Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import frustration  (Read 1954 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Import frustration
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:48:57 am »

I imported a folder with 3 subfolders.  The 3 subfolders appears in LR, but the secondary Location I instructed LR to place the files as a backup shows a group of all the photos. and disregards the folder structure which appears in the primary location.

I just want to duplicate what is imported and store it as a backup without any hassle--why is this not happening??
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:29:10 pm by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Import frustration
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:32:42 pm »

UPDATE.  If I "export as catalogue"  , the original photos, folders, and catalogue appear as I intended.  What is the difference between Placing an import into 2 folders, on my primary and secondary drive and export as catalogue.  Why do I get different results?
mdiimaging.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Import frustration
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:50:22 am »

UPDATE.  If I "export as catalogue"  , the original photos, folders, and catalogue appear as I intended.  What is the difference between Placing an import into 2 folders, on my primary and secondary drive and export as catalogue.  Why do I get different results?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221663\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Import is different from Export and you shouldn't really be comparing them for this purpose. Import does things the way you've found, for a reason I don't understand. At best, it allows you to reconstruct the import process. Export creates a clone of that part of the catalogue, so your work can be moved to another computer and isn't really designed for backup.

I prefer to run a manual backup after completion of LR's regular import. Or take a look at ImageIngesterPro.

John

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Import frustration
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »

I see the pile of Photos in the backup on my second external  drive, where I have instructed LR to place them.  I want to keep a backup of my catalogue there also, to creat effectively a mirror of my primary storage location.  How do I do that and have it updated when I make changes to the metadata, keywords, develop settings etc??
mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up