Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor Prints From Lightroom  (Read 8220 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Poor Prints From Lightroom
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »

Each time I print from LR 1.4 or 2.0 beta the prints just look bad. They are sort of washed out and reddish.  No matter what I do. Will have LR manage the printing (turn off printer controls via printer) and set up profile using LR. No luck at all. The monitor is calibrated. However when I print the same image via Adobe Photoshop CS3 (with Photoshop managing printing) or use Qimage the images look outstanding. Colors are just great. However each time I print from LR the images are just the pits. The printer is a Canon IPF5000 running with MS Vista Home Premium. The monitor is a HP w2408 Vidid Color Widescreen Flat-Panel connected via HDMI cable.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this same situation?

Thanks!

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:42:17 pm »

Each time I print from LR 1.4 or 2.0 beta the prints just look bad. They are sort of washed out and reddish.  No matter what I do. Will have LR manage the printing (turn off printer controls via printer) and set up profile using LR. No luck at all. The monitor is calibrated. However when I print the same image via Adobe Photoshop CS3 (with Photoshop managing printing) or use Qimage the images look outstanding. Colors are just great. However each time I print from LR the images are just the pits. The printer is a Canon IPF5000 running with MS Vista Home Premium. The monitor is a HP w2408 Vidid Color Widescreen Flat-Panel connected via HDMI cable.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you are using LR v 1.4 you need to upgrade to v 1.4.1 which is available. LR v 1.4 had some serious bugs and was withdrawn by Adobe.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

StuartOnline

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:49:31 pm »

If you are using LR v 1.4 you need to upgrade to v 1.4.1 which is available. LR v 1.4 had some serious bugs and was withdrawn by Adobe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry should of stated I had 1.4.1.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:11:38 pm »

Each time I print from LR 1.4 or 2.0 beta the prints just look bad. They are sort of washed out and reddish.  No matter what I do. Will have LR manage the printing (turn off printer controls via printer) and set up profile using LR. No luck at all. The monitor is calibrated. However when I print the same image via Adobe Photoshop CS3 (with Photoshop managing printing) or use Qimage the images look outstanding. Colors are just great. However each time I print from LR the images are just the pits. The printer is a Canon IPF5000 running with MS Vista Home Premium. The monitor is a HP w2408 Vidid Color Widescreen Flat-Panel connected via HDMI cable.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not meaning to teach you to suck eggs, but are you sure that the printer colour management is turned off in the driver. It's buried quite deep under the colour controls (advanced) on the second tab - and just to make it better sometimes under LR it seems to turn itself back on again. I've had a number of interesting prints produced this way on my 5000.

Generally I prefer to print using the plugin from CS3 or Qimage, but for quick and ready stuff I o print from LR and this seems to be one of the gotchas.

Mike

StuartOnline

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:44:58 pm »

Not meaning to teach you to suck eggs, but are you sure that the printer colour management is turned off in the driver. It's buried quite deep under the colour controls (advanced) on the second tab - and just to make it better sometimes under LR it seems to turn itself back on again. I've had a number of interesting prints produced this way on my 5000.

Generally I prefer to print using the plugin from CS3 or Qimage, but for quick and ready stuff I o print from LR and this seems to be one of the gotchas.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190476\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike -- trust me the color management is turned off with the printer.  That is the last item checked before printing.

I just cannot figure out why I am able to produce good prints from either Photoshop CS3 and Qimage but not LR.

With the new release of the Adobe Raw 4.4.1 I have now just about gone back to Bridge to do all my Raw editing.  Then print from Photoshop.

I have been watching the Video tutorial on Adobe Camera Raw and it has given me a much better understanding of processing Raw via Bridge.

By the way what plug-in are using with CS3? I had a 16bit plug-in with CS2 however I have not seen one for CS3 using Vista.

Thanks!

Stu

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:45:57 pm »

Just a follow to state I still have not been able to get a good print from LR 1.4 or Beta 2.0.

However with that said Canon released on Friday May 2nd (USA) the Plug-in for CS3 (Windows including Vista) that allow 16 Bit printing with the Canon IPF5000. For those who use Mac OS X 10.5  the Plug-in was released on April 28th.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...0&modelid=14005

So now I just edit the image via LR then print via CS3 with the Plug-in.  Images look great.

Stu

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:40:48 pm »

Just a follow to state I still have not been able to get a good print from LR 1.4 or Beta 2.0.

However with that said Canon released on Friday May 2nd (USA) the Plug-in for CS3 (Windows including Vista) that allow 16 Bit printing with the Canon IPF5000. For those who use Mac OS X 10.5  the Plug-in was released on April 28th.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...0&modelid=14005

So now I just edit the image via LR then print via CS3 with the Plug-in.  Images look great.

Stu
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to let you know I had the same issue last week.  It looked like mud.
To the best of my knowledge all color management was turned off. But I just gave up and used CS3 and the images looked great. I created an edit copy and opened it under cs3.     Is this what you did also?

StuartOnline

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:54:56 pm »

Just to let you know I had the same issue last week.  It looked like mud.
To the best of my knowledge all color management was turned off. But I just gave up and used CS3 and the images looked great. I created an edit copy and opened it under cs3.     Is this what you did also?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Larry,

That is what I had mud looking images. Never could get a good print from LR.

I will just do the editing (Raw conversion) then head over to CS3.  Usually I just click on "Photo" than "Edit with Adobe Photoshop CS3".   If I have many I just use the Export and save as a Tiff 16bit.

Stu

MBehrens

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 12:05:36 am »

Larry,

That is what I had mud looking images. Never could get a good print from LR.

Stu
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193496\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This tripped me up for a while and I've seen other posts contradicting it. But Printing Templates in LR hold printer driver settings as well as LR settings. If you are going directly to the Printer driver and checking the CM, then going to LR and selecting a template... the template settings are now being used in the driver.  In LR select the template to use, select the [ Print Settings... ] button, confim or make your CM, paper, etc. settings and OK back to LR, now be sure to right-click the template name and select "Update with Current Settings." This will store the driver settings in the template.

If you already know this, great, if it helps, even better.

- Morey

larryg

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 04:42:56 pm »

This tripped me up for a while and I've seen other posts contradicting it. But Printing Templates in LR hold printer driver settings as well as LR settings. If you are going directly to the Printer driver and checking the CM, then going to LR and selecting a template... the template settings are now being used in the driver.  In LR select the template to use, select the [ Print Settings... ] button, confim or make your CM, paper, etc. settings and OK back to LR, now be sure to right-click the template name and select "Update with Current Settings." This will store the driver settings in the template.

If you already know this, great, if it helps, even better.

- Morey
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure that one of the settings (or one too many) is off.  I plan on spending more time with all the settings.  I certainly will start with your suggestions.
Thanks for your input

larryg

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 10:17:04 pm »

I am sure that one of the settings (or one too many) is off.  I plan on spending more time with all the settings.  I certainly will start with your suggestions.
Thanks for your input
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another point.  I did have LR printing pretty well but recently upgraded to the latest LR   some settings have been messed up (I assume).

MBehrens

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:12:32 pm »

some settings have been messed up (I assume).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Let us know what you work out. Always good to learn from other successes.

StuartOnline

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 05:53:53 pm »

Well after fighting with Windows Vista (PC) along with Windows Operating system for years I took the plunge and changed platforms.  I purchase a MacBook Pro. Over the past couple of day it has been a learning curve but I am starting to get a handle on it.

Now the good news is that I install Lightroom 1.4 (Mac).  Calibrated the monitor and made a couple of prints. Wow was I surprised as the prints now look great from LR. So now I am beginning to wonder if my printing problems where caused by MS Vista?

Overall I am happy that I made the change from Windows to Mac running Leopard. Everything seems to run smoother and no hour glassing (hang ups). Now I feel I should of changed to Apple years ago.

Stu

larryg

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 06:14:13 pm »

My problems with Lightroom  also started after I purchased a new notebook with Vista installed  HMMMM

I will look in that direction for a solution to this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up