Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas selection  (Read 2586 times)

billbunton

Canvas selection
« on: May 31, 2008, 06:30:16 am »

I've been asked to make some prints on canvas, to be used as a base for painting.  I've never printed on canvas, nor have I ever painted on canvas.  Any suggestions as to what I should use?  (Printing will be on a 24" Z3100).  Thanks for any info you can give me!

Bill

Dward

Canvas selection
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:23:26 am »

I've been asked to make some prints on canvas, to be used as a base for painting.  I've never printed on canvas, nor have I ever painted on canvas.  Any suggestions as to what I should use?  (Printing will be on a 24" Z3100).  Thanks for any info you can give me!

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199093\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sihl 3948 Instant Dry Satin has a beautiful texture, I think.   For an ultra-smooth surface, InkAid 901 is the best I've used.  Lexjet's Sunset Select is also a favorite of mine.  And Breathing Color's Chromata is exceptionally bright, if that's a consideration.  A much less expensive but high quality canvas is Hawk Mountain's Pallida.  A real bargain at the price.   Most of the artists I print for prefer the Sihl or Hawk Mountain, and most of the photographers prefer either the InkAid 901 or Lexjet.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

mmurph

• http://
Canvas selection
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:52:50 am »

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a related question.

I saw some 3'x5' prints on canvas by Paul Shambroom in Chicago last year.

They had a quite coarse/pronounced pattern or weave that I liked quite a bit. Think in terms of potato sacks, though not that bad - and neutral in color.

Any suggestions on canvas to look at?  I have a couple of types here - Epson PremierArt Water Resistant Canvas, Legion Prestige - but they are too fine a weave.  No place to look at different canvas'.

Or, more generally - is there a way to evaluate a weave - a rating on number of threads, etc. - to help in chooing a canvas?

Thanks!

Michael

billbunton

Canvas selection
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:17:59 pm »

Thanks for the info, David.  Since this is for a painter, I ordered some of the Sihl.  After I get a chance to try it, I'll decide if I want to try one of the others for myself.

Bill

neoprinter

Canvas selection
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:32:03 am »

Bill, I've done extensive printing on canvas for artists who subsequently paint on the prints with acrylic paints on Fredrix 901WR.  I tested a lot and found this to be the best.  The WR stands for 'water resistant.'

Robert Liles
Pushdot Studio
http://www.pushdotstudio.com/index.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up