Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NYC Queens Cemetery:Where to shoot and directions?  (Read 4324 times)

hassiman

NYC Queens Cemetery:Where to shoot and directions?
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:11:51 pm »

Hi,

There is this HUGE old cemetery in Queens just across the river from Manhattan.  You see it just before you enter the midtown tunnel going into Manhattan. I have wanted to photograph it for years.

I was wondering if there might be a NYC area photographer who would be willing to give me advice on where the best (and safest) place would to photograph this picturesque cemetery with the city of Manhattan's buildings looming in the background across the river.

I will be coming into the city from the LIE from StonyBrook and would like directions that would get me to there so I can take a few shots and continue on to the tunnel and into Manhattan.

Is the area safe?  

Any suggestions?

cgeisler

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:33 pm »

http://www.green-wood.com/

What you want is in Brooklyn. The area is safe, and you can book tours or walk around by yourself. Really interesting photo opportunities.

Carl

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:39 pm »

http://www.green-wood.com/

What you want is in Brooklyn. The area is safe, and you can book tours or walk around by yourself. Really interesting photo opportunities.

Carl
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think you're referring to the New Calvary cemetary or the Mt. Zion cemetary that is bisected by the LIE. - HUGE!

I grew up in Queens. Be careful, some parts are not so safe and you may get killed flashing camera gear... enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:45:52 am by jecxz »

camilla

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:27 pm »

Hi
have a son who lives about fifteen blocks away in Sunnyside so i know the area a bit..
From LIE bear right after the Queens Boulevard Exit so you can exit without trouble at MAURICE AVENUE. Make a right at the end of the exit ramp and continue for a few hundred yards and there you are. The safest area is the closest to you at the beginning of the cemetery let's say because there is a new hotel on your right on the same road. Naturally you can stop at several points on that road and even make a left at the end of the cemetery but there you have a lot of factories and warehouses and I cannot vouch for the safety of your gear...
On the main road there is a lot of traffic and things don't look as "Sketchy" as my son says--- if you are there during normal traffic hours- I would say evenings or nights are not as peaceful!!
Lots of luck!
PS The best photos I have seen of the place were taken with snow...
Pages: [1]   Go Up