Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacific Coast in November 08  (Read 40382 times)

daleeman

• http://
Pacific Coast in November 08
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 06:44:21 am »

Hi All,
I am very amazed at all the great ideas pouring in here giving us some direction. It looks like we are on track to spend 8 days on Rt 1 and some inner parts starting up at the top of the state.

Sue is excited and so am I. She gets to travel really light, with her binoculars, leaving her spotting scope behind. I’m still juggling the idea of my D300 w/18-200VR lens and… It’s the “and” thing that gets me. I have a 4x5 Tachihara with a 150mm Nikkor and would love to shelp that about. I really only have shot Illford Delta 100 B&W with it since getting it. I still love that B&W thing inside of me. As a substitute, would any of you vote for more mobility and reduce down to my Mamiya 645S, I have a 55, 80 & 150 for that and again, I’m still a B&W guy.

Any ideas, weight vs mobility (I’m not the spring chicken I used to be)

Always take more ideas on places to see. Any experience with ghost towns that still look like ghost towns, without cute plaques erected explaining on this spot in 1984 bla bla bla?

daleeman

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 08:04:37 am »

Great photo. I'm really looking forward to going. Will contact you directly and we can all get out for some time.

I just put a post at the end about what to bring. Spped of travel with smaller eq or lug the 4x5.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:36:02 am by daleeman »

elkhornsun

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 05:31:13 am »

Two inexpensive books will be a big help in planning your itinerary and maximizing photo opportunities. First is the Photo Secrets - San Francisco and Northern California by Andrew Hudson ($16.95) and the second is "The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite" by Michael Frye.

You can do your own thing but these well illustrated books (including maps) are great for pre-scouting locations. At the price these books are one of the best values around.

peteh

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 03:38:14 pm »

Two inexpensive books will be a big help in planning your itinerary and maximizing photo opportunities. First is the Photo Secrets - San Francisco and Northern California by Andrew Hudson ($16.95) and the second is "The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite" by Michael Frye.

You can do your own thing but these well illustrated books (including maps) are great for pre-scouting locations. At the price these books are one of the best values around.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try googleing, Bodie.Been there one time.Not on the coast.Go to Yosemite then over the Tioga Pass, if it's open.Then go North  on 395 from Mono Lake and then right off 395 down a long dirt washboard laden road for 1/2 hour.I was there in October.Might be snowed in by November though.A true ghost town.

gdanmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:24 pm »

You do realize that November will be quite cold for Northern CA, right? I mean it's not horrible, but November "starts" our rainy season, which means you could get rain for two weeks straight--no joke. September is our driest and warmest month. So far we have had maybe 3 days of warm sunshine. The rest of the time, from January until now have been of three types: Overcast, Wind, Cold, or a combination thereof. It's been a long winter for us this season. If you want to spend a night in Humboldt, the Lost Whale Inn is WONDERFUL. It overlooks the ocean and has a deck all around it. It's individually owned and has about 7 rooms in an old Victorian style house. It's amazing, comfy, homie, warm, so, so nice.

www.lostwhaleinn.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That _could_ happen, but in most years you'll have some very lovely weather with temperatures that sit between the sometimes-oppresively-hot summer and early fall conditions and the occasionally-it-actually-does-get-cold-in-California weather that can arrive a bit later.

Frankly, my favorite seasons for photographing California are fall and winter. If you want the best chance at minimizing foggy conditions, the last half of September through the better part of October might be a better bet - but the combination of sunny, foggy, and perhaps a winter front coming through can create some of the most compelling and dramatic conditions for photography in California.

I'll second the earlier recommendations about the coast south of San Francisco, which happens to be the portion that I know best. (I can drive over the hill to photograph sunset and be back home later that evening. Lucky me! :-)

If you have some flexibility, a few ideas to consider:

1. Come just a _bit_ earlier. Around the last week of October the fall colors in portions of Yosemite Valley are quite stunning, and they provide quite a different view of the Valley than you might be familiar with. (There are wonderful fall colors in other portions of the Sierra, in particular on the east side, in early October as the aspens turn.)

2. Watch the conditions and evolve your plans accordingly after you arrive. If a really big winter front does happen to come through you might not want to be on the North Coast, but you might want to head to Yosemite Valley and get some photos combining fresh snow and fall colors. If the weather turns out to be warm and sunny, the North Coast could be the place to go first.

Dan
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55:45 am »

That _could_ happen, but in most years you'll have some very lovely weather with temperatures that sit between the sometimes-oppresively-hot summer and early fall conditions and the occasionally-it-actually-does-get-cold-in-California weather that can arrive a bit later.

Dan
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are no oppressively hot days in Humboldt county along the coastline. If you do a weather.com search you'll see what I mean. average temperature for this month is 59 degrees, cloudy, and 5-20MPH winds. If you are inland 15 miles, it's a completely different story.

[a href=\"http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/95521?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared]http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatolo...mnav_undeclared[/url]

daleeman

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 07:16:02 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209507\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just looked up these book on Amazon. Looks interesting. I thank you for the ideas. I am so looking forward to going.

Do you have any great images you might share on here from the area?

Lee

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:07 am »

Do you have any great images you might share on here from the area?

Lee
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a few images of the area up on my landscape site, www.houseoflandscapes.com  Don Libby has a great B&W image of Pfeiffer State Beach on his site, www.ironcreekphotography.com

The Big Sur fire is under "control"  (term lightly used)----Hwy 1 is open and all businesses in Bug Sur are now open.

ken

daleeman

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »

Frankly, my favorite seasons for photographing California are fall and winter. If you want the best chance at minimizing foggy conditions, the last half of September through the better part of October might be a better bet - but the combination of sunny, foggy, and perhaps a winter front coming through can create some of the most compelling and dramatic conditions for photography in California.

I'll second the earlier recommendations about the coast south of San Francisco, which happens to be the portion that I know best. (I can drive over the hill to photograph sunset and be back home later that evening. Lucky me! :-)

If you have some flexibility, a few ideas to consider:

1. Come just a _bit_ earlier. Around the last week of October the fall colors in portions of Yosemite Valley are quite stunning, and they provide quite a different view of the Valley than you might be familiar with. (There are wonderful fall colors in other portions of the Sierra, in particular on the east side, in early October as the aspens turn.)

2. Watch the conditions and evolve your plans accordingly after you arrive. If a really big winter front does happen to come through you might not want to be on the North Coast, but you might want to head to Yosemite Valley and get some photos combining fresh snow and fall colors. If the weather turns out to be warm and sunny, the North Coast could be the place to go first.

Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dan, Would love to come many times. This one will be special, Sue and I will be on our honeymoon and we are more than willing to come back several times in the future.

Lee

TimBoz

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »

Always take more ideas on places to see. Any experience with ghost towns that still look like ghost towns, without cute plaques erected explaining on this spot in 1984 bla bla bla?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're over by Yosemite, and the snow hasn't closed Tioga Pass, go over to the ghost town of Bodie.   It is in a state of "arrested decay" and has plenty of photo ops.
And nearby Mono Lake is rather well known to the photography world.

Rt 1 along the coast is not to be missed.  From a small beach with perfectly round boulders in the Mendocino-Salt Point area, to Goat Rock at the mouth of the Russian River, to Point Reyes and Muir Woods just north of San Franciso, it is an amazing experience in all seasons.   Yes it winds around and you'll do about 30 miles per hour average, but that's all part of the experience.

daleeman

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 12:14:50 pm »

If you're over by Yosemite, and the snow hasn't closed Tioga Pass, go over to the ghost town of Bodie.   It is in a state of "arrested decay" and has plenty of photo ops.
And nearby Mono Lake is rather well known to the photography world.

Rt 1 along the coast is not to be missed.  From a small beach with perfectly round boulders in the Mendocino-Salt Point area, to Goat Rock at the mouth of the Russian River, to Point Reyes and Muir Woods just north of San Franciso, it is an amazing experience in all seasons.   Yes it winds around and you'll do about 30 miles per hour average, but that's all part of the experience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would love to get to Bodie, I've hear a bunch about it. Is it open and accessable at all hours. I get up very early and would hope to visit just after sunrise and before the spandex clad tourists show up.

Once we leave Yosemite will will fo up north then work our way down Rt 1.

Lee

gdanmitchell

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

Humboldt county does not comprise the whole of Northern California.

While it is often cool along the coast - especially the north coast - in all seasons in California, even a bit inland it can be quite nice and further inland quite warm. (Wildfire season in the majority of California typically extends well into October.)

A surprise to many visitors to the areas of Northern California around SF: The nicest time of year is typically September/October.

Dan

There are no oppressively hot days in Humboldt county along the coastline. If you do a weather.com search you'll see what I mean. average temperature for this month is 59 degrees, cloudy, and 5-20MPH winds. If you are inland 15 miles, it's a completely different story.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatolo...mnav_undeclared
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
G Dan Mitchell

gdanmitchell

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 03:01:43 pm »

I would love to get to Bodie, I've hear a bunch about it. Is it open and accessable at all hours. I get up very early and would hope to visit just after sunrise and before the spandex clad tourists show up.

Might want to double-check the open hours. To my knowledge it is _not_ "open and accessible at all hours."

Dan
G Dan Mitchell

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 10:48:14 am »

Might want to double-check the open hours. To my knowledge it is _not_ "open and accessible at all hours."

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=509
If your mind is attuned t

daleeman

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 08:42:18 pm »

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=509
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the website. Looks like it will  be open from 9-4 on the days in November when we are up there.  Does anyone know if it is better to photograph this town in the morning or afternoon? I tend to try to do mornings in places because way to many people sleep in and miss the morning. 9 am is a bit past the magic hour of light unless it is in the hills and I imagine that this town is in the hills?

Any further advice?

peteh

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 02:15:35 pm »

Thanks for the website. Looks like it will  be open from 9-4 on the days in November when we are up there.  Does anyone know if it is better to photograph this town in the morning or afternoon? I tend to try to do mornings in places because way to many people sleep in and miss the morning. 9 am is a bit past the magic hour of light unless it is in the hills and I imagine that this town is in the hills?

Any further advice?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The road in there was real bad when I was there 10 years back.Drive slow.There is not too many people around.Maybe 10 at a time .It's a pretty big place.Look in the store windows, it will blow you away, how preseverved things are!

daleeman

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 02:36:40 pm »

The road in there was real bad when I was there 10 years back.Drive slow.There is not too many people around.Maybe 10 at a time .It's a pretty big place.Look in the store windows, it will blow you away, how preseverved things are!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I saw the video they have on the California's State Parks website on the arrested state of decay and it spoke of the washboard roads up to it. The video showed what one might see in the windows.

Any other ghost towns out and about in the area since all the gold dried up?

Lee

gdanmitchell

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 06:50:35 pm »

I saw the video they have on the California's State Parks website on the arrested state of decay and it spoke of the washboard roads up to it. The video showed what one might see in the windows.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216074\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As dirt/gravel roads go, this one is actually pretty darn OK. Lots of people drive out there in regular old sedans, RVs, and motorcycles. Unless you aren't comfortable driving on dirt roads period, I wouldn't worry too much about this one. And the first part is paved.

(All bets are off in case of heavy rain or snow...)

Dan
G Dan Mitchell

BradSmith

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 08:58:37 pm »

Regarding the road..... Last time I went to Bodie was late in the afternoon.  Twelve miles up a mostly gravel road, passing no sign of humanity.  When I got there, there was only one car in the parking lot.  I parked on the side of the dirt road rather than proceeding a couple hundred yards further to the lot because it was closer to where I was going to start shooting.  I meandered around the town and shot till the light was gone, never seeing another person.  By the time I got back to my car, I was the only vehicle there and found I'd gotten a PARKING TICKET!!!!!!!!

I was cursing up one side and down the other, while laughing at the same time.  Easily one of the most out of the way places I've ever been......  and I get a ticket.
Brad

daleeman

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:41 am »

Regarding the road..... Last time I went to Bodie was late in the afternoon.  Twelve miles up a mostly gravel road, passing no sign of humanity.  When I got there, there was only one car in the parking lot.  I parked on the side of the dirt road rather than proceeding a couple hundred yards further to the lot because it was closer to where I was going to start shooting.  I meandered around the town and shot till the light was gone, never seeing another person.  By the time I got back to my car, I was the only vehicle there and found I'd gotten a PARKING TICKET!!!!!!!!

I was cursing up one side and down the other, while laughing at the same time.  Easily one of the most out of the way places I've ever been......  and I get a ticket.
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216890\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could only happen to you right. Out in the middle of nowhere and you get a ticket. What a hoot. Was it from the ghost of Bodie, the old dead sheriff of the town?
Lee
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up