Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 4.0 vs. Capture One Pro 3.7  (Read 13573 times)

The View

Capture One 4.0 vs. Capture One Pro 3.7
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:08:44 am »

In the process of researching RAW processors I am wondering what the key difference is between Capture One (ex-LE) and Capture One Pro.

Is it just the database? Or Workflow tools? Or can you adjust images to a higher degree with the pro version?

I know several members here are using C1 Pro and I'd appreciate their experience/comments.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Steve Gordon

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:59:03 am »

C-One ver 4 (the old le) is the long awaited update to ver 3 with a new interface, a few new tools and workflow.

3.7 pro is old and the whole world is awaiting the update of the pro version to ver 4 (promised over a year ago) Pro has some nice features which you can see from the website but those features are pretty well eclipsed by most other RAW converters that have kept up with the times.

Even 4.0 lacks a lot of the features of the competition but I like the workflow and the output quality has always been good.

Everyone expects big things if the pro version ever does surface ... but some folks believe that what was once the king of all RAW converters may have now missed the boat...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:59:51 am by Steve Gordon »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 09:13:35 am »

The two main differences I remember between 3.x Pro and 3.x LE are that Pro has arbitrary rotation and tethered shooting, while LE does not.  I don't know about 4.x.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 09:24:31 am »

The two main differences I remember between 3.x Pro and 3.x LE are that Pro has arbitrary rotation and tethered shooting, while LE does not.  I don't know about 4.x.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Both inculded in V4 now.
Pro
- has enhanced workflow/folder options
- has enhanced color management options such as color editor and proof profiling
- can convert to CMYK profiles
- has enhanced output options (in V3x three outputs at once in different color spaces and/or file formats JPEG and TIF)
- has a stichting tool for DB-files

Thomas

The View

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:02:42 pm »

Both inculded in V4 now.
Pro
- has enhanced color management options such as color editor and proof profiling
- has enhanced output options (in V3x three outputs at once in different color spaces and/or file formats JPEG and TIF)

Thomas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those color management options sound really interesting. I'm very curious about what C1pro 4 will look like.

The stitching tool... I don't know if that excites me. Photomerge in cs3 is pretty good.

Does C1pro 4 have some kind of curves like DPP?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:21:15 pm »

Both inculded in V4 now.
Pro

Thomas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Upon consideration: if the actual RAW processing is the same, those additional features seem to be well handled in Photoshop and not really necessary.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:02:03 pm »

Upon consideration: if the actual RAW processing is the same, those additional features seem to be well handled in Photoshop and not really necessary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unless, of course, you don't want to round trip everything to photoshop.

The View

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:05:24 am »

Unless, of course, you don't want to round trip everything to photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That got me interested!

Can you give me some details about such a work process?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:05:47 am by The View »

tho_mas

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:33:05 am »

Upon consideration: if the actual RAW processing is the same, those additional features seem to be well handled in Photoshop and not really necessary.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
True. Depends on what kind of workflow you prefer. If time does matter I think extensive adjustment in the raw converter is just faster - much faster. If you have the time to adjust every single capture in a different sophisticated way you can do that in Photoshop as well.

The View

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:46:44 am »

True. Depends on what kind of workflow you prefer. If time does matter I think extensive adjustment in the raw converter is just faster - much faster. If you have the time to adjust every single capture in a different sophisticated way you can do that in Photoshop as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually like doing as much as possible in the RAW converter.

I'm sure more and more editing tasks will actually made within the RAW converter.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »

Here is a link to Phase One's Knowledge Base.  It will tell you a bit about 3.7 vs 4.0.

http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

The View

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »

Here is a link to Phase One's Knowledge Base.  It will tell you a bit about 3.7 vs 4.0.

http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215062\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was actually interested in the difference between C1 4 and the pro version.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 07:52:28 pm »

I've stopped waiting for C1 v4 Pro to be released. I've used it since 2003 and became very efficient with it, but it's been too long of a wait. My results from C1 v3.7.8 from 1Ds3 files are disappointing. They lack sharpness, clarity and dimension, even with custom ICC camera profiles. I'm currently using Raw Developer and find the image control and results to be outstanding. It's sharpening/noise reduction algorithms are the most complete I've tried. The biggest drawback is getting used to the new workflow and the file management that comes with it. The demo's free, so it may be worth your while.
~ CB

The View

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:22:20 am »

I've stopped waiting for C1 v4 Pro to be released. I've used it since 2003 and became very efficient with it, but it's been too long of a wait. My results from C1 v3.7.8 from 1Ds3 files are disappointing. They lack sharpness, clarity and dimension, even with custom ICC camera profiles. I'm currently using Raw Developer and find the image control and results to be outstanding. It's sharpening/noise reduction algorithms are the most complete I've tried. The biggest drawback is getting used to the new workflow and the file management that comes with it. The demo's free, so it may be worth your while.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks,  Chris. I heard about the problems with 1DIII and 1DsIII files.

RAWshooter is for PC only, am I right?

I currently use DPP, which I really like, and which works great with Photoshop. I'm just keeping my eyes open.

So, as for me, there is no pressing need for a new RAW software. So I could wait for C1pro 4, because it's not actually a wait.

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 03:25:25 pm »

Here is a quick list of what the current 3.7.9 Pro has that 4.1 does currently have.  The 4.2 version should be the Pro version and should be out for Photokina this September.

1. Overlay Tool
2. Live Preview
3. Color Editor
4. Batch re-name
5. Canon tethering
6. Multiple destinations (processing jpeg / tiff at multiple sizes at the same time)

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 05:45:53 pm »

Chris, any word on when we can expect v3.7.9 for Windows?  

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 08:44:03 pm »

The biggest change for alot of photographers I work with has been that the app no longer creates your job folder and session. In my experiences this has lead to some pretty badly managed shoots. In response to this I wrote an applescript based app that creates the familiar captures/trash/processed folders and I've added retouch and sub-shot folders within the captures folder. If your interested feel free to download it from www.rapdigital.net/job_folders_3_3.zip
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 02:53:01 am »

Thanks,  Chris. I heard about the problems with 1DIII and 1DsIII files.

RAWshooter is for PC only, am I right?

I currently use DPP, which I really like, and which works great with Photoshop. I'm just keeping my eyes open.

So, as for me, there is no pressing need for a new RAW software. So I could wait for C1pro 4, because it's not actually a wait.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't know about RAW Shooter. I use Mac computers and Raw Developer is available for only the Mac platform.

As for DPP v3.4.1, I had two issues. I was getting jaggies in some of my output, especially along the edges of plant & flowers. Skin textures were smooth as silk, but organic edges were not good. The other thing I didn't like was the crude method of making "Picture Styles". DPP relies 100% on picture styles and the method of making them is too crude for my tastes.
~ CB

The View

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 03:50:17 am »

I don't know about RAW Shooter. I use Mac computers and Raw Developer is available for only the Mac platform.

As for DPP v3.4.1, I had two issues. I was getting jaggies in some of my output, especially along the edges of plant & flowers. Skin textures were smooth as silk, but organic edges were not good. The other thing I didn't like was the crude method of making "Picture Styles". DPP relies 100% on picture styles and the method of making them is too crude for my tastes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, mixed up RAW shooter with RAW Developer.

Regarding DPP, I always set the "picture style" to neutral. This means " no picture style".

I actually use an older version of DPP, the one that came with 40d, possible just the version before.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 12:03:01 pm »

Regarding DPP, I always set the "picture style" to neutral. This means " no picture style".[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The "neutral" style still transforms pixel values through an input curve. However, there is no color enhancement as far as I can tell. The huge downside to Canon's software is we can't see or edit that curve to our liking. The Neutral style has been saved and "locked" so none of its parameters can be seen or changed in Picture Style Editor.

Raw Developer, on the other hand, does have editable input curve parameters (along with many other input parameters) that allows for incredible control of the image data before the application of RGB curves, chroma curves, sharpening, etc.

Even Capture One uses input curves but they only offer three curves, none of which are viewable or editable ("film standard", "film extra shadow" and "film high contrast").

The input control of Raw Developer makes the program worth testing. My only wish is for an overlay feature like that of Capture One. When working with client approved layouts it is a very powerful feature.

I don't know of anyone who uses advanced Picture Styles, but a complete explanation of Picture Style Editor, along with more additional downloadable Picture Styles, can be found [a href=\"http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/index.html]here[/url].
~ CB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up