Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing Poster print - Matt or Gloss  (Read 6955 times)

simonkit

• Landscape Photography UK.com
Framing Poster print - Matt or Gloss
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:26:14 am »

I would like to frame the shot below in a 30 x 20 inch mount/frame & would appreciate peoples thoughts on what print finish is best, Matt or Gloss ?

Gloss may create too many reflections but I also believe with Matt you lose some of the impact of the shot ?

thanks

Simon

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:32:35 am by simonkit »
[url=http://www.landscapephotographyuk.c

simonkit

• Landscape Photography UK.com
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:02:50 pm »

How are you displaying this? Under glass?

Sharon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I've already bought the frame with standard glass

simon
[url=http://www.landscapephotographyuk.c

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:21:46 am »

It's all in how the image is lit. A photo printed on a glossy paper like Harman FB AL when matted, framed and behind glass will indeed be reflective. But if it's lit from above, reflected glare (angle of incidence and all that) goes to the floor and out of the viewer's line of sight. All is well. Prints on cotton rag/matte papers won't be reflective and look good with any adequate light, but you sacrifice D-max and color gamut.

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:28:39 pm »

Harman also makes a couple matte papers that are incredible. One is warm and the other is neutral. Incredible dmax and gamut.

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:28:53 pm »

Maybe Harman has made some changes, but in my tests of matte papers, the Harman FB Mp (white matte) was good but unexceptional.  Black ink alone reaches a dMax of 1.59 on my Epson 3800, and then reverses to 1.57 at the end of the curve.  Their Glossy FB Al fares much better.

If you plan to print that image on a matte paper, I'd suggest that you try Epson Velvet Fine Art, which has the best dMax of any matte paper that I've tested so far(black ink dMax of 1.77 with no reversal), a very smooth tonal response, and the slight warmth of tone to the paper white that should work very well with that very excellent image.

I'd also suggest that standard glass is not as transparent as clear Plexiglas.  Glass adds a tiny bit of green cast that may have a slightly negative effect on the warm colors of your photograph.  It's flatter, and won't scratch as easily as Plexiglas, but glass also has the potential to break in a manner that is unkind to the print.

Aloha,
Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

Chris_T

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 08:04:32 am »

It's all in how the image is lit. A photo printed on a glossy paper like Harman FB AL when matted, framed and behind glass will indeed be reflective. But if it's lit from above, reflected glare (angle of incidence and all that) goes to the floor and out of the viewer's line of sight. All is well. Prints on cotton rag/matte papers won't be reflective and look good with any adequate light, but you sacrifice D-max and color gamut.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Agreed. I will also add that my non-matte prints larger than 8"x10" under glass when viewed at certain angles would show "ripples" and reflections, much like traditional prints that are not dry mounted. Matte prints don't have this problem. Most viewers probably would not even notice, but those who are observant and critical would.

Have you tried printing the image in both matte and glossy and see which you like better under glass? That's how I make my decision for images with high D-max.

The best of both worlds is to have a matte paper with high D-max, but I'm not sure if that's technically feasible.

Chris_T

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:27 am »

I'd also suggest that standard glass is not as transparent as clear Plexiglas.  Glass adds a tiny bit of green cast that may have a slightly negative effect on the warm colors of your photograph.  It's flatter, and won't scratch as easily as Plexiglas, but glass also has the potential to break in a manner that is unkind to the print.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have not tried clear plexiglas, but the regular glass does have a tint. I come across something called "float glass", which is half the thickness of regular glass, and has less tint. But it does not seem to be readily available from most framing suppliers.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 04:12:47 pm »

I have not tried clear plexiglas, but the regular glass does have a tint. I come across something called "float glass", which is half the thickness of regular glass, and has less tint. But it does not seem to be readily available from most framing suppliers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can always use Tru-Vue glass available at most framers but at a significant cost.  WIth the size of the frame you are using I agree with the previous poster that clear plexi may be the best choice.  Weighs less, clearer, and won't break but can scratch if mishandled.

POAH

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 01:06:07 pm »

I'd not print that image on the harman matt, it does not like shadow detail at all.  I only have one gloss print at home behind glass and only because it was a free print.  I'd be more inclinded to print on one of the semi-matte type papers like Fibaprint semi-matte, I've found that the FB gloss papers still reflect too much for my liking.
Free printer profiles, PM me for info

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 11:45:04 pm »

I'd not print that image on the harman matt, it does not like shadow detail at all.  I only have one gloss print at home behind glass and only because it was a free print.  I'd be more inclinded to print on one of the semi-matte type papers like Fibaprint semi-matte, I've found that the FB gloss papers still reflect too much for my liking.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190635\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I get terrific shadow detail from Harman matte papers. I do however use a custom ICC profile.

Bartie

• http://
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 01:10:31 pm »

Hi,
    I do all my printing on Hahnemuhle 308gsm and 310 photo rag matt.I use both Canon and HP printers and get fantastic results from both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up