Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered shooting trap for young players  (Read 3444 times)

jeremydillon

Tethered shooting trap for young players
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:39:51 pm »

Just a quick gotcha that got me yesterday ...

I had my camera set to shoot Raw to the CF card and small Jpegs to SD card.  (I don't usually do this but I was at a family do on the weekend and thought it might be nice to have some family photos on my phone which also has an SD slot)

Anyway we get to yesterday and I'm shooting tethered in the studio.  Really big, cumbersome, difficult, solid sculptures.  Then some awkward, tricky Tunisian hammered metal light fixtures, illuminated inside and out, some table top, some suspended, some floor standing.

No CF card in the camera ... doesn't matter - shooting tethered right?  SD card is still in there since the weekend ... why would that matter?  Previews coming through nice and fast into lightroom ... faster than normal ... the gods must be smiling!

I come to process the files this morning and the only files on the computer are small "in camera" JPEGs!  I guess it was something to do with the SD card being the only card in the camera and it being set to record small jpegs.  Suffice to say I've removed the SD card.

Now I've got a couple of difficult phonecalls to make to clients , and a day of shooting to re-do!

cheers

Jeremy

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:14:33 am »

Ouch....

I normally run a CF on raw and an SD on large Jpegs for work, but when I tether use just the CF in camera, but I have caught myself out a couple of times with the wrong settings.

This is the sort of area where it's very easy to make a BIG mistake, pays to check everything a few times before and during shooting..

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:58:49 am »

This happens to everyone, which doesn't lessen the problem. Better luck next time.

A simple solution would be to use EOS Utility. This nice, simple program allows you to set all the camera functions, including what file format to download. Then there's no surprises.
~ CB

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:36:22 pm »

what software did you use to shoot tethered? did you shoot to mac or PC?

jeremydillon

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:18:39 pm »

Quote from: pss
what software did you use to shoot tethered? did you shoot to mac or PC?

I was shooting throught the eos utility into lightroom on a PC.

It was probably showing jpeg in the eos utility applet but i didn't feel the need to check. Once i start shooting this gets hidden by the lightroom window anyway.

Anyway ... it's something to look out for in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up