Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 214   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1790241 times)

Chairman Bill

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3352
    • flickr page
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2180 on: July 03, 2010, 07:32:46 am »

I've just done my first paid assignment - covering a christening/baptism for a friend's daughter. I've no time personally for supernaturalist mumbo-jumbo, but if other people want to, and I get paid something for it ...

Anyway, it now seems I am to face an influx of requests from various parents for photos of their kids. I suddenly need to learn lots more about portraiture! Any advice & recommendations (books, software etc) welcome.

So, here's one of the photos, snapped as the kids were playing after the event. All the best ones were the informal shots.

[attachment=22911:Freya__med_.jpg]

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25129
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2181 on: July 03, 2010, 09:21:14 am »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
I've just done my first paid assignment - covering a christening/baptism for a friend's daughter. I've no time personally for supernaturalist mumbo-jumbo, but if other people want to, and I get paid something for it ...

Anyway, it now seems I am to face an influx of requests from various parents for photos of their kids. I suddenly need to learn lots more about portraiture! Any advice & recommendations (books, software etc) welcome.

So, here's one of the photos, snapped as the kids were playing after the event. All the best ones were the informal shots.

[attachment=22911:Freya__med_.jpg]



You have answered your own question; ignore and do not seek outside advice but trust your instincts.

Rob C

fredjeang

  • Guest
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2182 on: July 03, 2010, 10:07:42 am »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
I've just done my first paid assignment - covering a christening/baptism for a friend's daughter. I've no time personally for supernaturalist mumbo-jumbo, but if other people want to, and I get paid something for it ...

Anyway, it now seems I am to face an influx of requests from various parents for photos of their kids. I suddenly need to learn lots more about portraiture! Any advice & recommendations (books, software etc) welcome.

So, here's one of the photos, snapped as the kids were playing after the event. All the best ones were the informal shots.

[attachment=22911:Freya__med_.jpg]
Funny, just a little before your post some content where precisely talking about that.
Best luck and as Rob said, trust your intuition.
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2183 on: July 05, 2010, 04:29:29 am »

I always love the movement of dancers and sometime we do a session with only jumps.
These are some results from this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:29:49 am by Frank Doorhof »
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25129
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2184 on: July 05, 2010, 06:08:13 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
I always love the movement of dancers and sometime we do a session with only jumps.
These are some results from this weekend.




And in her sister's film, Life through a Lens, Annie L says that she discovered that it is impossible to photograph dance.

This will have come as a surprise to those hardy souls who made a career out of trying to do just that - maybe ballet had more than its fair share - but I suspect that now it's all about film/video. Dance is motion; dance is not ice.

Alas, I can no more dance than I can sing.

Rob C

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2185 on: July 05, 2010, 11:54:17 pm »

I was in Venice a little while ago and shoot these but never did anything with them until now.  I recently bought an account at Agency Access, a company that provides contacts with art buyers, and opened a stock site through Photo Shelter.  I also am being taken on by a new stock company that works through Photo Shelter.  These are some of the image I will be making available for stock.  And of course, aside from the image with the gondolier, all of the images with people will only be made available for editorial use.
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2186 on: July 08, 2010, 02:30:08 pm »

A few from today.
Logged

clawery

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 512
    • http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2187 on: July 08, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »

Here is one from my shoot today:

Chris Lawery
Accent Decor
(404)234-4195
Logged

fredjeang

  • Guest
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2188 on: July 08, 2010, 04:24:05 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
A few from today.
Madrid is 40 grades, damn humid and hot today...
Very hot!
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25129
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2189 on: July 08, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Madrid is 40 grades, damn humid and hot today...
Very hot!



Today, the shutters were closed all morning to keep the light out, I went off to eat, came back from the five minute drive just in time for the aircon to reach comfortable as I switched off, and then back into the dark at home.

I hate damn muggy weather like this; I love those cold, brilliant winter days when you can see forever and touch the mountains that disappear in summer.

To have this humidity in a city must be unbearable. Maybe that's why they shoot each other in New York at certain times of year.

Rob C

david.westphal

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 87
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2190 on: July 08, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »

Quote from: 2jbourret
Another recent landscape, from a trip to Moab.[attachment=22779:CF013472_2.jpg]


There are a couple of posts complimenting this image.  I think it's good but it could be better.  I think that the design of the image could be a little more dynamic.  If you look at the main graphic elements of the image, the cactus in the lower part of the frame, the butte and the element set against the sky on the horizon, all line up in essentially a vertical row.  The eye really doesn't have that much to lead it through the entire image.  It's essentially a vertical trip through the image.  I always find landscape images much more dynamic when the main graphic elements are set so that the eye travels through the image in a 3 dimension space.  Did you attempt variations on this composition?  I'd like to see some variations.  There might be something more dynamic.  I do this all the time, sort of like a meditation on a composition.  It's interesting how you can track the development of your image through this type of exercise.

Just a thought.  

I'm sure there will be some backlash, but if you consider what I wrote with an open mind, you will find my point valid.

David
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:37:14 pm by david.westphal »
Logged

Dick Roadnight

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1730
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2191 on: July 09, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »

Quote from: david.westphal
There are a couple of posts complimenting this image.  I think it's good but it could be better.  I think that the design of the image could be a little more dynamic.  If you look at the main graphic elements of the image, the cactus in the lower part of the frame, the butte and the element set against the sky on the horizon, all line up in essentially a vertical row.  The eye really doesn't have that much to lead it through the entire image.  It's essentially a vertical trip through the image.  I always find landscape images much more dynamic when the main graphic elements are set so that the eye travels through the image in a 3 dimension space.  Did you attempt variations on this composition?  I'd like to see some variations.  There might be something more dynamic.  I do this all the time, sort of like a meditation on a composition.  It's interesting how you can track the development of your image through this type of exercise.

Just a thought.  

I'm sure there will be some backlash, but if you consider what I wrote with an open mind, you will find my point valid.

David
It is always very difficult to criticise the composition of a landscape, as we viewers do not know what there might have been just out of shot... generally the norm is to say nothing if you do not like a picture, but I agree with you.

I think that cropping the left edge might help the perspective of the strata on the main outcrop lead the eye into the picture.

I think that the camera height and time of day give a good sense of depth, and "better" colour in the distance would have killed the aerial perspective and detracted from that sense of depth.

As with most landscapes, I think a longer lens might have produced a more pleasing result.

I think a viewpoint farther to the left might have been better.
Logged
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

fredjeang

  • Guest
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2192 on: July 09, 2010, 06:03:13 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
It is always very difficult to criticise the composition of a landscape, as we viewers do not know what there might have been just out of shot... generally the norm is to say nothing if you do not like a picture, but I agree with you.

I think that cropping the left edge might help the perspective of the strata on the main outcrop lead the eye into the picture.

I think that the camera height and time of day give a good sense of depth, and "better" colour in the distance would have killed the aerial perspective and detracted from that sense of depth.

As with most landscapes, I think a longer lens might have produced a more pleasing result.

I think a viewpoint farther to the left might have been better.
Yes, in a constructive way, I join the Dick's points. I would crop the left edge. The rock on this area makes the eyes escape.
Cropping the left gives dynamism and settle the composition stronger.
IMHO.
Cheers.
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2193 on: July 10, 2010, 11:09:01 am »

Again some with just the bright sun as a change to the studio work.
Logged

LKaven

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1060
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2194 on: July 10, 2010, 11:57:38 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Again some with just the bright sun as a change to the studio work.
Frank -- way to show people how to improvise and make use of whatever is at hand to get the shot!  Production designers are great, but in the end, like a jazz musician, it's just you and your axe.

fredjeang

  • Guest
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2195 on: July 10, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Again some with just the bright sun as a change to the studio work.
Great Frank! Love those pics.
They have an instantaneous smell and like the color treatement too.
And after the previous sexy ones, considering the extreme high temperature we are reaching now in Madrid,
those are cooling the blood a little bit.

Although, there is still some erotism...
Logged

EricDosSantosPhotography

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 67
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2196 on: July 11, 2010, 02:18:36 am »

No medium format for me yet.  But I'm selling my D3X and should have one within the next couple weeks  
Here are some shots I did a few weeks ago.  First time doing implied nude with a model.  I bet these would look a lot better with a medium format


1.

2.

3.

HarperPhotos

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1309
    • http://www.harperphoto.com
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2197 on: July 11, 2010, 02:51:58 am »

Hello,

Take it from me don’t sell your Nikon D3x. I have a Leaf Aptus 75 and Nikon D3x and there is no clear winner. They both have there own strengths.

Cheers

Simon
Logged
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2198 on: July 11, 2010, 03:07:43 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Again some with just the bright sun as a change to the studio work.
Nice shots. Shame about the prop.

Jeremy
Logged

HarperPhotos

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1309
    • http://www.harperphoto.com
Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2199 on: July 11, 2010, 03:15:13 am »

Quote from: kikashi
Nice shots. Shame about the prop.

Jeremy

Hello,

Don’t you like Chevy's?

Cheers

Simon
Logged
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 214   Go Up