Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D-II 39 MP vs. Canon 1DsIII  (Read 4592 times)

rogieronline

• http://www.rogierveldman.com
H3D-II 39 MP vs. Canon 1DsIII
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:47:11 am »

I worked with the Canon camera for years. With the 5D for about a year.

But I had to go back to the early days when I started 15 years ago in (mediumformat)photography, so I had to make the jump to the H3D-II 39. So I thought I had it all. It would be the best system ever. With extreme sharpness etcetera.

Well it does. It is a very fine camera. But I think it is more appropriate in the studio (photography) than it is in the field. Several times I came back from a shoot in harsh light conditions, with just out of focus pictures. Annoying. I think it really is way to slow in its focus. And, we know, it is all about focus!

Besides that the Hassleblad Phocus software haven't launched yet. That irritates me as well.

Might it be better for me to jump back in the 21st century by choosing the Canon 1Ds III with its stunning 21 million pixels?

Has someone have an idea? Does someone have the same problems? Maybe anyone is experiencing the same thoughts?

Let me know. I don't know what to do...

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:12:36 am »

I worked with the Canon camera for years. With the 5D for about a year.

But I had to go back to the early days when I started 15 years ago in (mediumformat)photography, so I had to make the jump to the H3D-II 39. So I thought I had it all. It would be the best system ever. With extreme sharpness etcetera.

Well it does. It is a very fine camera. But I think it is more appropriate in the studio (photography) than it is in the field. Several times I came back from a shoot in harsh light conditions, with just out of focus pictures. Annoying. I think it really is way to slow in its focus. And, we know, it is all about focus!

Besides that the Hassleblad Phocus software haven't launched yet. That irritates me as well.

Might it be better for me to jump back in the 21st century by choosing the Canon 1Ds III with its stunning 21 million pixels?

Has someone have an idea? Does someone have the same problems? Maybe anyone is experiencing the same thoughts?

Let me know. I don't know what to do...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have found no problem with the focus on the H3DII39. Are you hand holding it? What's the DOF? Which lens? There are a lot of other factors for focus (mirror delay, wind, etc). Did you rent it or do you own it? Was it continuous focus?

Yes, focus in low light is slow, same for the H1/H2. If you want high-speed focus, go for Canon.

Phocus is out for Mac now, are you PC?

I am not experiencing the same thoughts as you, other thoughts, but not these thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:15:36 am by jecxz »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:33:42 am »

I use H2/CF39 in the field all the time without much problems. Yes I do have the occassional focus problem which is more due to user error, the shallow DoF and recomposing with the center AF than a flaw in the system itself.

Were the images out of focus where focus was at the wrong place or blurred? I do think the H has a mirror slap from hell. This I do need to take into acccount while photographing.

I did redirect AF to the AE-L button instead of the release button. I also extended the mirror delay to (I think) 150ms. The mirror slap is something that would be nice when addressed by Hasselblad, I can use 1/10 on a 50 with the Digiflex which is totally impossible with the H but I agree that is stretching it to the improbable.

For bad light, harsh lighting conditions or other challenging conditions I use the DSLR which is about 30% of my time.

I did have to get familiar with focussing with the H2 though. Not sure whether any of this applies to you but hope it is of help.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:38:16 am by Dustbak »

elitegroup

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:18:13 am »

I used the Hasselblad H3D-39II and Canon 1Ds MK III as my back up for the Kooey Swimwear Campaign (you may view video footage @ my website link below)

I used the H3D-39 II hand held on a moving/swaying boat & some times Knee deep in the water also in similar hard light conditions (waves hitting my lower body  )

My hit rate was fairly high.

-In hard light I was using shutterspeeds around 1/500th of a sec. or higher
-on the boat & location using flash @ 1/200th of a sec. flash acts like a 2nd shutter helping freeze movement this may have helped my focus rate.
-most importantly very conscious about my breathing and hand holding technique, always checking focus lock confirmation and preview image on laptop screen when shooting tethered.

I'm not sure why your images were soft other than some of the reasons mentioned in other posts.

The only thing I didn't have time to work out as it was my first time using the camera was how to adjust the focus point for off center subjects.

I think Dustbak mentioned the center focus point is fixed, there's no off centre adjustment
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:49:07 am by elitegroup »

rogieronline

• http://www.rogierveldman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:53:20 am »

Thanks you so far for all your reactions.

Yes, I am  hand holding it. Using f4.0 or f5.6 with the 50-110 lens. Shutterspeeds from 1/125 up to 1/500 to avoid movement. I seem to have the same problem with the focus. I even got the focusing set on the user button, so I don't have the chance of losing the focus in that part. I even use the Mirror delay of 150 ms.

Yes, I worked with flash and the results were stunning. The pictures were very sharp. Really incredibly sharpa and crisp. There sure isn't only critic.

I used to work with several other Medium Format cameras such as the Pentax 645 and the H1. Of course the medium formats are slower in focus, that is something you just cope with. But the irritating own life the autofocus lives is pretty annoying in harsh light.

Of course it all depends on weather conditions. I can imagine that on a beach with a lot of light, using f8.0 or more, there would't be this problem.

But when I purchased the H3D, I wanted to use it anytime. Not only in the best conditions. It should be a working Horse not a parade Horse. I actually don't want to choose between camera's. I just want to depend on one, anytime I want to work.

Phocus, by the way is still a Beta version software that is so incredibly slow. I really cannot work with that. But in the meantime Flexcolor will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up