Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

HP Z3100 - how much paper is left on roll

(1/3) > >>

tived:
Hi guys,

I have tried to search this in the manual but I don't seem to be able to find what I am looking for.

I want to know if there is a way where I can tell how much paper is left on the roll, so I don't start to print and then find that I am missing an inch or two.

I work with other large format printers for sign writers where you the RIP will tell if you have enough paper or not.

Is this possible with the HP ?

thanks

Henrik

Jim Cole:
Henrik,

Unfortunately, no. I have to pull the rolls out and measure them when I'm doing a job that I think may run out of paper. A bar code would have been nice with the firmware keeping track of eack roll.

Jim

tived:
thanks Jim,

I had enough canvas, but the printer lost network connection 3inches before finishing, and I spend the next few hours trying to troubleshoot it, till I found that it was the cable that was faulty.

Yes, I think some kind of usage per roll would be handy. a tag for the roll, could be read by the printer or when you feed a fresh roll, you can enter the length of the roll, and give the roll an ID, incase you have many different papers.

ohh - maybe HP, Canon and Epson will listen in on this!!! :-)

thanks again for responding

Henrik

walter.sk:
I keep track of each roll in the printer utility.  In the Accounting part, there is a list of how much ink and paper (in square feet) was used with each printing.  Periodically I add up the square feet of the current roll and keep a running record in a notebook.  I use a 24" printer, so dividing by 2 gives me the linear feet used.  I also add in the paper used for calibration, as I don't think it is listed under print jobs.  However, the paper used in profiling seems to be listed.

What I don't do, and probably will start doing, is making a notation on the roll (I use a sheet of paper wrapped around the roll and taped in place to protect the roll) and on the box when I remove a roll that still has paper left.

What I don't know for sure is whether all companies include some extra paper at the end of the roll so that you don't have the sharply curled end going through the printer (I think Epson does).

ThePhotoDude:
I often thought the same thing. At least have the ability to manually enter a known value for the length when you load a roll.
Then when you unload it can tell you how much is left, which you can write down on the box and enter it next time you load it.

The funny thing is, that there is a field on the main page of the web output that shows 'Length: Unknown'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version