Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loss of Sharpness Printing Actual Size from LR  (Read 1372 times)

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
Loss of Sharpness Printing Actual Size from LR
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:02:11 pm »

I am observing a loss of sharpness in the printed image when printing an image actual size from LR 2.0.

If I print the same file directly from Photoshop CS3 actual size (no resampling) the image is sharp. The effect is noticeable on small text and fine details like hair. Although I am examining the print closely, it was the soft text that caught my eye at a normal viewing distance. I am printing out of Photoshop at 360 ppi to an Epson 3800. In LR 2.0 I have the resolution unticked, no sharpening, and the image size adjusted using the Cell Size to give a 360 ppi image in the Guides/Dimensions info.

If I tick the Print Resolution box and set it to 360 ppi (not altering the print dimensions) the effect is the same. I see the same effect in LR 1.41 but it is slightly less noticeable. If I apply any output sharpening in LR the text looks bad.

Here are details:

Image sent from LR to photoshop as 'Edit Original' no sharpening at any stage. Output actual size at 360 ppi. Image is sharp when printed.

Same image printed actual size directly from LR. Image is soft when printed. (you will have to look closely - text is obvious especially white or light grey text against black background)

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 8 GB Ram. Leopard 10.5.4
Epson 3800 using PremSemigloss in both ABW and normal RGB ICC mode.
LR set to 16 bit but effect is on 8 bit as well.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a solution or workaround?

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up