Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor Alert: New Nikon MF sensor in a RF body?  (Read 22097 times)

JDBFreeheel

Rumor Alert: New Nikon MF sensor in a RF body?
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »

Decidedly a rumor, but this is certainly interesting, given the new big sensors/DBs/Camera systems that have already been announced by Hassy, Phase, and Sinar.  

Basics: Rumors that are starting to be substantiated are suggesting a Mamiya 6-like digital rangefinder with a 41-48mp sensor that could possibly use existing Nikon glass...

http://gizmodo.com/5045897/nikon-41+megapi...tal-rangefinder

At the very least, I'm interested...but that would be one mighty expensive rangefinder...I know lots of folks who thought $6K for the Leica digital rangefinder system (albeit, not MF) was too pricey.

-Josh

revaaron

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:33:53 pm »

that would be amazing since I have $25K tied up in nikon gear.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:51:08 pm »

Wow a possible 48mm x 48mm sensor!  Could I have that for my Rollei 6008 AF please!
Rolleiflex USA

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:14:24 pm »

Basics: Rumors that are starting to be substantiated are suggesting a Mamiya 6-like digital rangefinder with a 41-48mp sensor that could possibly use existing Nikon glass...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As the article says, you'll need all new glass to take advantage of the sensor size. Using 35mm lenses will mean a lot of cropping. An expensive waste. You'd be better off with a D3.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:47:40 pm »

As the article says, you'll need all new glass to take advantage of the sensor size. Using 35mm lenses will mean a lot of cropping. An expensive waste. You'd be better off with a D3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This  is all silly commentary (including my own) because this is just a rumor, but do you really think a company the size of Nikon would come out with a new camera systems and not have the lenses in place?

And even if it required new lenses, you know they'd be 1/2 the price of standard medium format.

JR

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:54:24 pm »

This  is all silly commentary (including my own) because this is just a rumor, but do you really think a company the size of Nikon would come out with a new camera systems and not have the lenses in place?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's not what I said. I'm just trying to calm down those who seem excited because they have a lot of 35mm Nikon lenses already.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »

That's not what I said. I'm just trying to calm down those who seem excited because they have a lot of 35mm Nikon lenses already.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gotta luv ya FotZ cause your all about keeping this part of the forum pure to medium format.

Weird thing all medium format digital is 645 which as a film format was probably some marketing guys idea to save on film costs.

Let's be realistic, 645, 35mm whatever, it's just a cut out hole on the back of a camera, but given this, I'd love to see Nikon or Canon come out with a "medium format" camera, whatever medium format is anymore.

That'd shake it all up.

JR

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 05:47:30 pm »

so now there is a nikon rumor as well as the leica rumor in the same direction....

the whole idea af 35mm, MF and such was based on the film formats, which had to be a certain size so i could buy my consumables anywhere in the world...it is really time that the big companies leave this behind....of course everybody wants to hang on to their glass but at one point nikon and canon have to take the plunge.....how many pixels can you cram onto 35mm format and as we see with 22mpix, we need new lenses anyway because the "older, lesser" designs sometimes can't keep up....

i still think it will be a while before we see a totally new system...which means maybe by next year:)

the idea of a 48x48mm RANGEFINDER is amazing but completely crazy....at least for nikon....leica might be able to get away with something like that but for this would be for nikon what the phaeton was for VW.....great but nobody will pay the price....

anyway i am always for bigger sensors even if they are only rumored.....i think i remember a canon rumor 2?3? years ago.....the dsII was supposed to be a larger then 35mm sensor with all new glass....

Streetshooter

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:51 pm »

the idea of a 48x48mm RANGEFINDER is amazing but completely crazy....at least for nikon....leica might be able to get away with something like that but for this would be for nikon what the phaeton was for VW.....great but nobody will pay the price....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Might not be so completely crazy. I reckon there is a market for such a camera and they'd sell quite a few. Heck there are loads of people paying 30k for top end MF digital cameras now and taking snaps with them when all they really need is a Canon 450. I don't think this rumour is as crazy as it seems.

Interesting times. I bet one or two MFDB makers are getting a bit twitchy.

alexjones

• http://www.alexrjones.com
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:23:28 pm »

It sounds like a great idea.  James is right, it would shake them up.  I think they need a good shaking considering some of the stupid stuff they do.  The only constant is change as they say.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 06:24:46 pm »

Might not be so completely crazy. I reckon there is a market for such a camera and they'd sell quite a few. Heck there are loads of people paying 30k for top end MF digital cameras now and taking snaps with them when all they really need is a Canon 450. I don't think this rumour is as crazy as it seems.

Interesting times. I bet one or two MFDB makers are getting a bit twitchy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219706\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

don't get me wrong...i would get one in a heartbeat....i think you are referring to the "dentists" and i have my doubts that they would spend 30000 on a nikon (phaeton-VW)....they want the hasselblad or leica around their neck when they go on their walks....which i think is great btw....and which is why i think the Hy6/Afi sucks....it should say rolleiflex on there.....

it all goes along with what james keeps saying that the tool/camera has to make you feel good about using it.....absolutely nothing wrong with that at all....but for me the last nikon/canon that did that was the F3.....and i really think the dsIII is great but it does not give me (or the people on the other end) the same .....excitement (for lack of a better word) then the m8 or the gx680 or 690....

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 06:39:26 pm »

Just ranting, but if this is true it probably is a direct consequence of the strenght of the Euro compared to the Yen/$.

- Most of the competitors are European OEMs whose price have gone up 1.5 times in 4 years (although they source their sensor, the most expensive component of the back, from the $ area at pretty much constant prices...),
- It is 1.5 tougher for Japanese and US customers to buy these European monsters than it was 4 years ago,
- EU, probably the largest market for such backs is 1.5 more profitable for a Japanese company than it was 4 years ago... that leaves a lot of room for experimentation.

I hope that this very concrete example will help make some folks in Europe/US understand as a whole that the current situation is mostly benefiting Japanese companies... EU needs to invest very heavily in North America to re-establish the right balance. Somebody, buy Apple cash tomorrow please.

Cheers,
Bernard

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

Oh, I really hope I'm not just dreaming this. I wonder if they'll release a version of it in a V-mount back?  Imagine, a 48mm x 48mm square sensor for your V-mount body, with good usable ISO 6400? OK, ok, no more mad speculation!

revaaron

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 03:38:13 am »

I don't think this will happen. it's not in alignment with nikon's marketing strategies. Look at their history and they have never ran in a MP race. They are the same company that not 3 years ago was selling a 4mp flagship while everyone else ran with 10+mp

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 04:30:04 am »

Guys don't be so conservative, it's always easy to enlarge the image circle and increase the focal length at the same time----you just add a concave lens as an adaptor between body and lens. Simple physics.

As an example, look at hassel's TS adaptor.

regards,
Dustblue

PS I'll be really excited if Nikon do so as many other guys who have lots of nikon lenses...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Streetshooter

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 07:36:37 am »

don't get me wrong...i would get one in a heartbeat....i think you are referring to the "dentists" and i have my doubts that they would spend 30000 on a nikon (phaeton-VW)....they want the hasselblad or leica around their neck when they go on their walks....which i think is great btw....and which is why i think the Hy6/Afi sucks....it should say rolleiflex on there.....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well just imagine a Mamiya 6 rangefinder body with the Nikon D3 screen on the back. A double sized D3 sensor and a bunch of lightweight lenses. Priced well under the current MFDB's that are being offered by everyone. Ideal for landscape, wedding, editorial, and reportage work.

Would you buy one ?  If they kept the price at the right level they'd sell loads.

Form a queue here.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:31 am »

Well just imagine a Mamiya 6 rangefinder body with the Nikon D3 screen on the back. A double sized D3 sensor and a bunch of lightweight lenses. Priced well under the current MFDB's that are being offered by everyone. Ideal for landscape, wedding, editorial, and reportage work.

Would you buy one ?  If they kept the price at the right level they'd sell loads.

Form a queue here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
and what do you mean by riught price point ? 20k ?
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 08:40:49 am »

and what do you mean by riught price point ? 20k ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not so long ago photographers would always expect to pay more for a medium format camera kit over a 35mm one.
Cameras such as the Mamiya 6 and 7 series were used in their droves because of what they offered over a 35mm camera for particular uses such as travel, reportage, etc, etc...I would not expect it to be any different today and would certainly expect to pay more for a top medium format rangefinder  system than a top 35mm slr camera system...wether digital or film.

These cameras were popular for all the right reasons and a similar camera, but using digital instead of film, would be as usefull a tool today as it was before.

Certainly it was easier financially to have many different cameras systems in the time of film and these days due to cost people seem to strive more for a one camera does all solution but different applications still need different tools.

What would basically be a digital Mamiya 6  that allows the user to shoot stock and travel and reportage and large print fine art in those same locations all in the same body is a dream come true tool of the digital age for many.
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

Streetshooter

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 09:25:31 am »

Not so long ago photographers would always expect to pay more for a medium format camera kit over a 35mm one.
Cameras such as the Mamiya 6 and 7 series were used in their droves because of what they offered over a 35mm camera for particular uses such as travel, reportage, etc, etc...I would not expect it to be any different today and would certainly expect to pay more for a top medium format rangefinder  system than a top 35mm slr camera system...wether digital or film.

These cameras were popular for all the right reasons and a similar camera, but using digital instead of film, would be as usefull a tool today as it was before.

Certainly it was easier financially to have many different cameras systems in the time of film and these days due to cost people seem to strive more for a one camera does all solution but different applications still need different tools.

What would basically be a digital Mamiya 6  that allows the user to shoot stock and travel and reportage and large print fine art in those same locations all in the same body is a dream come true tool of the digital age for many.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If they just doubled the D3 sensor it would be 645 size wouldn't it?

It wouldn't need to be that big either, the Fuji 645 cameras are really compact and nice to shoot. More importantly if the price was below 10k dollars the camera would sell well. If Nikon doesn't do it somebody else will, and soon I hope.

The MF digital world needs a shake up. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 10:29:36 am »

someone not registered here just sent me the following info on older nikon lenses to pass on to the forum:

"Nikon lenses that were used on the early Bronica EC models of medium format.

Almost all Nikkor lenses for Zenza Bronica is listed.
NIKKOR-D 40mm F4
NIKKOR-H 50mm F3.5
NIKKOR-O 50mm F2.8
NIKKOR-P 75mm F2.8
NIKKOR-Q 105mm F3.5LS
NIKKOR-Q 135mm F3.5
NIKKOR-P 200mm F4 (early)
NIKKOR-P 200mm F4 (later)
NIKKOR-P 600mm F5.6"

so the history is there...but of course this is just rumour but no harm in a bit of idle speculation!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:42:03 am by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up