Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ReadyNas NV+ vs Non-NAS backup  (Read 7089 times)

fuzzyfoto

ReadyNas NV+ vs Non-NAS backup
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:34:29 pm »

I am seriously considering purchasing a ReadyNas NV+ network backup system to hook up to my cable network router. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of using a NAS vs a non-nas system? What would be the best ReadyNas configuration? Does Netgear have the best - bang-for-the-buck Nas systems?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:34:51 pm by fuzzyfoto »

Jon Meddings

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:55 am »

I am seriously considering purchasing a ReadyNas NV+ network backup system to hook up to my cable network router. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of using a NAS vs a non-nas system? What would be the best ReadyNas configuration? Does Netgear have the best - bang-for-the-buck Nas systems?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Couple of comments. First, I've owned the ReadyNAS NV+ for a year now. It has run continually with 4 Seagate 500 Gb drives in it in a RAID 5 configuration. It has never failed. I've upgraded the software several times over the web and from that perspective it has been problem free.

It has 1.5 TB of usable space. I keep RAW images on it and currently there are about 60,000 RAW files from a variety of cameras on this as well as some backups from other machines on the network.

I intend on keeping the box and likely this fall will upgrade the drive sizes on it to 4 1 TB drives (likely Seagate but you have to check the hardware compatibility list). What I have found is that using it (even on a gigabit network) is too slow for useful work on many large images in LR and PS. So I've changed my workflow slightly.

What I do now is to keep a 1st copy of all my image files (mostly RAW) on a local HD. I also have my LR catalog local and this allows rapid access to data. Each night I use SynBack to synchronize my local directories to the REadyNAS and so I have a backup of all my files (and catalogs) on the network server that is also available for others on the network to use. This works seamlessly.

Once a week I also mirror the ReadyNAS directory to an external eSATA 1 TB drive for a 3rd copy of my images and working directory structure.

All in all, I like the system and am happy with the purchase. I wish it were faster and would actually love a system that could be accessed by both eSATA and ethernet. Small issue.

fuzzyfoto

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:57:28 pm »

Thanks for your reply Jon. I decided to go with the Drobo because of its total ease of use on Macs and PCs. I didn't get the Droboshare which is a NAS because I don't think it would serve my purposes right now and I want to wait for the 2nd generation Droboshare which I am sure will have better performance. I could always add it later.

I had a couple of questions regarding the ReadyNas so I called the company and was connected with someone in India. The Drobo company is a US company offering support in the US. Besides, the Drobo seems like a great product and I've heard some great things about it. A couple of people I know use the Drobo 1st and 2nd generation and love it. It's infinitely scalable, good software, good support from the company, ease of use, performs as advertised.

fuzzyfoto
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:59:29 pm by fuzzyfoto »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:35:10 am »

I've been using my ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda drives for about 7 months on my gigabyte LAN in my home office. I use it only for mirrors of the image, video and data folders on my various Macs (MacPro 8-core and MacBookPro).

It is a great device and I have had no problems other than I cannot delete certain folders created on the device by my Mac. I can delete the folder using a PC (Parallels on my Mac to run WinXP needed for WinXP-only business applications). I've been working with Netgear tech support and there is a new firmware upgrade that supposedly addresses the problem. I will install this when I get back from my Alaskan vacation.

Other than this minor issue, the device works great. On my LAN, I typically get 12-18 MPS transfer speeds. This is very acceptable for image and video backups and to use the device as a music or data server. I agree with the previous poster that it is too slow to use as working storage for large image or video files. I use FW800 drives attached to my MacPro for that purpose. This is in addition to the 4 x 1TB internal drives on my MacPro.

On more thing. Forget using Retrospect backup software that ships with the device. It has issues on the Mac platform. I use Chronosync to create mirror copies on my ReadyNAS NV+ and it is fast and reliable.

Good luck.
Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up