimed, right out of the box, with no excuses.

You say you know of no customers who preferred the old LCD, but there were customers that preferred keeping their old, original back, and keeping that extra Five Grand Upgrade Money in their pocket. I was one of them.

I hope the P65+ does well for you. I just hope those copywriters are held at bay, and the energy is invested in getting that back into the street, to be tested and put through the wringer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:06:48 am by gwhitf »

Vernonclarke

Phase One P65+
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2008, 04:49:54 am »

When I upgraded from a P45 to a P45+ I did so not just for a better screen, but for the live video function that could help my focus problems that had dogged me so far on the Hassleblad V.  In addition to this I chose to have value added as opposed to the classic package I have always had.

I was also told by my dealer that the plus series was "wi-fi ready",  something to do with the back was prepared to take a future release of this facility.
As it happens I'm not convinced that the wi-fi would be of any use to me, I can't see Apple discontinuing any sort of firewire connection and if it did the digital backs would have some sort of connection...

I'm where I need to be with my P45+ on a Phase 645 camera and really have no need for a higher pixel count, therefore can't see the need for me to upgrade for some time now.  However, if the sensor plus technology was to find its way into a 39mp back, I'd order one.  The ability to change the resolution from 39 to 16 mp when shooting a cut out of a tin of beans would be well worth the upgrade.

Kind regards

Steve

jing q

• we are super
Phase One P65+
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2008, 05:10:16 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Steve,

With all due respect, what I object to is seeing the ads, and the promotion, and the exclamation points, and the claims, and the promises, and the boasts, about what an improvement that the Plus series was going to be, over the non-plusm and then have it delivered and see hardly any difference whatsoever. And then to read your sentence above, about how you REALLY feel about the Plus: "There is a limit to what can be accomplished by tweaking the same sensor via readout adjustments and circuit board upgrades."

I totally understand that there is a limit, but at that time of upgrade, I simply bought into Phase's claims, and I paid my money, and they kept me enrolled in their Methadone Upgrade Addiction Program.

But no more.

And as you say above, I urge everyone here, with any and all brands, not only Phase, to wait til "the rubber hits the road" before getting sucked into any Wimpy Hamburger program, which is basically, paying you today for a hamburger in six months.

The trust is gone.

You guys have got to prove your claims now. I urge everyone: keep your money in your pocket until a product is proven. Make these companies earn the copy that's in their ads.

Good economy, bad economy -- makes no difference. There are simply other options available (Canon, Nikon, etc) that work as claimed, right out of the box, with no excuses.

You say you know of no customers who preferred the old LCD, but there were customers that preferred keeping their old, original back, and keeping that extra Five Grand Upgrade Money in their pocket. I was one of them.

I hope the P65+ does well for you. I just hope those copywriters are held at bay, and the energy is invested in getting that back into the street, to be tested and put through the wringer.

I agree with the above, in regards to all digital back manufacturers.
The lack of integrity in fufilling the claims and promises made compared to Canon and Nikon is astounding.

Carsten W

Phase One P65+
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2008, 06:44:06 am »

Quote from: macfly
I was really excite about the Hy6 until I spent about three minutes holding it. IMHO it is both plasticy and agricultural at the same time. I hated the layout of all the controls, and was very disappointed in the overall build quality and feel. My local store is very good about letting me borrow things, since I both buy and rent a lot of gear with them each year, but the 'feel' of camera gave me no desire to even try it.

I don't really understand why folks who make these machines don't come on a little two week field trip to those of us who are shooting several terrabytes a month to see how we'd really like things to work, feel and look. I'd be happy to open my doors to any camera designers, and give my input into how to make their stuff really desirable to both working pros and high end enthusiasts.

Well, they almost certainly did! Not you, but others. Many love the layout, others don't. It is very personal, like anything. I don't think that they made any grave mistakes with the camera, they just didn't hit the preferences of some, that's all. Maybe with time they can tune the layout a bit to make more people happy.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Phase One P65+
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2008, 11:04:23 am »

Quote from: jing q
The lack of integrity in fufilling the claims and promises made compared to Canon and Nikon is astounding.

Jing q --- just curious, which MF back and camera system do you currently own?  
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Phase One P65+
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2008, 11:25:03 am »

Dear jing q,

If your "lack of integrity" of the DB manufacturers means to say "not adhering to moral principles or to professional standards", which is actually its definition, then I find it to be very strong worded and am asking myself what brings you to this judgement.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

smhoer

• http://www.skylightimaging.smugmug.com
Phase One P65+
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17:35 pm »

Yes, I would not hold Canon or Nikon up as examples of virtuous marketing organizations.  Each has had teething issues with their releases and not been too quick to admit issues.  I work in the technology industry and our biggest challenge is keeping our marketing department from running their mouth about the new features that are coming when those new features were only discussed in a hallway as a "wouldn't it be cool if we could" concept.  Of course the marketing guy who overheard the concept then goes and issues a press release.  This results in the head of marketing getting upset when it doesn't happen and wants me to ask why development did not do it.  When I ask development I get the blank look and a "we never published that feature in our roadmap" response.

The moral is whenever you have marketing people working with technology developers you will always have disconnects and promises that may never be fulfilled.  And I always end up arbitrating the ensuing finger pointing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:18:34 pm by smhoer »
Scott H.
North Carolina

jing q

• we are super
Phase One P65+
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »

Quote from: smhoer
Yes, I would not hold Canon or Nikon up as examples of virtuous marketing organizations.  Each has had teething issues with their releases and not been too quick to admit issues.  I work in the technology industry and our biggest challenge is keeping our marketing department from running their mouth about the new features that are coming when those new features were only discussed in a hallway as a "wouldn't it be cool if we could" concept.  Of course the marketing guy who overheard the concept then goes and issues a press release.  This results in the head of marketing getting upset when it doesn't happen and wants me to ask why development did not do it.  When I ask development I get the blank look and a "we never published that feature in our roadmap" response.

The moral is whenever you have marketing people working with technology developers you will always have disconnects and promises that may never be fulfilled.  And I always end up arbitrating the ensuing finger pointing.

After having dealt with medium format digital backs, I have to say Canon seems like angels comparatively.
Canon delivers the features they promise, I can go into B&H, get it, and know that I'm getting what I paid for.

Jack, I use a Leaf, it works well but it has its quirks. Now I understand that there are quirks in these backs but when you're in a high stress shoot situation, the client doesn't bloody care about quirks.
It's embarrassing as a professional not to be in full control of your quirky $30k equipment.
For $30k I want rock solid dependability.

Let me tell you what I think lack of integrity is, it's letting your dealers go around promising things which never get fufilled. Every MFDB manufacturers promise stuff which they don't fufill.
I don't expect the Phase One back to be any different in that aspect. Take all the marketing claims with a pinch of salt until it's been tested in a proper shoot situation.
I shoot with a Leaf and honestly I don't trust any of the new features until I see them working properly. I've been burnt already, waiting for a Windows version of Leaf Capture which was promised for years. FINALLY came out, and still quirky. Prevents my computer from shutting down. Firewire refuses to recognise after it wakes up from sleep mode. So on and so forth.

If all this sounds harsh to you, well guess what, try paying $30k for something and watch the value wither away as you get irritated with the back's moods.
This applies to all manufacturers. Shopping around for a back was like trying to figure out which one would screw me over less in the long run. I have to say Hasselblad's new marketing direction looks very very good.

Ironic thing is that I'm looking into upgrading my back because I am irritated with the screen and I feel the resolution could improve, and hopefully the noise of the newer model is better (whoever says that you can use a digital back's 400 ISO must be joking, the loss of color gamut/tonality and loss of quality is just unbelievable, better off using a DSLR in such situations). Is this the manufacturer's marketing model? It's like being stuck in a marriage where I was promised Ms Universe and ended up with the 6th runner up with pimples, now I have to send her for plastic surgery hoping that she'll look better but knowing inside that there are going to be quirks again.

The list of issues with MFDB have been listed time and time again. Just to let the reps know, I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't usually voice their disgruntlement but I have to agree with most of what's been said time and time again. I just don't say it. The people here use their cameras in work-scenario shoots. We get pissed at failed promises and half-arsed solutions. Our arses are on the line.

As stated by gwhitf,
"I totally understand that there is a limit, but at that time of upgrade, I simply bought into Phase's claims, and I paid my money, and they kept me enrolled in their Methadone Upgrade Addiction Program.

But no more.

The trust is gone.

You guys have got to prove your claims now. I urge everyone: keep your money in your pocket until a product is proven. Make these companies earn the copy that's in their ads."

You've got a huge skeptic here of the belief that a firmware update is going to make your back perform much better, later on, oh maybe one, two, oops three years later, oh yes we did mention we were going to do this firmware thing...
I paid at least 50% more because I was suckered into believing that the S model of the Aptus had better noise control than the non-S model! *rolls eyeballs*
I think a photographer's idea of improvement vs a MFDB maker's idea of improvement differs greatly. Probably like how the Phase One screens "improved"
When Nikon says their screens improve, you know they mean it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:33:10 pm by jing q »

jing q

• we are super
Phase One P65+
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2008, 01:36:02 pm »

Oh here's a quirk for you. It tends to happen at the most important shots. I'm not the only one with this problem I'm sure.
Leaf America has been great in helping me try to fix the issue, but I'm too tired to keep sending it back so I just learn to live with it. Especially after it happens even in the replacement back. Some of us actually have shoots and fly around here and there. We prefer not to spend enough time and energy on dealing with hardware issues.
I don't pay good money to troubleshoot the manufacturer's problems. I thought that's something that only happened in China when buying cheap crap.
If Canon had such a problem with their cameras the whole of dpreview would have ripped Canon to shreds. Funny how we MFDB just learn to live with the quirks of our backs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:39:02 pm by jing q »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Phase One P65+
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2008, 02:18:59 pm »

Jack, I use a Leaf, it works well but it has its quirks. Now I understand that there are quirks in these backs but when you're in a high stress shoot situation, the client doesn't bloody care about quirks.
It's embarrassing as a professional not to be in full control of your quirky $30k equipment.
For $30k I want rock solid dependability.

Hi Jing:  

I don't disagree with anything you say here, but in your post above you seem to lump all the DB manufacturers into the same pile and without specifics like you shared above for Leaf.  I don't think the broad-blame approach is fair to the other manufacturers you do not have direct experience with -- that's all my point was  

Hope the issues related to your back get sorted out soon,
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:21:28 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

bcooter

Phase One P65+
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2008, 02:21:56 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Woof:

You're entitled to your opinion.

But I object to the term "lying", and the implication of a lack of honesty and integrity.

There is a limit to what can be accomplished by tweaking the same sensor via readout adjustments and circuit board upgrades. A completely new sensor with new technology certainly does offer more potential for advancement. I don't see what does not ring true about that statement.

The screen from the plus is certainly better than the non plus. It has more resolution and more brightness. The fact it is less viewable in direct sunlight is yes, one aspect that was a minus. However, I have not met anyone who has told me they would prefer to have the older screen. And wireless file transfer was not part of the plus upgrade package. It is a feature that we felt confident enough to publicize our plans for and obviously we have so far failed to accomplish this. Guilty as charged.

I do understand that until rubber meets the road, skepticism exists (and rightfully so). Nonetheless, the potential of the P65+ product is exciting and that is directly what I was stating.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve,

I'm fine with digital equipment reps, dealers and all their new found associates putting their product in a favorable light.  that's your and their job and it should be expected.

what i'm not fine with using the word potential when it comes to what you product may, or may not eventually do.

if your selling to professional photographers and I assume you are, none of us would ever even think of selling ourselves into a project based on our "future" potential.

we have to prove we can do it before we even get a chance to produce an estimate and even then jump through more hoops, prove references, deliver exactly, actually deliver more than we promised for the prices we negotiated.

period.  

so before you talk about potential like gw says deliver first, talk about upgrades paths later.

as far as the plus backs they're ok, actually they are an upgrade just for the ability to tether through apple's flaky firewire ports, but as far as higher iso, there may be a 20% difference at best and I know because I've tested higher iso until my eyes bleed.   then again why should we be expected to pay thousands more for a back that will power itself if the firewire ports are flaky?

and before someone shows me an image of an overlit patio at 800 iso and says see how good it is be aware we don't use 800 iso when we have the ability to overlight.  we use it because we need that "film/digital" speed because the light levels have dropped, we're blending with continuous sources, or we just are mixing a lot of different lights for effect.  

you haven't met a person that prefers the regular series phase lcd compared to the plus?  we'll i guess you haven't shot on a rooftop or a beach because then you'd pay double for that old cell phone looking lcd because at least you could see something.

i just came off a rooftop with 18 clients and forget about tethering at 14 stores up and forget about showing them the lcd on the plus series because I can't see anything so I'm sure as hell positive they can't.

in fact in the last few weeks i've shot over 3,000 images and only 800 of those are with my plus backs and I've dragged those things have way around the world to use them.

honestly have you picked up a Nikon N90?  if you have you'd find that if medium format had the features of that little $800 camera there would be headlines on the front of every photography magazine that read "finally a medium format camera that works as easily as a film camera".

I don't get the medium format world, don't understand a single thing you sell or say.  I can give you reasons why I will shoot medium format when I can but those reasons are getting harder to justify everytime you guys introduce new product.  more megapixels, higher costs, software still in the very early stages of development and for the "future" potential of what a camera may or may not do.  

this is the same old song, for the same number of years and there is always an excuse.  it's ccds, it's the inability to source better lcds, it's the lenses are on the way, it's always something.   we keep asking for more stability, higher iso, lower prices and complete ready to buy cameras, including lenses and we keep getting more megpixels.

in fact, regarding software phase surprises me more than any company because their #1 benefit was the fact their software was stable and though I've just browsed through 4.5 I kind of wonder if they ever looked at lightroom.  phase 4.5 may produce better color than lightroom out of the can but it's got about 1/2 of the functionality of lightroom and less than that when it comes to stability.

no thanks man, I'm full.  if your company could/would give us what we keep asking for I might be inclined to write that $40,000 check, but not on the promise of buy today and see what might be delivered tomorrow.  

I don't care about brands, format size, lighting seminars or demonstrations.  I care about producing the most beautiful photograph my skills and budget allow and when there is a lot on the line, after 15 minutes on set no client cares about it either.   they only care about getting their shot and seeing a a beautiful preview and be very clear about this, clients consider it "their" shot.

try turning to one of those clients that just spent 5,  6 or even 7 figures on a shoot and say, sorry, but my camera just won't work in that light, or hey hold on, we're trying to get the software started but it's a new release and well, you know this digital stuff takes time.

I know about 15 photographers that have bought digital backs and I know that about 1/2 of them have sold them off.   they may have kept their cameras hoping for that nirvana back that doesn't cost 40 grand and will work as well as a Canon or Nikon, but  even of the ones that kept their digital backs, all of them have a 5d, 1ds3, or Nikon D3 in the bag and all of them go to it more and more of the time.

no customer asked phase to mention wi-fi, phase published that piece of information and gave the impression it was coming.  no photographer asked phase for software to hit the streets not ready for prime time, or to miss their own self imposed deadline and no photographer or client on this planet understands why most medium format lcd's look 1/4 as good as a little $800 camera.

now, since I'm not in the camera selling business maybe I'm wrong. maybe the p65+ will sell off the shelves in record numbers but I'd love to see a show of hands of who is gong to buy this today.

I'd also like their e-mail address because I'd love to sell them a condo I bought last year.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Phase One P65+
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2008, 02:29:12 pm »

Quote from: smhoer

Hahahaha,  so true. It sounds like you originally come from the technology guys pool (marketeers more often have a different point of view in my experience. I have been involved in high tech until the suits took over and development became the realm of lawyers and marketeers. Even more fun when you have hardware developers working together with software developers in the mix...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 02:30:22 pm by Dustbak »

smhoer

• http://www.skylightimaging.smugmug.com
Phase One P65+
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2008, 03:14:14 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
Hahahaha,  so true. It sounds like you originally come from the technology guys pool (marketeers more often have a different point of view in my experience. I have been involved in high tech until the suits took over and development became the realm of lawyers and marketeers. Even more fun when you have hardware developers working together with software developers in the mix...

Nope, I am the industry vertical guy brought in to help guide product concepts.  I have to try to get the two groups to "play nicely"  Photography is what keeps me sane enough to deal with them.  My two children are better behave than many of the adults at work.  

Bcooter: I agree.  Maybe the MFD firms should focus on the hardware and conncectivity and work with Adobe (or others) for the software.  Think of the R&D funds that would free up and the streamlined workflow.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:18:28 pm by smhoer »
Scott H.
North Carolina

TMARK

Phase One P65+
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2008, 04:03:36 pm »

Big Cooter speaks the truth.   I think the turning point came, for me anyway, with the P65+ intro and the publication of the price.  At the time, I was feeling very pushed by technology that didn't work as advertised, be it iPhone crashes/freezes, MFDB bullshit, OSX issues, C1 4.1 not tethering correctly, etc.  I was spending hours a day dealing with this crap.  I was also trying to collect from editorial clients with little luck, I was getting push back from clients on budgets and rates, payments coming in very slowly, health insurance not paying for labs, etc etc .  I was pissed at my Mamiya AFd.  The shutter lag was unbearable on a shoot.  I wanted to smash the body.  I was disapointed with teh AFdIII/Phase camera, because the lag is still there, and Phase wanted $8k for it.  The only issue I have with the Mamiya 645 cam and it still isn't improved, but Phase wants $8k for it with a real warranty.  I'm miffed by all this.  I had a G-Raid crap out on me and was rebuilding it when I saw the P65+ was announced, at $43,000. I realized, at that moment, with the collapse of the editorial market, magazines going under, general economic uncertainty and turmoil, frustration with technology, that I'm not the target market for Phase One.  

I am MUCH happier renting when I need it, which is only for high end beauty and some catalogue work.  I rented a Leaf A17/H2 (and a tech) for a catalogue shoot in New Orleans, but shot all the natural light stuff with a 5D or an RZ on 400VC.  I even broke out the Leica for some hot Tri-X action.  Technology did not get in the way of shooting.

Will I buy another back?  Sure will.  I wanted to buy a Sinar 54LV at the lower price but I'm not willing to go through a 10 page thread to find the US list price, then shake a best price deal out of a dealer, go through that bullshit.  If Sinar sold directly, had a US price on their site or through B&H that wasn't an inflated number, I'd have a 54LV.  And to tell you the truth, with the economic climate as it is, I think I'll hold off until next Spring. Although I was HOT TO TROT and buy a week and a half ago.

And as a general rant, what is up with the apologists? I can't believe some of the crap I read on these boards.

Quote from: bcooter
Steve,

I'm fine with digital equipment reps, dealers and all their new found associates putting their product in a favorable light.  that's your and their job and it should be expected.

what i'm not fine with using the word potential when it comes to what you product may, or may not eventually do.

if your selling to professional photographers and I assume you are, none of us would ever even think of selling ourselves into a project based on our "future" potential.

we have to prove we can do it before we even get a chance to produce an estimate and even then jump through more hoops, prove references, deliver exactly, actually deliver more than we promised for the prices we negotiated.

period.  

so before you talk about potential like gw says deliver first, talk about upgrades paths later.

as far as the plus backs they're ok, actually they are an upgrade just for the ability to tether through apple's flaky firewire ports, but as far as higher iso, there may be a 20% difference at best and I know because I've tested higher iso until my eyes bleed.   then again why should we be expected to pay thousands more for a back that will power itself if the firewire ports are flaky?

and before someone shows me an image of an overlit patio at 800 iso and says see how good it is be aware we don't use 800 iso when we have the ability to overlight.  we use it because we need that "film/digital" speed because the light levels have dropped, we're blending with continuous sources, or we just are mixing a lot of different lights for effect.  

you haven't met a person that prefers the regular series phase lcd compared to the plus?  we'll i guess you haven't shot on a rooftop or a beach because then you'd pay double for that old cell phone looking lcd because at least you could see something.

i just came off a rooftop with 18 clients and forget about tethering at 14 stores up and forget about showing them the lcd on the plus series because I can't see anything so I'm sure as hell positive they can't.

in fact in the last few weeks i've shot over 3,000 images and only 800 of those are with my plus backs and I've dragged those things have way around the world to use them.

honestly have you picked up a Nikon N90?  if you have you'd find that if medium format had the features of that little $800 camera there would be headlines on the front of every photography magazine that read "finally a medium format camera that works as easily as a film camera".

I don't get the medium format world, don't understand a single thing you sell or say.  I can give you reasons why I will shoot medium format when I can but those reasons are getting harder to justify everytime you guys introduce new product.  more megapixels, higher costs, software still in the very early stages of development and for the "future" potential of what a camera may or may not do.  

this is the same old song, for the same number of years and there is always an excuse.  it's ccds, it's the inability to source better lcds, it's the lenses are on the way, it's always something.   we keep asking for more stability, higher iso, lower prices and complete ready to buy cameras, including lenses and we keep getting more megpixels.

in fact, regarding software phase surprises me more than any company because their #1 benefit was the fact their software was stable and though I've just browsed through 4.5 I kind of wonder if they ever looked at lightroom.  phase 4.5 may produce better color than lightroom out of the can but it's got about 1/2 of the functionality of lightroom and less than that when it comes to stability.

no thanks man, I'm full.  if your company could/would give us what we keep asking for I might be inclined to write that $40,000 check, but not on the promise of buy today and see what might be delivered tomorrow.  

I don't care about brands, format size, lighting seminars or demonstrations.  I care about producing the most beautiful photograph my skills and budget allow and when there is a lot on the line, after 15 minutes on set no client cares about it either.   they only care about getting their shot and seeing a a beautiful preview and be very clear about this, clients consider it "their" shot.

try turning to one of those clients that just spent 5,  6 or even 7 figures on a shoot and say, sorry, but my camera just won't work in that light, or hey hold on, we're trying to get the software started but it's a new release and well, you know this digital stuff takes time.

I know about 15 photographers that have bought digital backs and I know that about 1/2 of them have sold them off.   they may have kept their cameras hoping for that nirvana back that doesn't cost 40 grand and will work as well as a Canon or Nikon, but  even of the ones that kept their digital backs, all of them have a 5d, 1ds3, or Nikon D3 in the bag and all of them go to it more and more of the time.

no customer asked phase to mention wi-fi, phase published that piece of information and gave the impression it was coming.  no photographer asked phase for software to hit the streets not ready for prime time, or to miss their own self imposed deadline and no photographer or client on this planet understands why most medium format lcd's look 1/4 as good as a little $800 camera.

now, since I'm not in the camera selling business maybe I'm wrong. maybe the p65+ will sell off the shelves in record numbers but I'd love to see a show of hands of who is gong to buy this today.

I'd also like their e-mail address because I'd love to sell them a condo I bought last year.

jing q

• we are super
Phase One P65+
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2008, 04:10:31 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Hi Jing:  

I don't disagree with anything you say here, but in your post above you seem to lump all the DB manufacturers into the same pile and without specifics like you shared above for Leaf.  I don't think the broad-blame approach is fair to the other manufacturers you do not have direct experience with -- that's all my point was  

Hope the issues related to your back get sorted out soon,

let's put it this way

I've used other backs,Leaf's one is already one of the more reliable ones.
I could be more specific but what's the point? There are tons of other people helping to chime in and fill you in on the specific problems they faced.
I don't have experience with a Sinar, but phase one and hassy had their fair share of problems, thanks.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Phase One P65+
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »

I've had something like this happen to me with my Phase back, and like you wrote, it always seemed to crop up at the worst possible times.  Well not sure I had the same issue you had, but mine turned out to be that when things were looking good I started to shoot faster, and faster, and ended up over shooting the back.  Once in a while, one frame in a fast sequence would get messed up.    Problem went away when I learned the pace of my back.  Actually it shouldn't happen either way, but still I feel that I was able to solve the problem myself by just knowing how my equipment (and myself) behaves under certain circumstances.  

Oh here's a quirk for you. It tends to happen at the most important shots. I'm not the only one with this problem I'm sure.
Leaf America has been great in helping me try to fix the issue, but I'm too tired to keep sending it back so I just learn to live with it. Especially after it happens even in the replacement back. Some of us actually have shoots and fly around here and there. We prefer not to spend enough time and energy on dealing with hardware issues.
I don't pay good money to troubleshoot the manufacturer's problems. I thought that's something that only happened in China when buying cheap crap.
If Canon had such a problem with their cameras the whole of dpreview would have ripped Canon to shreds. Funny how we MFDB just learn to live with the quirks of our backs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:11:02 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

GuyinSG

Phase One P65+
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 01:09:11 am »

Quote from: EricWHiss
I've had something like this happen to me with my Phase back, and like you wrote, it always seemed to crop up at the worst possible times.  Well not sure I had the same issue you had, but mine turned out to be that when things were looking good I started to shoot faster, and faster, and ended up over shooting the back.  Once in a while, one frame in a fast sequence would get messed up.    Problem went away when I learned the pace of my back.  Actually it shouldn't happen either way, but still I feel that I was able to solve the problem myself by just knowing how my equipment (and myself) behaves under certain circumstances.

Hey, I think we're missing the opportunity to make our jobs better and the clients happier.  Think of your 30k+ investment as an eco-friendly, green polaroid proof machine!  Get it all dialed in with your MFDB, get your client to sign off and then slap a roll of 120 on your camera and shoot away! Remember all those glorious images our forefathers used to create???  

OK, just joking!!!!

bcooter

Phase One P65+
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2008, 09:38:17 am »

Quote from: GuyinSG
Hey, I think we're missing the opportunity to make our jobs better and the clients happier.  Think of your 30k+ investment as an eco-friendly, green polaroid proof machine!  Get it all dialed in with your MFDB, get your client to sign off and then slap a roll of 120 on your camera and shoot away! Remember all those glorious images our forefathers used to create???  

OK, just joking!!!!

Not a bad joke.

a long time ago in a galaxy far far away I met with the polaroid people and asked for some kind of digital polaroid.  this was before iphone, itouch, wi-fi but I asked if there was some way that they could make a small megapixel digital back that fit like a polaroid back and had a wire that went to some kind of video device, like a small marshall monitor.  I said i'd pay $25,000 that minute for such a device.

they laughed, or somewhat laughed and said why would we do that, we would never sell any more polaroid film?

I never had problems with film, it was just polaroid i found too time consuming and unstable and under changing light conditions too hard to adjust.

anyway, they didn't make it, probably couldn't and now we're into the digital age where we have to use digital cameras as polaroid and make our own film, be our own lab, make our own contact sheets and web galleries and for many of us even do our on effecting, retouching and delivery.

just think though if somebody had made that polaroid device that covered everything from 6x7 to 35mm gave us a 4" lcd that was detailed and a client could hand hold and view.  then we just load film and shoot.

I would bet labs would still be around.

now take that one step further and just think how frustrating it would be if during the days of film, every time kodak or fuji made a new film emulsion it took a new lab machine to process it, or for the photographer if we had to buy a new camera and new lenses just to use the new film.

what I wonder is why Canon or nikon or epson doesn't make such a device for our cameras.  imagine the epson or canon hand held screen that would take in jpegs direct from the camera for display without having to carry a computer or a computer workstation?

Sean H

Phase One P65+
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 11:46:51 am »

Quote from: macfly
I'd love to chime in here on the design of the Hy6 and also the Mamiya vs H2/H3 systems.

I was really excite about the Hy6 until I spent about three minutes holding it. IMHO it is both plasticy and agricultural at the same time. I hated the layout of all the controls, and was very disappointed in the overall build quality and feel.

Could you please explain what you meant by the use of the word "agricultural" in your description of the Hy6, above?

Thanks

Sean

Graham Mitchell

Phase One P65+
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2008, 11:53:23 am »

Quote from: Sean H
Could you please explain what you meant by the use of the word "agricultural" in your description of the Hy6, above?

I was wondering the same, as you seemed to love the Mamiya RZ and that is about as 'agricultural' as these medium format SLRs get.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up