Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28  (Read 13260 times)

Shedaoshai

• http://
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:11:30 pm »

Hello Guys,

i'm using a Hasselblad H2 with P45. Currently I got no wide lens.
Due to the fact that I can't not use a HCD 28mm on my H2, my only choice left is the HC 35mm, or switching to an H3D :-(

Does anyone use both lenses? I'm a bit curious about the differences in the FOV, maybe the difference isn't so dramatic and the 35mm works fine. I only shoot fashion and beauty.

someone got a side by side comparison?

THANKS!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:10:23 am »

I use the 35. Excellent lens but IMO it needs to be stopped down to really perform. A friend of mine also has the 28.

Now I cannot vouch for his assessment it performs better than the 35 (though I have enough confidence in him to do so) but I had the chance to hold his 28 and my 35 in my hands.

Where the 35 is quite a big lens (though big is relative), the 28 is a much friendlier size.

I definitely am going the get the 28 because;

1) Bigger fov (a definite which I need pretty often).
2) Smaller lens than the 35.
3) Allegedly better performance.

Now if it only could have a better price tag but I believe I cannot really complain comparing other 28's  

Khun_K

• http://
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:10:38 am »

Hello Guys,

i'm using a Hasselblad H2 with P45. Currently I got no wide lens.
Due to the fact that I can't not use a HCD 28mm on my H2, my only choice left is the HC 35mm, or switching to an H3D :-(

Does anyone use both lenses? I'm a bit curious about the differences in the FOV, maybe the difference isn't so dramatic and the 35mm works fine. I only shoot fashion and beauty.

someone got a side by side comparison?

THANKS!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use and own both, and both are quite OK, although there are better wide angle lenses out there (sorry, not want to open a debate, for example those wide angle lens from Schneider and Rodenstock). The 28mm HCD is very wide, and I use it much more often than HC 35mm.  The difference between the two is several folds, 35mm was for true 6X4.5 film size, while 28mm was for only 48X36mm, so it is a lot wider in real picture.  The 28mm was alot smaller and lighter than the 35mm so it is compact and easier to shoot in location. For situations you need a SLR type shooting, the 28mm is a very good compromise. But if you shoot only fashion and beauty, may be it is not worth the investment for extra lens like HCD 28mm, let along going into a new back, at least not only for the 28mm lens, especially when you shoot beauty and fashion.  I use it rarely for fashion, but I did.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:26 am »

No discussion, I am quite convinced the Schneider Digital and Rodenstock HR are better wide-angles. I have seen the differences on several occasions, each time the Hasselblad was pretty good but both others had a visible edge in IQ.

Still looking for something with which these can be used that is portable, allows for multishot and has movements

henrikfoto

Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:45:16 pm »

No discussion, I am quite convinced the Schneider Digital and Rodenstock HR are better wide-angles. I have seen the differences on several occasions, each time the Hasselblad was pretty good but both others had a visible edge in IQ.

Still looking for something with which these can be used that is portable, allows for multishot and has movements
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Rodenstock 28 is made also for Sinar M if you are looking for a portable kit with the best lens.

Henrik
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:45:49 pm by henrikfoto »

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:53:22 pm »

I have owned both and sold the 35mm.  I agree with what has been said. I can say it is optically better but I am using on the H3DII-31. Part of the improvement was likely due to the fact that the 28mm  was designed concordantly with specific digital software corrections for optical flaws  like distortion in Flexcolor and Phocus.  While this software makes corrections with the other HC lenses, they were not co-designed like the 28mm.  However, even when converting the 35mm HC and 28mm HC files to dng (no corrections?) and processed in CS3, the 28mm was optically better in my opinion.  I should have saved some of the files. Mark

I use the 35. Excellent lens but IMO it needs to be stopped down to really perform. A friend of mine also has the 28.

Now I cannot vouch for his assessment it performs better than the 35 (though I have enough confidence in him to do so) but I had the chance to hold his 28 and my 35 in my hands.

Where the 35 is quite a big lens (though big is relative), the 28 is a much friendlier size.

I definitely am going the get the 28 because;

1) Bigger fov (a definite which I need pretty often).
2) Smaller lens than the 35.
3) Allegedly better performance.

Now if it only could have a better price tag but I believe I cannot really complain comparing other 28's 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:21 am »

The 28,actually 28.9 is a better as the 35.
My concern is when used with the DAC conversion,it is not possible to see in the viewfinder
what you are actually shooting.
For critical stuff,you would have to process the file and see the correction.
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:24:36 am »

The Rodenstock 28 is made also for Sinar M if you are looking for a portable kit with the best lens.

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200485\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But it doesn't allow movements I believe? (which you don't use that much with a 28 probably) The Sinar M is an interesting piece of equipment though.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 03:34:24 am »

The Rodenstock 28HR allows for shift,however not with the current Sinar M.
It allows for shift with the Alpa,Cambo etc.
Expensive lens btw $6K+
Maybe FotoKina might bring us something?
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:55:59 am »

The Rodenstock 28mm HR is an outstanding lens. What makes it so interesting is that it remains sharp even full open to the edge of the image circle, while the 35mm needs to be stopped down.

Thierry

But it doesn't allow movements I believe? (which you don't use that much with a 28 probably) The Sinar M is an interesting piece of equipment though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:54 am »

The Rodenstock 28mm HR is an outstanding lens. What makes it so interesting is that it remains sharp even full open to the edge of the image circle, while the 35mm needs to be stopped down.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i allways liked the sinar m for its lenses, which all are outstanding and all are usable at full aperture. for me the m system had two shortcomings: its size/ weight and the miss of a real wide angle.
both is no solved with the 28HR and the little battery, which brings down the size from a very huge camera to a relative small one,- more so if used with the 28HR because its used with viewfinder and you can demount the mirror module. with the 28 and the small battery its now an absolute portable unit and a fantastic travel/ landscape camera.
anyway,- the small battery still isnt ready for delivery,... i am waiting for it.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 08:08:39 am »

Hasselblad H2F/HC28 goes for 2400/3100euros. Totalling appr. 5500euros. I think I know which combination will end up in my bag. The other 28might be a better lens but for the things I use it the Hasselblad gives me more for less. I already could use the backp body in the first place.

The HC28 is no slouch either BTW.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:09:04 am by Dustbak »

Studio12NYC

Hasselblad HC35 vs HCD28
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 11:49:36 am »

If you're shooting fashion then the 35mm should  be enough. I used the 28 on the H3D and it is too much for people.

I shoot the same thing and the 35mm has been a fantastic lens.

I am not your art director or client so I don't know what you're going for.  But the 35mm has served me well.

The cons of using a hasselblad for the 28mm out weigh the pro's of a phase back and stuck with a 35mm.  Or you could go to Mamiya with the new 28mm.

Good Luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up