Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grandfather Mtn & Linville Viaduct  (Read 4126 times)

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
Grandfather Mtn & Linville Viaduct
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:19 pm »

I'm taking a spur-of-the-moment trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway next week to get some fall color. If you have any suggestions for good locations to photograph in the Grandfather Mountain area, particlarly of the Linville Viaduct, I'd sincerely appreciate them. I haven't been further north on the BRP than Mount Mitchell in over 30 years. I'll be down in the Great Smokies National Park at the end of the week, but have the LLVJ disc and Steve Kossack's recent DVD on that area to guide me there. I stayed at the Pisgah Inn back in 2000 and 2001... nice place with great food that I hear has been recently renovated.

Thanks in advance!

picnic

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:26:08 pm »

Quote from: jimhuber
I'm taking a spur-of-the-moment trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway next week to get some fall color. If you have any suggestions for good locations to photograph in the Grandfather Mountain area, particlarly of the Linville Viaduct, I'd sincerely appreciate them. I haven't been further north on the BRP than Mount Mitchell in over 30 years. I'll be down in the Great Smokies National Park at the end of the week, but have the LLVJ disc and Steve Kossack's recent DVD on that area to guide me there. I stayed at the Pisgah Inn back in 2000 and 2001... nice place with great food that I hear has been recently renovated.

Thanks in advance!

I had checked the Fall color on the BRP this morning--its about peak around Grandfather.  I thought about going --but, for one thing, our gas shortage/nonavailabiity still persists in western NC, so IF I can get gas today, I'll go earlier tomorrow.  One good place for photographing the viaduct is from below it on NC SR 221.   There are also trails just to the east of it that will either take you above or below the viaduct.

Diane

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:57:31 pm »

Hi Jim,

There are some up-to-date observations for the Parkway at the following web site: Fall Color Update

Later,
Johnny

picnic

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:48:27 pm »

Quote from: picnic
I had checked the Fall color on the BRP this morning--its about peak around Grandfather.  I thought about going --but, for one thing, our gas shortage/nonavailabiity still persists in western NC, so IF I can get gas today, I'll go earlier tomorrow.  One good place for photographing the viaduct is from below it on NC SR 221.   There are also trails just to the east of it that will either take you above or below the viaduct.

Found gas (its more available, but still at least 1 of 3 don't have gas) so I'm leaving very early tomorrow morning.  I'll report on Grandfather Mt. area--I'm going up 321 to Blowing Rock and out the Parkway west over the viaduct so I will be able to tell.  We were on Grandfather on the 30th and there was very little color that day.

Diane
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:49:25 pm by picnic »

picnic

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38:55 am »

Quote from: jimhuber

Thanks in advance!

Just a note to check the weather in the area.   http://www.grandfather.com/planning_your_v..._conditions.php

I only live 45 min. from the viaduct (foothills)--weather was supposed to be only 'partly cloudy'--I prefer some clouds to cloudless skies so I was happy.  Left very early-got to the Parkway and was totally socked in--5 feet visibility at best.  I've driven the Parkway many times in dense fog--never a very pleasant sensation, but I know the road.  I crossed the viaduct and only knew that I did because I could make out one sign right beside the road as I passed--only saw the railings to the right of me LOL.  So--I can't report color--I never saw any LOL.  

It got worse as I went west (south) from Blowing Rock, so I decided to head north (and somewhat lower altitude).  There is a detour at Blowing Rock that takes you 4 or 5 miles further north before you get on again--at that point--dense fog was gone with lingering haze.  Though the color reports say that they are at peak color in the areas I went through--there is color right beside the road---but the slopes have very little to almost no color at all.  I'll try again for a clearer day after the rains roll through here today through Friday.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up