Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Portfolio (18 images)  (Read 12627 times)

rustyjaw

1st Portfolio (18 images)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 12:18:06 pm »

As many others have noted , a subject matter done well but almost done too much.

an observation,

You lead the viewer into the scene with open doors, ropes , ladders and other nice treatments , but I am trying to find the center of interest in most of these images, but since the whole image contains so much detail my eye wanders around and moves away from the image quite quickly.
An obvious sample would be the toilet, but there is so much info going on outside the door I am not sure of what your are trying to quide me to.
Though depending upon time of day I may find the bowl much more obvious.
This may not be a bad thing as a depection of a old worn out building with all its cracks and decay your work is very good by showing all the subtle and not so subtle textures you have opened up, but somehow I am wondering if you are trying to say more and maybe you should  try to say less by really forcing the eye to your interest points.
Possibly de- emphasising areas that are not so important to you and more emphasis of areas that are of importance would help using different editing methods.

These are good observations, thank you for taking the time to post them! I do sense what you mean that in some shots there isn't a point of interest, but rather a collection of impressions. My goal with the images is to allow one to inhabit the scene, to explore it almost as if they were there. It's why I shoot mainly dead-on, and also why the ones that are shot off-axis might fail in this goal, because they make the camera position more apparent.

Nevertheless, I understand what you are saying, and I will keep that in mind as I move forward. I think it's possible to do both, to have a focused point of interest and also allow the rest of the scene to be there to explore. I think some of these shots do that, the 3rd one for example, although it isn't a challenging composition.

Also some of the distortion is distracting me which may be better not seen.

By distortion are you talking about the off-axis shots (looking up), or something else?

I would  love to see these images in print as they are probably specatular live and there does seem to be enough difference in images staying well within a common theme.
Is this a single building or are these images taken from different locations?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have printed a few of these and they look good for the most part, the detail comes through and that is what I am looking for. These shots represent 9 different locations.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:19:03 pm by rustyjaw »
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

peteh

• http://
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:08 pm »

Very very nice! Hard to pick a favourite, but I think it would have to be "5. Compressor no. 1" for me. #14 (The Blues) is the only one that immediately struck me as being out of place. But the rest make a great set.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
May I ask ,where these were taken? The photos are very well done. Looks like a prison ,somewhere.Big cells too.

rustyjaw

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:42:42 am »

May I ask ,where these were taken? The photos are very well done. Looks like a prison ,somewhere.Big cells too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the "prison" ones are from a former military stockade.

The rest are from an abandoned church, a WWII drydock facility, a psychatric hospital, a naval electronics factory, a tuna cannery (shuttered after deaths from botulism poisoning in the 60s), a navy base, and a former hot springs resort hotel.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:29:32 am by rustyjaw »
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 03:27:16 pm »

I thought I'd chime in to say that my favourite image is "The Blues". But, I agree with the others that is just doesn't belong here. It is comparatively warm and bright and includes much more of the outside world through the windows than any of the others which -- even if actually above ground -- feel subterranean.

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:36 pm »

What i wanted to know is how you managed to get images of Alcatraz where people are just not present in the images. And, the access you have is...special!

Very jealous.

lbalbinot

• http://luisbalbinot.com/
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 10:22:58 am »

Very nice! Just taking the time and effort to put a portfolio together is a LOT of work, congratulations. I specially like photo #13, a very different approach.

Regards,
Luis
Luis F Balbinot
luisbalbinot.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up