Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to profile canvas paper  (Read 2956 times)

Bill Cooper

• http://wildencountersphotography.com
How to profile canvas paper
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »

I just got my first roll of Epson Premium Canvas Satin. I plan on spraying the final image with Art Premier Printshield. I want to create a color profile for the paper with my X-Rite eye-one. After printing the color patch onto the paper do I do an analysis of the patch results with the spectrophotometer at that time or do I have to first spray the test chart results with Printshield before using the spectrophotometer? Thanks in advance.
Bill Cooper
wildencountersphotography.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:55:08 am »

I just got my first roll of Epson Premium Canvas Satin. I plan on spraying the final image with Art Premier Printshield. I want to create a color profile for the paper with my X-Rite eye-one. After printing the color patch onto the paper do I do an analysis of the patch results with the spectrophotometer at that time or do I have to first spray the test chart results with Printshield before using the spectrophotometer? Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd apply the spray, let it all dry, then measure IF you intend to always use this process.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doombrain

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:16:20 am »

personally i wouldn't build the profile after spraying as the spray you use claims to be clear, you can't account for uneven spray amounts and the extra layer on the media will bounce light back into the xrite.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 09:44:10 am »

As someone who has made a lot of canvas profiles over the years with and without overcoats and compared the results both ways I can tell you (and confirm Andrew's suggestion) that profiling with the overcoat applied is the way to go. An even coating is certainly recommended and the EyeOne will not have any trouble with the texture nor the glossiness. EyeOne project manager Mario Offermann told me that the EyeOne was designed with canvas measurement in mind and was included in their testing.

Overcoats tend to punch down the blacks and darken near-black shadow detail. If you mistakenly profile without the overcoat and then make prints with the overcoat you will wind up with prints that are slightly too dark and lack shadow detail. Personally I make my own profiles with and without the overcoat so that I'll have the flexibility of being able to make prints and use them either way. That being said I almost always apply the overcoat but it doesn't take to long to measure the target before the coating is applied and have the profile in case it is needed. I then name my profiles something like this:

Onsight 9880 Fredrix901wr coated 5-08.icc
Onsight 9880 Fredrix901wr uncoated 5-08.icc
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Doombrain

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:34:02 am »

I agree on making two ICCs. It won't take you much more time to read them in and if we really get down to the technicalities of canvas, there won't be much difference in detail and not a great deal in colour to a none pixel peeper type person.
Pages: [1]   Go Up