Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison of Epson 7900 versus HP Z3200  (Read 77726 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Comparison of Epson 7900 versus HP Z3200
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2008, 03:03:22 am »

Very good post , thanks.
I have always said, the Z spectro is firstly there for linearisation. Profiling afterwards is optional, and open enough that they have a SDK that the rip makers took them up on. One can argue the drift on thermal heads has more deviation than Peizo, thus Epson don't need linearisation per media/session .   For the average photographer this is probably true, and the same level of tolerance and acceptance goes with it. What an onboard spectro does is removes as much variation from the total package and ultimately brings repeatability to it's highest level whatever the print head technology. If you throw in the options for profiling and print verification , so much the better.

Canon have a colorimeter of sorts, filtered lights to make a LUT for the measured response of the system. This is not the same as a spectro, and is really necessary for larger deviations in mechanical changes, much less so than environmental, or subtle media / ink changes.

I have always appreciated HP having the makers of the printers on show floors in recent times. They are the ones who built it, thus can answer anything in their capacity about HP printers. Both Epson and Canon have engineers there too but they are not as accessible. I have always appreciated Epson having top tier users that, although are doing their promotion, are in fact , very qualified users that also can answer almost any question thrown at them. Canon and HP have some of them too , but it seems on Epson stands, these power users are more present.

One last thing, the fade testing has to be done with accelerated tests. WIR has proposed new changes and applied a lot of new tests to better adapt to things like humidity, OBA, etc. Until now all tests were based upon flat colours mean change over  time extrapolated for fade predictions. Yet these are flat colours , images and composites might well react differently with different proportions of inks and their dilutions.
It is probable that the primaries aren't as lightfast as the darker colours. Yet to be seen.

When you said the primaries replace the CMYK inks it is actually a replacement in certain densities , and a color map by screening that determines the actual content in images. Only through a rip will the single channel control be possible for total replacement.

Photographer1

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2008, 12:48:27 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
From my (very) limited printing experience view I would agree, even with profiles you still need to learn how a paper will look when printed. So limiting your choice of paper is the first step, I don't see the need to spend a fortune on print profile calibration machinery when you only need a small number of papers and profiles.
Kevin.

So if the paper makers supply profiles for the best printers and the 7900 and 9900 will be bests... why do your own profiling or pay a 3rd party for it? With the tremendous standardization of chemical ink making and CNC milling equipment that makes such exact parts I'm wondering if there is enough variation as a practical matter to need a rip or profile from anyone but the paper maker?

rdonson

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2008, 01:06:17 pm »

Quote from: Photographer1
So if the paper makers supply profiles for the best printers and the 7900 and 9900 will be bests... why do your own profiling or pay a 3rd party for it? With the tremendous standardization of chemical ink making and CNC milling equipment that makes such exact parts I'm wondering if there is enough variation as a practical matter to need a rip or profile from anyone but the paper maker?

If you buy an Epson 7900 or 9900 and limit yourself to Epson papers I think you'll be happy with the profiles Epson provides.  I think a number of them have been crafted by Pixel Genius and are of very high quality.

If you choose a paper from another source, Hahnemuhle, Moab, Harmon, Ilford, etc, the profiles they provide probably aren't going to be as high a quality as Epson provides for its papers.
Regards,
Ron

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2008, 01:43:55 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
If you buy an Epson 7900 or 9900 and limit yourself to Epson papers I think you'll be happy with the profiles Epson provides.  I think a number of them have been crafted by Pixel Genius and are of very high quality.

To be accurate, PG has only made profiles for Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. The rest of the "SP" profiles have been made by Epson US. As for 3rd party paper, my experience is that they vary wildly from maker to maker and printer to printer. To the point that somebody buying a printer like this would not be the sort to use "generic" paper profiles from 3rd party paper makers.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 09:40:43 pm »

Printers now, especially the Epson 900 series, are capable of excellent results. Standard profiles are still generic and results are average. To get what is possible from these printers , one requirement is a number of custom profiles. You need diferent profiles for 1440 dpi and 2880 dpi, and for different renderings. For example Perceptual renderings can be made using different remapping priorities eg for perceived luminosity or colour. Special profiles are required for certain colours eg gold and silver.
Seperate profiles are requires for monochrome prints. Profiles can be built to optimise viewing under specified gallery or museum lighting conditions. The use of RIPs  and differing dithering algorithms will necessitate different profiles.
It all depends on the quality you require.
Most photographers not involved in exacting work like products, reproduction or fine art,  will be perfectly happy with Epson profiles when using Epson products and a good custom profile from a highly regarded profile builder  for non-Epson media.
In fact most would be perfectly happy , and save money buying a 880 printer or even an old ,and now very cheap, 800 printer, especially if not into high volume or lots of photo-matte ink swaps.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Schewe

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 10:41:10 pm »

Quote from: Brian Gilkes
Printers now, especially the Epson 900 series, are capable of excellent results. Standard profiles are still generic and results are average. To get what is possible from these printers , one requirement is a number of custom profiles.

So far, with the exception of Epson Exhibition Fiber (which Epson doesn't provide a profile for), the current driver installed profiles are just as good as the custom profiles I've made to compare them against, so I don't believe this is true with the 900 series (nor my experience with my 7880).

The unit to unit variation on Epson Pro printers is down in the area where spectro accuracy may get in the way of producing a better profile. Yes, both ProfileMaker and Profiler software offers options that can impact the resulting profile (Epson US has been using Profiler and an i1iSis to make the US released SP profiles and PG used an i1iSis with OBC  and ProfileMaker for ours). When we tested multiple targets from 4 separate targets printed on 4 different printers for the 7880/9880 there was less than a 1.0 Delta E in the targets readings...

However, the moment you move off of the Epson media, the quality of 3rd party paper profiles vary...alot!

Also note that both HP and Canon user MUST make custom profiles for their printers (one of the reasons HP included a spectro) because neither can really achieve anywhere near the same unit to unit variations.

So, yes, I had to make an EFP profile for my 7900, but after doing a few custom profiles for Epson media, I gave up. YMMV...

rdonson

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2008, 07:53:16 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Also note that both HP and Canon user MUST make custom profiles for their printers (one of the reasons HP included a spectro) because neither can really achieve anywhere near the same unit to unit variations.

Actually, I think that the calibration performed in the HP with the spectro brings each printer to a state that is close to the Epson unit to unit variations.  That has allowed many to share profiles across the Z printers with good results.  I don't have any test data to verify this though.  Creating profiles is a different activity from calibration in the HP Z machines.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

Quote from: rdonson
Actually, I think that the calibration performed in the HP with the spectro brings each printer to a state that is close to the Epson unit to unit variations.  That has allowed many to share profiles across the Z printers with good results.  I don't have any test data to verify this though.  Creating profiles is a different activity from calibration in the HP Z machines.

Not sure, I think it's the way Jeff said it. True , the inter device agreement on the Epson is a very tight tolerance. HP with user replaceable heads, and thermal tech, have a larger deviation. This is also a deviation that moves about during the life of the heads more than Piezo.
With the spectro the mean deviation is brought down to similar deviation of Epson inter device "deviation" agreement or tolerances if you like. The biggest variation with HP Z printers then is the instrument precision and spectro inter device agreement in proper terms.
That is surprisingly  a larger deviation than the printer calibrations themselves.

And yes I have seen studies on all three printers deviation stats. Jeff is right in this sense, the only omission is humidity changes the standard deviation by an amount larger than the HP spectro calibration will bring it back into calibration. Unless there is a hygrometer onboard for the 79+9900 I don't know. There is on the HP 6100, 5500 etc, which corrects for RH with a lut.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2008, 09:22:42 am »

Quote from: neil snape
Not sure, I think it's the way Jeff said it. True , the inter device agreement on the Epson is a very tight tolerance. HP with user replaceable heads, and thermal tech, have a larger deviation. This is also a deviation that moves about during the life of the heads more than Piezo.
With the spectro the mean deviation is brought down to similar deviation of Epson inter device "deviation" agreement or tolerances if you like. The biggest variation with HP Z printers then is the instrument precision and spectro inter device agreement in proper terms.
That is surprisingly  a larger deviation than the printer calibrations themselves.

And yes I have seen studies on all three printers deviation stats. Jeff is right in this sense, the only omission is humidity changes the standard deviation by an amount larger than the HP spectro calibration will bring it back into calibration. Unless there is a hygrometer onboard for the 79+9900 I don't know. There is on the HP 6100, 5500 etc, which corrects for RH with a lut.

But to what degree does it have an effect on printing practice ?
I see all the recent Epson and HP models represented and qualified in Fogra etc tests like mentioned on the GMG site.
The tests are stringent enough for proofing so ....

http://www.gmgcolor.com/fileadmin/user_upl...MG_21894_EN.pdf

I'm sure GMG will do its best to get the printers in perfect condition/control but it is unlikely that they start with a model that isn't consistent enough in its basics.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

neil snape

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2008, 10:58:27 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
But to what degree does it have an effect on printing practice ?
I see all the recent Epson and HP models represented and qualified in Fogra etc tests like mentioned on the GMG site.
The tests are stringent enough for proofing so ....

http://www.gmgcolor.com/fileadmin/user_upl...MG_21894_EN.pdf

I'm sure GMG will do its best to get the printers in perfect condition/control but it is unlikely that they start with a model that isn't consistent enough in its basics.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

On the Colorsync forum there are users who calibrate for the drift to keep them in tolerance. So for those who care enough they all have to be calibrated regardless of brand. It is just very easy when you have an onboard spectro, both for which Epson x900 and HP Z series have.

MHMG

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2008, 07:53:44 pm »

My digital print research program is still in its very early formative stages with only a limited number of "early adopters" contributing print samples at this time, but as the program grows, one of the studies that will eventually come out of this research is generic versus custom profile quality. One needs a good statistical sampling submitted by users on numerous machines of the same make and model and a few key models in the study before definitive conclusions can be drawn. That said, I have a sense already that a study of generic versus custom profiles will demonstrate significant benefit by the use of custom profiles. Samples submitted by members of my research program already seem to confirm some of the trends already mentioned in this thread. I can summarize my observations so far as follows:

1) With Epson X800 series printers and K3 ink when using Epson media and Epson (or Pixel genius) supplied generic profiles, the sample prints submitted to me have been excellent, and hard to distinquish by eye from samples where custom profiles were made on these printers with Epson media (.e.g, Epson Premium Luster, Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art, etc). A standardized target with 12 distinct hues at varying chroma levels plus specific skin tones, grays, and near gray scales is being printed by all members that submit samples to me.

2). Generic profiles from third party paper manufacturers (Hahnemuhle, Crane, etc) show far more inconsistencies, even for the Epson X800 printers. They are made with different profiling software, some of which produce significant "hooking" and tonal inversions in high chroma colors. The target colors being printed by my members are all within gamut of the sRGB colorspace, so the high chroma colors are not pushing the boundaries of color all that hard yet some goofy transitions occur nonetheless.  Another big problem with generic profiles is that the instructions for use of these profiles is often inadequate. It is sometimes exceedingly difficult to figure out what the correct driver settings are for use with the generic profile.  When I visit the media manufacturer websites, download profiles and documentation, and then try to match vendor data with the appropriate driver settings I am often left with an incomplete list of the required menu settings.  Apparently, my members are guessing as well at times when printing with these profiles, because they submit samples with documented driver settings that I often can't verify from the chosen media/generic profile documentation.  Thus, generic profiles appear to be problematic on three counts, a) they can't  account for specific inter device variability when it exists b), temperature and humidity effects on ink/paper performance are real and may not be accounted for (even with a custom profile if only one calibration/profile is used across four distinct seasons), and c) reproducing the third party generic supplied profile settings is sometimes very questionable!

One more issue to consider.... do relatively inexpensive profiling apps like Xrite colormunki or Datacolor Spyder Print do better at making custom profiles when compared to generic profiles supplied by media manufacturers? Are budget profiling apps a better alternative for some users who don't need lots of profile making productivity, but do intend to profile enough to justify purchasing the budget priced profiling software?

These are challenging questions to which one can merely speculate without a larger statistical study and a well executed design of experiment. I am beginning to address the parameters of such a study because this information is highly relevant to today's digital printmaking environment. I hope to get some pragmatic answers with the help of my contributing members.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

dseelig

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2008, 11:21:34 pm »

One other thing to consider, is ink wastage. I had an epson 7600 it wastes ink rapidily my hp z3100 is much more frugal with ink. I do not know how the epson 7900 is but epson's track history with ink wastage is huge.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:22:02 pm by dseelig »

Schewe

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2008, 02:00:20 am »

Quote from: dseelig
I do not know how the epson 7900 is but epson's track history with ink wastage is huge.

Correct, you don't and the 79/9900 (as well as the 11800) have redesigned all new style heads with intensive anti-clogging and reduced ink consumption (for other than printing). Really, the 7600 is now three generation old...really old tech.

neil snape

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2008, 05:17:52 am »

The Z 3100+3200 have GE that effectively reduces bronzing and gloss differential to a bare minimum. From what I have seen it does better on certain papers than others. When it does better that is to say it does better than any other printer out there in LFP. Yet on some or many third party papers the underlaying inks actually bronze and or have large Gloss Diff problems, so adding GE over this does not mask or correct it. In those cases Epson K3, VM, and the new inksets do better except for the small amount of GD that will be around the paper whites against blacks.

I just got back from the Patrick Demarchalier expo where all prints were inkjet, which I presume on an Epson 11880. You have to get down on your knees and look for any GD, and there is no bronzing.

With the little time I had looking at the 79+9900 prints I didn't look into the new primaries , how if, or where they have problems of GD, and or bronzing. If there were any glaring problems I would have seen it straight off. There aren't but I cannot say as GD is sometimes infrequently seen in composite colors at certain densities, and certain papers.

Schewe

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »

Quote from: georgek
My question is about bronzing on the 7900 using Epson Prem Luster and Semi Gloss papers.

Bronzing or gloss differential? Two very different things...I've not seen any "bronzing" since the original UltraChrome K3 inks were introduced in the original 800 series printers. As far as gloss differential, it can be there depending on the paper. To me, it's not a thing I worry about. Matted and framed, I would challenge anybody to consider it a "big deal".

HP on the other hand with their pigment inks was FORCED to deploy a gloss enhancer because their inks resembled the original Epson pigment inks with really bad GD. Epson had played with a GE in their R890 & 1800 printers designed to print on really glossy paper. So, rather than have to devote an entire channel for a clear glop, they redesigned the resins in the inks to minimize it, which they have done. Can you see it if you look hard enough? I suppose...is it objectionable? Not to me and it's invisible once matted, framed and hanging on a wall. YMMV

alan a

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2008, 12:04:36 am »

Quote from: Schewe
As far as gloss differential, it can be there depending on the paper. To me, it's not a thing I worry about. Matted and framed, I would challenge anybody to consider it a "big deal".

HP on the other hand with their pigment inks was FORCED to deploy a gloss enhancer because their inks resembled the original Epson pigment inks with really bad GD. Epson had played with a GE in their R890 & 1800 printers designed to print on really glossy paper. So, rather than have to devote an entire channel for a clear glop, they redesigned the resins in the inks to minimize it, which they have done. Can you see it if you look hard enough? I suppose...is it objectionable? Not to me and it's invisible once matted, framed and hanging on a wall. YMMV

Quote from: neil snape
I hadn't been able to print my images on the same or similar paper at Photokina but can say that what I saw confirms gloss differential is controlled by HP to the point of a non issue for GD, but don't forget the increase in cost and printing time, and fragility of the surface. Epson has very GD by nature, but is not completely eliminated, nor is it for any pigment printer I have seen to date.

It is extremely variable though on different surfaces. For example, at the Innova stand they had all three brands of printers. Kind of surprising to see , they had many great images printed on bad combinations of media and image style. On certain media the Epson VM inkset and the 7900 had substantial GD on glossy Innova (can't remember the name), as did the Canon too. HP with GE there was little or rather none in the highlights.

So say what you will, but remember the media is just as important as the inkset. The same is true on HP, as without GE it can sometimes be quite poor, whereas both Epson and Canon get the job done well. One of the reasons I felt when the Z 3100 was released the GE was not marketed as an important element as it should have been. It is a good solution, one that works. IF not for GE, the inkset they have is not up to par with the others as far as gloss diff goes.

I'm not a big fan of HP.  I own a Z3100 and have noted in this thread and other threads that I have seriously considered selling it and switching to Epson.  I think HP customer service, tech support, software and drivers are clearly inferior to Epson.  And the new 7900 is probably superior to the Z3200 in yet other areas.  So I am not a partisan defender of HP, and in fact have been very critical of HP.

Having said that, the above criticism of HP, and implied defense of Epson by Schewe, is simply not balanced.  Or accurate.

The readers of the forum only have to run their own test.  Take a print on photo paper that has clear evidence of gloss differential** (GD).  Put a piece of glass over it.  I did that in response to the above posting by Schewe and his flat assertion that GD is "invisible once matted, framed and hanging on a wall."  I used examples of GD printed on Epson Luster from both the Epson 4000 and the HP Z3100 when printed without gloss enhancer.

Can you see the GD?  Yes.  You can see GD just as clearly through glass as without a mat and glass.  That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Test it yourself.

Partisan attacks on HP don't change that.  Schewe's reference to GE as "clear glop" is simply a cheap shot, and a debating ploy to change the subject,  that doesn't address the issue. The plain fact of the matter is that HP solved GD with the Gloss Enhancer (GE).  Did they have to do it because their inks fail some other standard as asserted above?  I don't know.  What I do know is that combination of HP inks with GE has come very close to entirely eliminating GD.  On top of it, I understand that the Z3200 works even better in that regard with control over the application of GD, although I can't personally attest to that.  

See the above quote from Neil Snape, who has used both printers, and his assessment of GD and GE on the HP Z series.  Neil states that "what I saw confirms gloss differential is controlled by HP to the point of a non issue for GD," and that "I felt when the Z 3100 was released the GE was not marketed as an important element as it should have been. It is a good solution, one that works."  With regards to Epson, Neil reports that "On certain media the Epson VM inkset and the 7900 had substantial GD."

Here is my interpretation of the above assertions on behalf of Epson.  Epson has not solved GD, based on statements from those who have used both the Z3100/3200 and the 7900.  So that assertion that GD doesn't matter when framed is a weak defense of a problem that still exists with the 7900.

The degree to which GD still exists is something that we each must individually evaluate -- assuming that you live near one of the largest metro areas in the US and can see both printers in operation.  If you don't live in such an urbran area, you must depend upon the reports from those who have used both printers.

Finally, there is a real pattern here in the approach used to defend Epson.  Epson has, thus far, failed to address two of the strengths of the HP Z3100, even though it appeared on the market two or three years ago.  HP revolutionized the market with their on-board spectro for PROFILING PAPERS and GE.  

So the current defense of Epson is to assert that these features are not important, and therefore it is not an issue that Epson has still not included these features in their new printers.  That is about all that Epson can say, when HP has the features, and Epson does not.

The fact of the matter is that HP is marketing a printer for about the same price that still includes two very nice features that Epson lacks.  The Epson marketing guys blew it, especially on the spectro, when they didn't include utilities to make profiles (based on reports in in this thread).   Epson has had close to three years to address these advantages in the HP printers as compared with Epson printers that lack those features.  

Epson just plain dropped the ball, and arguing that these features aren't important doesn't change that.

The degree to which these HP features matter to a consumer is a decision to be made by each consumer who is looking at both printers in the same price range.  But calling GE "clear glop" does not change the fact that it works, and works well.  And then there are those who argue that an on-board spectro is not important, and the profiling of papers can be handled through other options -- even though it is available on a very good printer for about the same price as the Epson so why not buy a printer with that option instead of one without the option?  Others argue that a spectro is not critical to the actual performance of a printer.  But the same can't be said for GD and GE, can it?   GD has everything to do with the actual performance of the printer.  In the case of the spectro, the argument is also made that a manual package can be used so there is another alternative.  But that is not the case with GD, unless some spray in a can that can be applied outside in an open area.  Frankly, I'll take the HP solution, that is applied indoors, and as part of the printing process, rather than spray in a can.

Individual consumers can judge GD for themselves, if they can find a dealer with both printers who can run the tests, assuming that you live in one of the largest urban areas of the country.  I will see if Epson will print a test image from a DVD at one of the Print Academies demos for that purpose, since a 7900 will not be available in my area.  If Epson declines to do such a comparison, I will report that, and I suspect that they will use any of a number of excuses to refuse to spend three minutes to print an 11x14. If so, I'll report that as well. If Epson has come very close to eliminating GD with its new inks, I will be the first to eat crow, report that fact, and applaud the Epson solution.

** (I am using the term GD to refer to a clear difference between areas with ink versus plain white paper for complete white, and also when that appears in areas of gray or black.  If this bronzing, rather than GD, then use that term.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:15:51 pm by alan a »

Schewe

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2008, 01:52:04 am »

Quote from: alan a
I used examples of GD printed on Epson Luster from both the Epson 4000 and the HP Z3100 when printed without gloss enhancer.

Ya see, the problem there is you are using an ink set in the 4000 that is 3 (count them 3) full generations away from the 79/9900. The UC K3 improved on the GD and so does the UC HDR...so, you are comparing old tech against the HP. I suggest you check it against a print from the 78/9880 series to see the improvements already made and then compare against the UC HDR and see that it's minimized yet again against your old tech.

I haven't dealt with a print from the old 600 series for several years, I was talking about prints from the 7880 and now the 7900 that I've made and framed...GD is simply not an issue.

As far as the "clear glop", that's not an attack on HP...Epson did the same thing with the R1800 and R1900 printers...and to me it is a clear glop. With the R1900 printing on super glossy photo paper (which I only do for 4x6 snapshots) the clear glop helps eliminate any GD which is useful when looking at tiny prints. Make no mistake, HP _HAD_ to address the inherent GD of their inks which, like the earlier Epson inks produces more GD. Epson chose to address the issue with a redesign of the new ink resins because their current inks don't show the GD the way HP's current inks do. Also note that HP pretty much HAD to put on an onboard spectro because of the inherent unit to unit variations. Epson chose to provide an onboard spectro for the proofing industry to address printer linearizing and to pass proof certifications. Two entirely different reasons and product solutions...will photo printers want the spectro? I don't know, but it wasn't designed for that use case, so prolly not.

If Epson declines to do such a comparison, I will report that, and I suspect that they will use any of a number of excuses to refuse to spend three minutes to print an 11x14. If so, I'll report that as well. If Epson has come very close to eliminating GD with its new inks, I will be the first to eat crow, report that fact, and applaud the Epson solution.

The schedule for the day of the Epson Print Academy Track II is tight enough as it stands so I'll pretty much tell you that the odds of us doing test prints from YOUR images is slight. The only paper we'll be printing on is either 17x22 or 24x30 Epson Exhibition Fiber paper unless JP want to print on Ultrasmooth Fine Art. The only Luster we'll have are small sheets for doing head alignments.

You'll be welcome to look at all the example prints that we'll be printing but they are not intended to be taken away.

What the individual dealers will or won't be able to do isn't up to me. You are welcome to try them...

As for the rest of your "assertions", you are welcome to your opinions...they are not shared by me.

Schewe

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 01:56:13 am »

Oh, and by the way, I believe Michael _IS_ getting a 7900 pretty soon...and I think he has a 3100 that he can compare it against, should he be so inclined to do so...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2008, 04:09:09 am »

Quote from: georgek
Hi Jeff,

I've asked Wayne Fox the same question in a different thread but didn't get back to me, he's maybe away. My question is about bronzing on the 7900 using Epson Prem Luster and Semi Gloss papers. I want to buy one more printer to use along the 44in Z3100 I'm using right now and I'm looking to get either the new 7900 or the Z3200. I went to one of the big labs here in London to print a test file on their 9800 and I was really surprised at the amount of bronzing. The test file was printed on Epson Semi Gloss and the Bronzing was unacceptable. You're one of the few using a 7900. Have you've printed with any Epson luster, gloss/semi gloss papers on a 7900 and if yes, is bronzing an issue. New Epson printers will be available in UK towards end 08 or beginning 09. If bronzing is not an issue I could wait for the 7900 otherwise I'm going to get a Z3200 now...

Many thanks.

Best
George

Sorry George, I must have missed that question.

I am in agreement with Jeff here ... I have not had an an issue with bronzing since the 9800 printer was introduced, and my 11880 printer has no issues with it.  Perhaps he is correct in thinking you were referring to gloss differential?

I am not aware of how the GO on HP printers work, but I do know it can be use to control both bronzing and gloss differential.  I was sent an ipf5000 printer by Canon shortly before they were introduced and bronzing was a major problem on some papers.  They also sent me an ipf6100 when they were introduced, and the new black inks have addressed that problem quite well.  Whether HP is using it to control both problems or just gloss differential I do not know.

The ability to see gloss differential is a function of ink and paper, as well as the image itself and the viewing conditions.  For gloss differential to become visible with the 11880 on Epson Luster it seems to require a nearly pure white area, which is bordered by a very dark area ... even then it is not obvious.  A soft light source makes it more visible, small direct spot type lighting makes it pretty much non visible.

I also feel that once you mat and frame the image under glass, gloss differential becomes pretty irrelevant.   To see gloss differential on a stationary print, you have to move around and look for it.  You can't see it from straight on which is how the print is typically viewed ... especially by someone examining it closely.  You have to get the right angle of light reflecting off of the print.  If it is in your hand and you are moving it around there is a higher likelihood for you to spot the problem.  Also the type of light counts ... with a big soft light (like the banks of color corrected fluorescents in my print room) it can be more apparent - if you are looking for it.  Take that same print to a location where it is under pretty direct light such as spots ... much less likely to see it. Finally, under glass on a wall the reflections of the glass also comes in to play.  So I'm with Jeff on this one as well.

I guess what I'm saying is if you put everything in perspective, it seems to require a perfect storm of circumstances for gloss differential to become an issue for a well done print on a wall under glass.  I pay no attention to gloss differential in preparing my prints on the 11880.  Of course, there are very little areas of almost 0 ink in most of my work.

However, tonight I happen to be printing a new version of an old image. I've attached a small version so you can see what I was looking at.  The sun is 255,255,255 - blown might one way to describe it.  While it isn't next to a real dark area, there is enough of an ink load to make gloss differential viewable.  There are also quite a few highlights in the water which are blown.   So I tried a few things just for fun.  I had a test print on Epson Premium Luster, and final prints done on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.  In my print room, which is lit by 2 banks of 4 foot color corrected fluorescents under a heavy diffuser (very soft), it was a struggle to see Gloss differential on the Luster print anywhere - it took a fair amount of tilting and shifting to get an angle that would show any.  With the Exhibition fiber I could move the print around  and the gloss differential was more apparent ... not objectionable but visible.  Laying the print on a table I could move around and see the gloss differential, but it took quite a bit of angle.  I then placed a mat and glass over the print, and it was more difficult - yes I can see it if I tried, but in no way would I feel this an issue if selling the print.

I took the prints upstairs to my kitchen which is lit by ceiling can lights that contain small reflector bulbs - small very directional lights.  I really couldn't see any gloss differential on the Luster, and had to look really hard and move the paper around just right to get an angle where I could see it on the exhibition fiber - barely.  Laying that print on the counter under the mat and glass I could not see any gloss differential.

Not sure if any of this is useful or not.  I do know that I tested the z3100 for 2 weeks ... specifically for the appeal of the GO, and felt it's output wasn't much better than the 9800 I was using at the time.  I would never even consider giving up my 11880 and whatever minute gloss differential it exhibits to gain that feature from a z3100. (nor would i give it up for any other feature of the z3100 for that matter, including the on board spectro).

[attachment=9366:LaJollaBird_500WEB.jpg]

(PS .. just a quick plug for LR 2.0 and ACR 5.0 .. I have processed this image, from the original Kodak DCS back,  on several occasions over many years, and have always fought banding and other issues.  My RAW processing skills have improved over the years, but this image has always been challenging ... until now.  For the first time I finally have an image I like, thanks to these new tools from Adobe with the new local adjustments.)

JimGoshorn

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2008, 09:24:20 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
The sun is 255,255,255 - blown might one way to describe it.  While it isn't next to a real dark area, there is enough of an ink load to make gloss differential viewable.

Out of curiosity Wayne, have you ever tested how much you'd have to lower the "blown" values to completely eliminate GD? Just wondering if lowering to 252 or 253 would be sufficient with the newer ink sets.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up