Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much do you charge for image processing?  (Read 9999 times)

ChrisJR

• http://
How much do you charge for image processing?
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:47:49 am »

Since finishing my photography degree this summer I'm now getting quite a lot of photography work and was wondering what people charge for image processing. A typical shoot is around 2000-3000 frames and I'm struggling to find time to keep up with everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Chris.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:52:39 pm »

Since finishing my photography degree this summer I'm now getting quite a lot of photography work and was wondering what people charge for image processing. A typical shoot is around 2000-3000 frames and I'm struggling to find time to keep up with everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Chris.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now that you're out of school and actually trying to work as a photographer., you will quickly learn, and probably despise, the fact that photography is the easy part. 90% of your time will be the business end of it.

Pricing (marketing) is a never ending struggle, and perhaps the most important one--given that you talent and technical skill is on par with other professionals. But I've seen a lot of good business men and women with marginal photography skills make more money in photography than those who are 100% better photographers.

When I price things I try to keep it all as simple as possible. Charge a nominal fee for 2 hours, which is dependent on your location. Give something for that fee, such as two images plus all the processing for two different poses. Then charge a fee for processing each additional pose plus a fee for each additional print. Make sure you tell people that your fees change for every job since every job is different. That way you have wiggle room. This doesn't apply if you are doing what I call "mall shots" where your clients step into a preset stage and you pop the shutter with preset lighting and you're done. You can simply charge a set fee for that.

For other unstaged photography, for instance, if you have a person who wants one good image and it takes you 20 minutes to take the picture and process it, you would charge much less than your standard guideline fee. Make it seem like you have a great price, and try to make up your money in processing and printing. I say this because you are going to spend LONG hours processing anyway, so you might as well get paid for it. If you take 3000 images and offer two up, fully processed, for a set fee and that's all they want, then you just saved yourself hours processing images. You're done. You spent 3 hours and made 200 bucks, or whatever.

So they want more and they want to see more. Great. Crop and process a couple more images and let them take a look. They want them too, then you charge your agreed on processing fee per image. This way you don't spend hours processing and cropping, etc only to get the "no thanks" line--after you spent all of your time.

Remember, you're the photographer. If they want to see all 3000 images, simple tell them that isn't going to happen because in order to get them ready, you'd have to spend hours, and you aren't willing to show them images that haven't been properly processed.

The other way to go about this is charge a large fee up front, such as wedding photography, outlining what your client gets for say 3-5000 dollars. Or have a sliding wedding scale, from 500 to 10, 000 so you get a large piece of the wedding pie. Then stick to your guns and give them what you said you would, and no more unless they pay for your time. Make sure you understand that when you offer a set price, you're the one who has to parse through 3, 000 images. It's probably better to learn NOT to get into the habit of having digital diarrhea. Shoot some solid shots and go for quality, not quantity. You go for quantity the time is on you!

In a two hour shoot I usually shoot around 2-300 images and that's far more than I need, and it takes a LONG time to just get them ready to post on the web so your clients can see them. Remember too that people don't want so many choices that they get fatigued thinking about which one is "the best." Make your best judgment and give them a good offering, but don't shotgun it. You're the photographer so you're suppose to be able to choose the "best" images. You also want to avoid people choosing shots that are perhaps a little better environmentally or compositional, but where you, for examaple, got a soft shot on the eyes. If you turn those out, YOU look bad. I've gotten shots that I REALLY love and the client never sees them because, for instance, one eye was a little too soft.

These are simply two ways of many to price yourself. It's no fun for anyone, especially those more into photography than the business side of it.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, "How much do you charge for image processing" is an impossible question to answer. Image processing is dynamic in that some images take more processing than others depending on what you are after. All images will need basic processing, such as white balance and color correction, sharpening, etc.  Others will need smoothing, eye popping, hair removal, etc. You could have a full time job as a retoucher, but you won't have time to do that most likely, unless you do less photography and more Photoshop.

You will get faster at it as you go, that is, as your work flow becomes more efficient. I can process a portrait, including blemish removal, face smoothing, and eye sharpening, plus the other basic white balance and RAW settings from start to finish in about 10 minutes when I'm on. That's on an image where the person has decent skin and the image was done correctly in the camera. But that's where you make your money. Sometimes you'll spend much longer than that, and sometimes the entire shoot will go in 10 minutes per image. You decide how much you want for "basic" processing. Put a before and after shot on your website for comparison if people want to know what "basic" looks like. Or just tell people what it is in a way that sends the message that you decide what it is. After all, they should have seen your work, so they know what you can do. You don't have to explain your business to them. They only need be concerned with the finished product.

Be prepared to be firm with some people also. As you probably know, some people will try to get everything they can free or nearly so. They'll call you everyday about this or that not being "just right" or "We don't really like our first choice anymore [after you did the work] and were wondering if it would be alright if we used a different pose?" Sure, I'll do as many as you want for X cost per image processing. People will run you into the ground if you let them. Don't. Amateurs do that and they go broke too.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 11:13:49 pm by dwdallam »

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:37:20 am »

There is no right answer. You can charge by the hour for processing, image optimization, etc or you can charge an up front digital capture fee (to pay for all the expensive gear) and then charge a per image fee for what is delivered. Your choice. It's all about creating your own business model, way of charging and such. Realize on an open forum and even closed doors, photographers in the US are legally not allowed to discuss actual pricing figures (price fixing laws) but can discuss what they may have done for past completed work, two very different scenarios.

PDN does regular articles on what post production houses charge for retouching and image work for national advertising. Those numbers would certainly be the high end. What's your time worth to sit in front of the computer, and factor in the never ending cost of equipment, computers, software, hard drives, etc. PDN and some other resources run info on moch estimates form real photographers with prices that can be instructional.

Are you shooting 2K-3K images in a single day or multi day shoots? That's a lot for single day.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the advice John and Doug.

I'll have to have a look at PDN. I shoot different amounts of frames for different things of course. Recently I've been doing a lot of virtual tours for local estate agents (very boring!) which depending on how many properies I shoot in a day can run into thousands of frames. I do have a flat commercial rate (hourly, half day, full day) as well as rates for fashion/portrait/weddigs/product etc  and then don't charge for the first hour of image processing and after that do charge.

A few clients have already tried to take advantage of my time but I do stand my ground with the vast majority of them (I came to photography quite late but spent many years working in telecoms so have a lot of business experience). So far I've been charging hourly/half day and full day rates and then don't charge for the first hour of image processing then try to charge for any hours after at a slightly lower rate than my hourly rate.

Quite a few things to consider but the information provided will definitely help me in the future.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:00:45 am by radders2007 »

dwdallam

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:41:34 pm »

Thanks for the advice John and Doug.

I shoot different amounts of frames for different things of course. Recently I've been doing a lot of virtual tours for local estate agents (very boring!) which depending on how many properies I shoot in a day can run into thousands of frames.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually talked with a friend today who said he takes 2-3000 images each wedding between two photographers. He also said he can parse them in about 30 minutes cut 80% of them and then he's ready to process. So there you go. Also he said he took 15 images of a family portrait in his studio yesterday. The point being, weddings give you little if no control over people and light, so shooting lots of images is a necessity, whereas shooting a family portrait in a studio mean much less images.

Take care.

MarkL

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 01:45:27 pm »

Thanks for you post dwdallam.

Be prepared to be firm with some people also. As you probably know, some people will try to get everything they can free or nearly so. They'll call you everyday about this or that not being "just right" or "We don't really like our first choice anymore [after you did the work] and were wondering if it would be alright if we used a different pose?" Sure, I'll do as many as you want for X cost per image processing. People will run you into the ground if you let them. Don't. Amateurs do that and they go broke too.

This caught my eye.

I work in project management and clients for anything pretty much do just the same thing. Scope creep is the death of projects (and your margin) anything extra above what was agreed you charge for - change is an opportunity make more money.

dwdallam

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 02:10:44 am »

Thanks for you post dwdallam.
This caught my eye.

I work in project management and clients for anything pretty much do just the same thing. Scope creep is the death of projects (and your margin) anything extra above what was agreed you charge for - change is an opportunity make more money.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218724\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is very true. When I was doing websites that creep was death, and a lesson I had to learn more than once.

Back to photography, if you have a family with a working class income and they want a different image then I'd do it for them in a second. I mean here are people working hard and just getting by who want a good picture or two of their family. For clients and commercial work where they can pay, don't take anything from them. They won't respect you for it.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Chris.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shoot less frames : )

provide contact sheet for the jpgs

do 2 hours free per day creating decenct files from raw

charge the client by the hour beyond that

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

dwdallam

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:32:13 am »

By the hour or by the piece? I like by the piece better. For one thing, the client know exactly how much it will cost. For another, so do you, so you don't have to guesstimate your time. Of course you can be flexible too and offer more or less for each piece (each image) depending on the situation.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:40:02 am »

By the hour or by the piece? I like by the piece better. For one thing, the client know exactly how much it will cost. For another, so do you, so you don't have to guesstimate your time. Of course you can be flexible too and offer more or less for each piece (each image) depending on the situation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well life is made up a a finite amount of hours - not pieces

Also I can whip through 50 products on a white background in ahn hour and may spend half an hour doing one perspective corrected HDR room shot or building exterior

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

dwdallam

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:50:46 am »

Well life is made up a a finite amount of hours - not pieces

Also I can whip through 50 products on a white background in ahn hour and may spend half an hour doing one perspective corrected HDR room shot or building exterior

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah I see your point for sure. I was thinking in terms of people only, but your point is valid. Since you don't know how long it will take for every images, the per hour would be best. It just never ends.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Not wishing to start WW3, but wasn´t it nice working with transparencies. Edit then invoice - and that was that!

Rob C

ruraltrekker

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:09:52 am »

WOW! Not one mention of CODB

Folks this is the problem with these questions. There is an easy answer to what you should charge, especially ofr processing, editing, etc. It starts with a very accurate spreed sheet of all your costs, including a reasonible salary (with an addition of retirement funding). Once you have this information it becomes extremely easy to find the answers.

Yet most don't do this important first step and many who try do it wrong.

Oh well...

Ken

dwdallam

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 01:57:09 am »

WOW! Not one mention of CODB

Folks this is the problem with these questions. There is an easy answer to what you should charge, especially ofr processing, editing, etc. It starts with a very accurate spreed sheet of all your costs, including a reasonible salary (with an addition of retirement funding). Once you have this information it becomes extremely easy to find the answers.

Yet most don't do this important first step and many who try do it wrong.

Oh well...

Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True enough, but many times the market dictates that you break with hard line pricing. It would be nice to always make enough to pay all your bills every time plus retirement and a house payment, but that's not realistic for many today. it's bump and grind and you get what you get. Competition always lowers the price--and our paychecks. Like you say, it's all about numbers, and we're part of that number system. Market economics could care less about who you are or what your needs are, such as feeding your family.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 05:19:42 am »

True enough, but many times the market dictates that you break with hard line pricing. It would be nice to always make enough to pay all your bills every time plus retirement and a house payment, but that's not realistic for many today. it's bump and grind and you get what you get. Competition always lowers the price--and our paychecks. Like you say, it's all about numbers, and we're part of that number system. Market economics could care less about who you are or what your needs are, such as feeding your family.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219776\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Competition. Yes, always a problem. One of the funniest things that I hear in all-male company is the "I love competition!" sentence when anybody with a shred of business sense knows there is no better state than monopoly!

I had imagined, in my innocence, that the near monopoly of giants in the stock picture trade would have been able to make it work for the benefit of both themselves and their contributing photographers. Instead, even there, the result has been the mutual slitting of throats and the descent into penny-returns.

Competition. Yes, always a problem, as I wrote when I came in. Airlines too, big as they are, have no defence against going under either. Housing providers, not to mention banks, ditto.

You know what, I have come to the conclusion that what we need is MORE control over employment or, rather, the freedom to sell product.

It is my belief, having seen so many people go under, that one should not be legally able to sell ANY service without having a certificate of both ability to provide the service to a professional level and a tax certificate proving you are in it for the duration. More damage has been done in our trade by the shamateur than by anything else of which I can think. The problem number one is the ego-tripper willing to do it for the glory alone. A great trip, yep, but think of the real damage that freebie attitude does to those working in the trade for their livng. You don´t give a fig? Fine, then you shouldn´t be surprised if the other side certainly wishes you little good. Legislation is required to protect those who are really earning their living in photography, the arts and many other similarly vulnerable industries.

So throw the bloody acid: I have my Superman outfit ready.

Rob C

dwdallam

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 05:32:28 am »

Competition. Yes, always a problem. One of the funniest things that I hear in all-male company is the "I love competition!" sentence when anybody with a shred of business sense knows there is no better state than monopoly!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The only people who like competition are those who have an advantage over others that they can exploit--that being inherited wealth, IQ, looks, will, sociopathology, or all of the above. Even Bill Gates hates competition. That's why he buys start up companies that compete with MS, and then dismantles them. How nice it is to be a lion in a heard of sheep--until a bigger, faster, and meaner lion shows up.

ruraltrekker

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 09:43:53 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219776\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh so now I get it:

It is a competition to see who goes out of business first? Or in the most painfull way? To ignore your costs is a sure path to failure.

Look, successful photographers don't compete on price. There you now have the secret to being a successful shooter.

I realize that this forum is full of people who want to become shooters, as well as just plain people who enjoy photography. BUT, if you are going to make a serious attempt to make a living at photography, whether it is shooting weddings every weekend or doing huge advertising productions, you better get on the stick about how to run a business and do it right from the get go. If not, you are one of the many, many who will try and fail.

Good luck,

Ken
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:46:56 am by ruraltrekker »

Dennishh

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 02:27:14 pm »

3,000 images is allot!  It might be best is you do a edit with the client before you do any raw processing. We charge a per image fee for raw processing and a capture fee per day for camera usage. In your case the hourly fee for that many images might be the best way to go.
Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up