Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M  (Read 2614 times)

hobbsr

Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:47:09 pm »

Hi All,

I am still seeking a cost effective way to use my mamiya 645 AFDII with a digital back. There is an option to buy a Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M for approx $5k and I was wondering what people here thought of this as an option?

Thanks again for any advice and real experiences, I realise that this is a much older back but the 16 mega pixels will suit the usage I will have.

Thanks

Rodney

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:18:59 am »

Hi All,

I am still seeking a cost effective way to use my mamiya 645 AFDII with a digital back. There is an option to buy a Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M for approx $5k and I was wondering what people here thought of this as an option?

Thanks again for any advice and real experiences, I realise that this is a much older back but the 16 mega pixels will suit the usage I will have.

Thanks

Rodney
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that is probably overpriced since the service and support is now discontinued I beleive

The images at 100ISO and faster than 1/8th of a second are really wonderful

push the ISO or extend the shutter speed and there is trouble

I assume that you understand the crop factor meaning wides are not so wide

IMO you should spend more money and get onto a back with an upgrade program

A17 P20 or whatever

ps I had a PB for some time - love hate

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:42:58 am »

Hi All,

Thanks

Rodney

I would think that for 5K, you have quite a lot of options, and you are getting somewhat close to the price of newer backs. Personally if I were in your position, I'd get one of the following:

Mamiya ZD back for US$6,999 new. 22 megapixels.
Hasselblad Ixpress 132C for US$7,500 approx. used. 22 megapixels. You will need to find one in Mamiya AFD mount, or else get the mount changed after the fact.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:08:54 am »

The value of the kit really depends on the condition of the Kodak Proback and the acessories included.  The last time I talked with Kodak Professional, I was told that service would continue.

The Kodak Proback is wonderful for studio portraits, but can be rather limiting in other regards compared to newer MFDB offerings.  The Kodak software is excellent; the Kodak special looks add-on software module is a must-have.  Very easy to use.  Easy workflow.

Double your budget and you'll be be very close to a recent MFDB with more options.

Ken

p.s.  The Kodak Proback seems to like Microdrives better than CF cards.  You're limited to 1 and 2 GB cards.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:32 am »

Hi All,

Thanks

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

I have two of them for Contax mount and like them a lot. In many ways I still prefer Kodak's colors and tone over some of the more expensive, newer backs that I tried/owned, specially for skin. I also like the Kodak software, even if a little slow, its very intuitive. You wont go wrong buying one. As far as price is concerned 5k might be a little high, they were selling around 3k-3.5k on ebay just a short while back, but then I haven't seen them at that price since I got my 2nd one. Still, at that price the Kodak is untouchable for quality, imo the lower end Phase backs might have slightly better ergonomics but aren't as good in IQ department.

david

PS, Mine work fine with 4gb Trascend CF cards!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:57:42 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

BobDavid

Kodak DCS Pro Back 645M
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 11:36:18 am »

You can pick up an Imacon (Hasselblad) 96C for about $4K. Very nice back, works with the ImageBank. Not nearly as tempermental as the Kodak backs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up