Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Widescreen or 4:3  (Read 3352 times)

Paul Jameson

Widescreen or 4:3
« on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »

It seems these days most people, or at least in this industry, have a widescren format monitor.

I'm interested to know which is being used most in our industry. Which do you have or use the most?

Thanks,

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:10:07 pm »

All the good monitors used to be 4:3 crts.  Now the good ones are wide screen LCDs.

I'd guess your answer depends on when the person last upgraded.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:28 pm »

All the good monitors used to be 4:3 crts.  Now the good ones are wide screen LCDs.

I'd guess your answer depends on when the person last upgraded.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well said.  

I have both and prefer the added real estate of the wide screen.  That said, for me it was more important to get to two monitors than have one that's a widescreen.  Resolution is a key factor as well.
Regards,
Ron

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:23 am »

It's also good to use a laptop, or have a monitor that can be rotated 90 degrees, so vertical format images can be viewed more advantageously.

Paul Jameson

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:13:01 am »

I certainly prefer and use widescreen but let me elaborate.

When using the internet viewing websites, what monitor are you using? wide or 4:3?

I would be interested in knowing stats for this these days but can't find anything like that around. Apparently the minimum res on average is 1024x768 rather than 800x600 in the days of old, but there aren't that many 4:3 monitors around these days.

Keep them coming....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:13:21 am by Paul Jameson »

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 01:46:55 pm »

When using the internet viewing websites, what monitor are you using? wide or 4:3?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This probably won't provide the data point you're looking for but it depends on which computer I'm using.  One computer and a laptop with 4:3 and two other computers with widescreen.
Regards,
Ron

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:59:10 pm »

Viewing?  I use what's available.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 05:50:43 pm »

Both.    

As of today, my main monitor is a 24" wide-screen and my second monitor is a 4:3 21". Both are flat screens, and the new wide-screen is replacing my old Sony CRT which served well for some years as my second monitor.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:34:30 am »

I must be bored...  ha!  I just have to stir this up.

Your question was "which is being used most in our industry"?  I'd go out on a limb and say the Apple Cinema displays.  (And frankly, I don't have it in me to do the math to figure out if they're considered widescreen or not...  bah!)  

I'm basing this on my personal observation that out of all the photographers (amateur and pro)  I've worked with, about half are Apple, half Windows.  (so, by remarkably unsubstantiable estimates, maybe half are using Cinema displays, that gives you 1/4 or the market, and more market share than anything else, still.) Now, out of all the pro photography studios I've worked with, and that is a respectable number, for the record, all are using Apple, with the notable exception of some event and wedding shooters, and a goodly percentage of those are using Cinema displays.  Please note, the "I've worked with..."

(I can just hear the responses to this...  but keep in mind, since 1998 I've been working with commercial photographers as a retailer of high-end digital systems, a color and workflow consultant and an IT/systems consultant.  This is based on seeing the inside of almost every major studio in New England, and quite a few outside of the Northeast.  I have no drum to beat here, I work with both Apple and Win, and my joke is I hate them both.   )

Although some do invest in the more color-accurate displays like Lacie, Eizo, etc, a remarkable number of studios use the basic Cinema display.  My experience, after calibrating literally hundreds now, is that although they do not have the color controls the "big boys" have, they are very accurate, and very consistent, especially considering the price.  The 23" is the weakest link in that statement, just to keep me honest...    

What I see is that commercial shooters are much more likely to go for the 30" Cinema display than a 21" color accurate display for the same money.  The reasons are always: It's more impressive to the client, and easier to show them the images during the shoot.  It's more efficient, they can work faster with the added real estate.  And finally, the color is consistent enough to give the prepress guys what they need (who, by the way, are usually investing in the more expensive, color accurate dispalys.)

I honestly don't see how aspect ratio plays into the decision at all...  I truly see it as just a marketing ploy by the LCD guys, trying to sell consumers displays to watch movies on.  

Again, before you jump on my butt, this is my observation based on experience in commercial, professional photography, not my opinion...  (which is, if you're interested, that you need at least one color accurate display in a studio if you're doing post work on site, and the aspect ratio doesn't matter), and I'm just trying to address the question you asked.  

( -ducks and runs- )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:02:00 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard
Pages: [1]   Go Up