Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw 4.6 "Release Candidate" on Adobe Labs  (Read 23003 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Camera Raw 4.6 "Release Candidate" on Adobe Labs
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 12:01:33 am »

I doubt you would get a useful answer...at one point Hassellblad digital backs _DID_ output DNG. Then after a firmware upgrade the cameras quit outputting DNG...why? Well, it was either because the DNG format didn't allow for the type of lens metadata Hassellblad deemed necessary or they were too incompetent to figure out how to put the metadata in the DNG file. Take your pick (I know which answer is true).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff,

Do you see any willingness at Adobe to really try to push DNG so that it becomes an ISO standard with fully published spec defined by a group of companies?

IMHO this is a mandatory step to gain more acceptance of DNG.

Cheers,
Bernard

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 01:20:51 am »

Do you see any willingness at Adobe to really try to push DNG so that it becomes an ISO standard with fully published spec defined by a group of companies?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess you missed this story...[a href=\"http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/05/dng_submitted_t.html]DNG Submitted to the ISO[/url].

No news regarding adoption yet (the ISO is pretty slow at doing EVERYTHING).

:~)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 04:15:15 am »

I guess you missed this story...DNG Submitted to the ISO.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Jeff, I had indeed missed that story.

Great news, let's hope for the best.

Cheers,
Bernard

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 11:52:56 am »

Actually, once the Hasselblad digital files are imported into the Hasselblad software, they are converted into "another" Hasselblad raw format, the .fff format. These raw files are read natively by both Aperture and Raw Developer. No need to convert them into DNGs. But hey, Raw Developer is a big international operation that has loads of resources, so it makes sense that they can do it but not Adobe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't know who this jerk hcubell is but he has put his selfish needs ahead of the group. Bug off buddy!

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 02:51:29 pm »

It might be just a coincidence, but Adobe support of a digital camera often comes just after dcraw support is provided. For example, I was amazed that Adobe decided to waste even a couple of hours to support Nikon P6000 NRW raws until I found out that dcraw had just released support for it. (Yes, I understand that there is nothing very special about NRW but still..).

Is Hasselblad supported by dcraw?
Nikos

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 05:18:44 pm »

NikosR, in this case it is just coincidence. We have a good two-way relationship with Dave. Sometimes he helps us out. Sometimes we help him out.
Eric Chan

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 03:54:46 am »

NikosR, in this case it is just coincidence. We have a good two-way relationship with Dave. Sometimes he helps us out. Sometimes we help him out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the response. These things are interesting to know from a gossip point of view although it doesn't really matter one way or the other as long as we get the goods delivered.
Nikos

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 09:29:30 am »

That's right. The good thing about us helping each other out is that it usually means the goods get delivered to you sooner.
Eric Chan

sniper

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 07:49:19 am »

I'm afraid I have to disargree with you Jeff, as customers of Adobe and as someone who has spent the best part of $2000 on it's software (UK prices ripoff) I think it's a reasonable enough request to ask why some cameras are supported and some not.  We are not asking for "top secret" data, just why a compact is supported but a "Pro" camera isn't?

None of us want to see anyone pressured, but your hostile answer was a bit of an over reaction, can't madmanchan speak up for himself?   Wayne

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:22 am »

Wayne, there's often a mix of reasons for some camera support getting delayed relative to others. Sometimes there are technical reasons (like new raw formats, which slow us down but are rarely showstoppers) but sometimes there are non-technical issues that are beyond our control. Political and legal issues, unfortunately, can be show-stoppers. I'd love to give you details and help you appreciate the situation more fully, but I cannot.

What I can give you is this: if a long time (i.e., several months) go by between the time a camera is announced and when we support it, a reasonable guess is that there's a political issue that's outside of our hands. And when that happens: my suggestion is that you (and a big group of like-minded photographers) knock on the door of the camera maker and tell them, "We want Camera Raw and Lightroom to support your new camera!"

(It turns out there's an almost perfect example of this delay from this past year. See if you can spot it. Hint: no, it's not the LX3.)
Eric Chan

sniper

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 12:06:54 pm »

Thanks for your reply Eric, I'm sure we all understand the political "issues" that must go on behind the scenes, all we can do is just hope it all gets worked out in the end.  Thanks  Wayne
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up