Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: L-L Guide to LR2 - Playback problem  (Read 41781 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
L-L Guide to LR2 - Playback problem
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 10:17:19 am »

I've also tried to play file No.4 (Right Panel) in Quick Time nothing happens.

3.06Ghz iMac......... However in preview it play's fine.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
as suggested above, use VLC Player[a href=\"http://www.videolan.org/vlc/] available free here[/url]

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 10:47:28 am »

Yes, I would but the download keeps timing out...........

and I have a very fast connection,

maybe there servers are just being hit hard by all the people trying to view file number 4......  

Wayne194

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 03:18:26 pm »

Interesting that there have been these playback problems reported - and a couple of others by email. Anecdotally, it seems that G4 Macs are more affected (perhaps exclusively?) than Intel machines.

The H264 codec used for the video encoding is a CPU & RAM hog, that is for sure. So...

The best that I can suggest for Mac users is to reboot the computer (which I know you have done...) and then boot QuickTime Player as the first and only app running, then try to open the videos from within QT Player.
If you still have problems, boot Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) and check to see what the CPU & memory usage is. In theory, there should be very little else going on other than QT Player; if there is, it should be recognisable what else is hogging your CPU & RAM.

I will re-encode these few files on the weekend. Unfortunately there is no way to get them to you other than through the full packaged zip files of your order.

Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211839\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There seem to many files that the picture is frozen but the sound is fine.
Will this be fixed as well.
I am using Quicktime Pro and never had a problem before.
I am using a pc.
Thanks
Wayne
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:19:32 pm by Wayne194 »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 04:07:21 pm »

VLC Player which is a free program will likely sort out the problem

mminegis

• http://www.marifotografia.com
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 04:09:14 pm »

Same here - sound is fine but the picture doesn't follow ie frozen. I've been fiddling, like quitting Quick Time and reopening it etc.. Still, doesn't solve the problem. Plus, VLC player doesn't work on my G4/10.4.11.
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 04:49:49 pm »

Same here - sound is fine but the picture doesn't follow ie frozen. I've been fiddling, like quitting Quick Time and reopening it etc.. Still, doesn't solve the problem. Plus, VLC player doesn't work on my G4/10.4.11.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think I have pretty much established that there is indeed a problem playing these files on some older Mac G4s. For most people on Intel the files will play (if with occasional problems). I am working on a solution or workaround as I write this.
BTW VLC player comes in two Mac flavours: an Intel version and a PPC version, make sure you have the right version; one will not work on the other's machine
Chris Sanderson

mminegis

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »

yes Chris, you were right I had the wrong version - Now I have installed the right one/power pc version  and it doesn't run either!!! pictures are partially scrambled (like pay per view that you don't pay)... so I'll wait for your workaround   many thanks.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 09:16:59 pm »

I am now 99% certain that the files are just overwhelming the G4 with their size/resolution. I believe the solution is likely to be that we publish an 'SD' version at a considerably smaller size either 960 x540 (probably still too big), 854 x 480 (reasonable) or 720 x 406 (starting to get iffy in terms of reading the small LR UI text). I am working on this and will let you know what my plans finally are.

In any event, it is going to take me a few days to complete all the re-encoding, so it is likely there will not be a proper solution until Monday, Aug 3rd at the earliest.

My apologies to those who have had problems - mea culpa. I let the good looks of the higher resolution get away from older machines...  

Chris Sanderson
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:02:09 pm by Chrissand »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 09:35:31 pm »

960 x540 IS still too big - the G4 croaks
854 x 480 plays OK and you can just read the small UI type - so that looks like the one that will go... one more test and I will make a decision...

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 11:39:58 pm »

748 x 420 plays fine on my old 667MHz G4 PowerBook - (although if you do anything else the frame rate slows). So that's the resolution we'll go with - 854 started to stutter eventually.

748 x 420  also imports into iTunes fine. I should be able to publish it by Monday and it will go up on the Store as a Standard Definition version. Anyone who has bought the original and cannot play it will be able to get a coupon to download the beast free of course.

I am hoping & reasonably confident that this will also solve the scattered problems that other OS & machines have had with playback

Chris
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:46:27 pm by Chrissand »

rugydp

• http://rdp-photo.net
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:15 am »

I believe the solution is likely to be that we publish an 'SD' version at a considerably smaller size either 960 x540 (probably still too big), 854 x 480 (reasonable) or 720 x 406 (starting to get iffy in terms of reading the small LR UI text). I am working on this and will let you know what my plans finally are.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would really appreciate to have a SD version. I just had a look at the "Camera Raw" and the "From Capture to Print" files. They are only 640 x 360 and I was even happy with that resolution. I think 854 x 480 would be a good compromise.

Thank you for listening.

...and still, enjoy your weekend

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 03:38:02 pm »

I have decided to go smaller yet for the SD - back to the 640 x 360 size. I was breaking a compression 'rule' that says that each dimension should be divisible by 8
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:38:26 pm by Chrissand »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 10:49:53 pm »

I have had to exercise a little 'triage' in the replacement of the #4 & #29 files. More people (about a dozen) have had problems overall with the files, so my first priority is to get an alternative SD product into the Store. I plan to replace the original (HD) files #4 & #29 as soon as I have encoded the 40 SD files - should be sometime in the next 72  hours - thanks for your patience. I will make a post here when those two files are replaced.
Chris S

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 10:19:05 am »

I have just replaced the first zip package of files named LR2_00-04.zip. Within that package the only file that has been revised is #4 Library Right Panel.

I would appreciate it if someone who had problems with this file can tell me if the new one has made a difference to play-ability

Chris

francois

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 12:15:03 pm »

I have just replaced the first zip package of files named LR2_00-04.zip. Within that package the only file that has been revised is #4 Library Right Panel.

I would appreciate it if someone who had problems with this file can tell me if the new one has made a difference to play-ability

Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris,
On my Mac, the newly encoded file is opened instantly and plays smoothly. I tested on an old dual G5. The original file took between 30 seconds on 1 minute as I mentionned in my previous post.
Thanks for the re-encoding!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:16:38 pm by francois »
Francois

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 12:28:41 pm »

Many thanks Francois!

I have also now replaced the big #29 Print

Let's hope the same applies.

I have had one complaint about # 21 - any others?

francois

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:06 pm »

Many thanks Francois!

I have also now replaced the big #29 Print

Let's hope the same applies.

I have had one complaint about # 21 - any others?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, #29 was also slow to open but #21 was fine.
Francois

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 03:45:46 pm »

Well, #29 was also slow to open but #21 was fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Francois, I wonder if you could do me another favour?... if you have QuickTime Player Pro.

Make a duplicate copy of the new # 29; open it in QT Player, do a Command J (show attributes), you will see four tracks; select the Text track (the chapters) and hit the Delete button top left; Save the movie with an appropriate name. Quit QuickTime Player and then try the new chapterless-file again and tell me if it still is slow to load or if perhaps it is the Chapters track that is making the file a 'problem child'.
Chris

rugydp

• http://rdp-photo.net
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 06:42:18 pm »

Francois, I wonder if you could do me another favour?... if you have QuickTime Player Pro.

Make a duplicate copy of the new # 29; open it in QT Player, do a Command J (show attributes), you will see four tracks; select the Text track (the chapters) and hit the Delete button top left; Save the movie with an appropriate name. Quit QuickTime Player and then try the new chapterless-file again and tell me if it still is slow to load or if perhaps it is the Chapters track that is making the file a 'problem child'.
Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is it. It makes not only file # 29 open as fast as it should. Deleting the text track on each file makes them play in pristine quality in FrontRow on my MacMini streamed from my iTunes library on the G5 PowerMac over WLAN. Even with the 1280 x 720 resolution. That's great.

Chris, for me all problems are solved. Thank you very much.

mminegis

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 07:17:09 pm »

I've given up on staring at frozen images... waiting for SD versions tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up