Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G10 Raw + B&W jpeg  (Read 3923 times)

jrgoldman9

G10 Raw + B&W jpeg
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:13:55 am »

I posted this on a Canon forum with no responses.  Perhaps someone here can help me.

Just got the g10. How can I set it for dual capture (raw + B&W jpeg)?  I had no problem doing this with the g9. I am choosing B&W in 'my colors' and also choosing raw +jpeg, but I always get a color jpeg. I can only see B&W on the LCD when raw is turned off. Thanks for any help.

Jay

mirrorimage

G10 Raw + B&W jpeg
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:17:28 am »

Quote from: jrgoldman9
I posted this on a Canon forum with no responses.  Perhaps someone here can help me.

Just got the g10. How can I set it for dual capture (raw + B&W jpeg)?  I had no problem doing this with the g9. I am choosing B&W in 'my colors' and also choosing raw +jpeg, but I always get a color jpeg. I can only see B&W on the LCD when raw is turned off. Thanks for any help.

Jay

I just bought a G10 too, and ran into the same problem.  If you look on page 146 of your manual, you will see this charming little message: When the recording pixels is set to RAW. the MY COLORS cannot be set.  
B&W (and Sepia) are both in the My Colors set. This means that you either rely on post-processing to do the conversions, or you set up, say, C1, in custom mode and shoot B&W in JPEG mode. To my knowledge, neither LR nor Capture One support the G10 yet, although this is just a matter of time. Personally, I'm no fan of DPP, but it will have to do for now.

When I saw the 40D-like menu settings on the G10, I assumed that Canon would use the Picture Styles approach in the G10. That means you can easily set up monochrome with various filters (red, green, yellow etc). If you're shooting B&W, you want to see how colours are rendering in monochrome right in the camera, not have to imagine how they're going to look.

Well, I was wrong, and I don't understand Canon's decision to do this. If they're marketing to serious photographers, not having B&W supported nativley in RAW doesn't make any sense to me.

jrgoldman9

G10 Raw + B&W jpeg
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:04:41 am »

What is really puzzling is that I could do the dual capture in the G9.  Why would they take it away?   I do this all the time with my Leica M8 and it is very important to me.

I will call Canon customer service Monday morning and see if we are missing something.  If not then I have to decide about returning the G10.

jrgoldman9

G10 Raw + B&W jpeg
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:27:38 am »

I just called Canon and we are right.  You cannot even see the screen in B&W when in raw.  This is different than the Canon S50, S60, G2, G6, G9 and Rebel XT, all of which I have used.  A dumb, dumb decision.  
     Being able to see in B&W has been one of the joys of digital photography for me.  I'll probably return the camera.

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
G10 Raw + B&W jpeg
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:28:43 am »

This must be a firmware thing though. If we beg and complain enough (online petition!) they might provide an upgrade.

Sign me up, just send me to the link.

Btw, current G9 user, was thinking of going G10 seeing as my wife has made the 9 "hers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up