Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds Mk1, MK2, Mk3  (Read 6478 times)

GuyinSG

Canon 1Ds Mk1, MK2, Mk3
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:27:00 am »

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum but it's great to have a good forum where there's lots of (mostly) interesting discussion and good info available for the searching.  I'm an American living in Vietnam and feel pretty isolated from the rest of the "civilized & populated photo world".  We have very little pro support here so it gets a bit lonely at times!

It seems there are a lot of people who have used all the 1Ds range form the Mk1 to the Mk3.  A lot of people seemed to be not too happy with the Mk2.  I have a Mk1 which I mostly have as a back up to my MFDB.  I also use it when I'm on location as the weather here is pretty brutal for camera gear.  I am planning on selling my Mk1 to make way for the new 5D Mk2 as it is a much more compact camera and of course the larger file size.  I have been reading some comments that people really liked the Mk1, some seem to prefer it over the Mk2.

I'd appreciate your comments on how you found the three Mks comparative performance and your thoughts about switching to the 5D Mk2.

Cheers,

Khun_K

• http://
Canon 1Ds Mk1, MK2, Mk3
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:39:05 am »

Quote from: GuyinSG
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum but it's great to have a good forum where there's lots of (mostly) interesting discussion and good info available for the searching.  I'm an American living in Vietnam and feel pretty isolated from the rest of the "civilized & populated photo world".  We have very little pro support here so it gets a bit lonely at times!

It seems there are a lot of people who have used all the 1Ds range form the Mk1 to the Mk3.  A lot of people seemed to be not too happy with the Mk2.  I have a Mk1 which I mostly have as a back up to my MFDB.  I also use it when I'm on location as the weather here is pretty brutal for camera gear.  I am planning on selling my Mk1 to make way for the new 5D Mk2 as it is a much more compact camera and of course the larger file size.  I have been reading some comments that people really liked the Mk1, some seem to prefer it over the Mk2.

I'd appreciate your comments on how you found the three Mks comparative performance and your thoughts about switching to the 5D Mk2.

Cheers,
I started the DSLR from D1X to Contax N Digital, then move on to Canon 1D/1Ds/1D Mk2/Ids MK2 and now 1Ds MK3, the Canon 1D series camera to me is consistent performer, it produces the image quality justify its price, at least it is to me. There is some improvement from 1Ds MK2 to 1Ds MK3 and not regret to move up to 1Ds MK3, but if I did not upgrade, I will probably just settle with 5D2 which may have slight image quality edge over 1Ds MK3 on higher ISO range, I suppose.  But the 1Ds MK3 is heavily built, I would not worry much to go to sea shore, on the boat, into rain forest with it, especially for some of the shooting conditions, such as on a rocking boat on ocean with splashes happen often, I may not consider to use 5Ds in such case. If you don't need a camera to wrestle with such conditions often, my suggestion will be getting a 5D2 for everyday jobs, and rent 1Ds MK3 when you really need a camera to deal with bad situations.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Canon 1Ds Mk1, MK2, Mk3
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:17:15 am »

I own all three camera bodies. My thoughts:

1Ds: A groundbreaking camera when it was introduced due to the true 24x36 sensor. Wide angle freaks rejoiced. The Fish Eye was back in the game. The body construction was excellent, with excellent weather sealing. After initial excitement waned, users began to see noise patterns in dark areas, and high-ISO shots suffered from a grid-like pattern appearing on some bodies' images. The power supply wasn't perfect and if/when the camera locked up, the battery had to be removed to zero-out the camera's electronics. Even with these flaws, this camera rang the death knell for many photo labs around the world -- within two years of this camera's introduction, more then 50% of the "pro" labs in the U.S. were gone.

The Digic processor was at v1 and its design, implementation and improvements have become the cornerstone for Canon's imaging tools. The 1Ds and Digic 1 provided users with enough processing speed and data information (histogram, exposure info) that use of the camera in every professional condition was easy.

With the 1Ds, raw file processing came under close scrutiny and camps of photographers chose their software, some becoming vitriolic about others' software choices. Canon's software, Digital Photo Professional, was weak and this surprised everyone, causing mass migration of users to Adobe Camera Raw, Bibble Pro, Capture One and other programs. I chose to go with Capture One Pro and used custom ICC camera profiles generated by etcetera.com. Color & contrast accuracy was a breeze.

1Ds2: This camera brought a slightly improved body construction, a Digic 2 chip and a higher resolution, full-frame sensor. Everything that was good about the "Mark 1" was vastly improved on the Mark 2. The negatives mentioned above, noise in the shadows & power malfunctions, were virtually eliminated. Using ICC profiles from Etcetera provided me with outstanding color and contrast with minimal effort.

The Digic 2 chip brought faster file processing and a better signal-to-noise ratio. The results from this camera again pushed the envelope in image quality. If it hadn't been for the price (US$8000), I think most photographers world-wide would've migrated to Canon because of this camera.

1Ds3: This camera brings again an improved body design with better weather sealing, a redesigned power system, a Digic 3 processor, 14-bit color and higher resolution to the market. The ability to photograph 2-page spreads without interpolation is now available in the DSLR format. For many commercial photographers, this is the holy grail of resolution: less than 2% of my work requires larger reproduction.

The power system uses a Lithium-Ion battery and has even longer life and a much higher degree of battery evaluation to help determine the usable life of each battery.

To some, the small increase in resolution over the Mark 2 was not worth the upgrade. To me, the increase in resolution combined with 14-bit color was well worth the investment. This provides me with a significant leap in overall image quality and control. Although 16-bit inkjet printing is in its infancy, this camera's image quality provides digital display prints that were unattainable just a decade ago. It's not that colors are more vibrant, it's that gradients are much smoother, especially in very dark and very light tones. Pale caucasian flesh tones look wonderful.

The Live View function was something I thought I'd never use. I was wrong. I use it constantly. Most of my work is done with the camera on a tripod. It's slower, more methodical and allows my two brain cells to easily communicate with each other. With live view, exact focus is now possible, and this is a real treat when used with a wide aperture. In addition, the lenses can have a focus micro-adjustment made and registered by the user with each 1Ds3 body for exact focus. These two feature provide for outstanding still life work. In addition, focus micro-adjustment produces better results from hand-held, auto-focus photography.

5D: I have only toyed with the first generation of this camera. My concern, if I were where you are, is: will the body hold up under that environment? You're in one of the wettest regions of the world, and unlike northern Scotland, it's hot. If you think it'll work, then you'll save several thousand dollars, and that's not something to snivel at.
~ CB

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Canon 1Ds Mk1, MK2, Mk3
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:21:20 pm »

The  1Ds had good color rendition, good sharpness, good skin tone, good focus and very usable resolution. It was totally reliable. The downside was noise above 200 ISO, a characteristic  disappearance of color in the shadows, and a deadly buffer lag if you hit the buffer limit. Also the shutter had a tendency to fail after a few tens of thousands of images.

I consider that no camera Canon launched before Photokina combines these image qualities and construction qualities. I haven't tested the 5DII though.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up