Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson RD1 or Sigma SD1 / SD2 ?  (Read 5523 times)

Bernd B.

Epson RD1 or Sigma SD1 / SD2 ?
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:29:52 pm »

Hi,

I´m using a 5D and a H3D39 for my job and a Canon S50 for the weekend.

I´m thinking of upgrading my private snapshot equipment but a Leica M8 is too expensive for that purpose.

I like the concept of the Sigma SD2 with its 40mm equivalent lens, but I wonder if the old Epson RD1 does probably make the better pictures.

Is anybody out there who tried RD1 and the already available SD1 and would like to comment?

I´m only interested in practical experience. Please no second hand theoretical discussion on spec sheets and Dpreview-tests.

Thanks all,

Bernd

docmaas

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:07:58 pm »

Bernd,

It is the DP1 and DP2.  The SDx are the SLR models.  I have tried all of them and currently own all but the SD9, the original and 1st model.

The DP1 is a beautiful camera that can produce images to match the best available from even a 5D when used between ISO 50 and 400.  AT 800 it is still usable but there are noise issues and color shifts.  

I have no qualms about comparing the lens to any of the Zeiss distagons including the 21mm.  It is however limited to f4.  

Pbase has a whole section devoted to the camera and there is a fairly long thread on it at getdpi.com under the other cameras forum.

At this point I use the DP1 almost exclusively.  Being small it is easy to handhold down to 1/2 second.  It's only shortcoming is the restrictions imposed by a single focal length of 28mm effective.  

I hope that at some point Sigma will consider making the dp an interchangeable lens camera with its own set of  leaf shutter lenses.  

The forthcoming DP2 will be faster, have a 42mm effective focal length lens and have a new TRUE II dsp chip.  There may be other improvements as well as the final features have not yet been announced other than the focal length and the dsp chip.  Many of us hope for a higher resolution lcd for manual focus.

Mike

Hi,

I´m using a 5D and a H3D39 for my job and a Canon S50 for the weekend.

I´m thinking of upgrading my private snapshot equipment but a Leica M8 is too expensive for that purpose.

I like the concept of the Sigma SD2 with its 40mm equivalent lens, but I wonder if the old Epson RD1 does probably make the better pictures.

Is anybody out there who tried RD1 and the already available SD1 and would like to comment?

I´m only interested in practical experience. Please no second hand theoretical discussion on spec sheets and Dpreview-tests.

Thanks all,

Bernd
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:51 pm »

I love my R-D1. The files are not what my M8 produces, but there's something really tactile about the Epson. It has a manual shuttercock, for goodness sake.

That camera makes me happy. In some way, it is the only digital camera I own that doesn't come with insanely high expectations, so I am always pleased with it.

Get one, and buy spare batteries. You will have it for many years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up