Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: MF vs 1Ds3  (Read 144338 times)

csp

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2008, 05:54:39 am »

About the remark on portrait photographers.

For me (fashion/beauty) the MF system was choosen because of the larger sensor, a 1DsIII for me can never come close enough to switch.
What I can now do with DOF will never be possible the same way with a 35mm sensor because simply it's smaller.

funny,  if this is so important for you  why do flood the forum with boring stopped down images  ?

samuel_js

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2008, 06:07:37 am »

funny,  if this is so important for you  why do flood the forum with boring stopped down images  ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You seem to be very active in the MF forum defending the 1Ds III against MFD.
I suppose you're like a lot of 35mm users here: Just trust numbers, graphs and other's opinions but never actually used a DB.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2008, 06:27:52 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:59:37 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

csp

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2008, 07:05:01 am »

You seem to be very active in the MF forum defending the 1Ds III against MFD.
I suppose you're like a lot of 35mm users here: Just trust numbers, graphs and other's opinions but never actually used a DB.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

and you fight against canon where ever there is a little chance does his help your ego ?

Frank Doorhof

• http://
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:48 am »

I don't know what I ever did wrong to you but you really have to visit my work more often.

I find it strange that somehow a remark can not be treated with respect but with some kind of aggression, it's a shame I thought we were all adults ?

DOF control is important in some of my work, and sometimes not.

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:48 am »

Nice reply Frank.
Much more polite than he deserved.
I am sure you know that almost everyone here appreciates your excellent and regular contributions.
Regards
Andrew
Andrew
 ht

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2008, 08:37:12 am »

Ok......

I love sitting on the john reading LL on my iphone till my legs go to sleep, but.... I can't help but get bothered by the lack of civility in the last few months. And to be honest I'm thinking about not visiting anymore.

What is the issue in most cases is that wars are fought over middle ground. FF35 and MFDB have become very close in output quality if used right, and the only rational reason to choose one over the other ( if you have to make a choice ) is no different than it was in the film days... HANDLING and COST/ROI

To those of you reading/lurking these threads in hopes to make an informed decision on what camera to purchase, lease or upgrade to, here you go....

buy the best that you can afford!

if your just starting out or your money is tied up in student loan payments, gold, apple stock, x-wives or other vices besides photography..... 5D ( fantastic camera for the money )

if your photography biz is going well and your able to put 25% of your annual net into gear... 1ds3 ( a definite upgrade from the 5D or 1ds2 )

if your biz is going really well, wifes rich, won the lottery, just sold your apple stock, or just can't resist... MFDB ( it really does not get any better than this.... but the cost may only be worth it to you and not the viewer/client unless your making very large prints or to lazy to crop in camera )

BUT.... some photographers ( including myself ) have found that the creative freedom and ability to shoot in volume ( many frames per second with brackets ) with the 1ds3 has allowed us to have a better workflow for our style. I shoot everything from tabletop product ( 1ds3 tethered ) to available light series work ( fast primes )... all for ad agencies and commercial clients. A few years ago I would ask my clients if they wanted me to shoot with the big slow camera or the small fast camera, and they said " whatever you feel comfortable with ". I don't think I've pulled out the MFDB kit since I've had the 1ds3....

A note regarding older gear....
I don't like owning gear that is out of warranty and If my bag gets swiped or crushed my insurance company can't replace something that is not in current production. I like the fact that if my gear goes south, I can make a call and have the very same kit delivered overnight to my hotel.

Now I'm going to log off and shoot some bourbon cocktails for a book.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:38:37 am by witz »

Frank Doorhof

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2008, 09:11:39 am »

@Witz,
I also find that some people are responding way to agressive and without respect, something I find very important.

I think you are right on some cases.

I always tell people that the customers are more than happy with the 5D and 1DsIII resolution wise and quality wise.
I know for a fact that a LOT of adds, covers etc. etc. are shot with (don't laugh) 20D/5D/1DsII/D2X,D200 etc.
I have even seen some backstage videos were the photographer worked with a rebel.

The key is to know what you are doing and how to get the message over, when you know how to use your equiptment you can do cover shots with a Rebel or with a D40x.

Than why go for MF.
There lies the question and for me the big difference.
I shoot both systems on a daily basis (although the 5D is not used daily actualy).
The main difference for me is not in the MP count or in the detail, the 5D allready resolves more detail than my customer needs, I have shot billboard size banners with the 5D and 20D.

I'm a photographer that wants to deliver the very best I can, regardless of thinking about costs per shot.
The MF system gives me a more 3D (reel) look in my work.
The colors/dynamic range/graduates/fine detail/bigger sensor (DOF)/25 ISO gives me all that bit extra I want in my pictures.

And sometimes as a photographer you have to think economics and buy the 1DsIII or a 5D (we could even argue if the 1DsIII is necessary and I believe not for 95% of the work) but sometimes you also have to work for yourself, for me working with a MF system is closer to what I want and what I want to see when I browse online.

One can argue all you can about the sensor size not being important but I guess that those people simply never worked with both systems.
I use both and some assignments can only be done with the DSLR, and for me none must be done with MF.
However most ARE done with MF just because I PERSONALLY want to give that extra.

Having discussions online is good, but please keep it civil.
There are alot of people here you can learn from, don't scare them away.
LL is at the moment the only forum I will go into depth into this kind of discussions and take the time to type, please don't make that also dissapear.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:13:16 am by Frank Doorhof »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2008, 10:05:42 am »

Excellent post Frank -- and much more than this thread deserved...  

specifically:
One can argue all you can about the sensor size not being important but I guess that those people simply never worked with both systems.

So when I hear folks claim they can estimate MFDB performance by comparing their 40D with one lens to their 5D with another, and then extrapolate their findings to a scientific certainty, it makes me want to vomit...

At the end of the day I am in the "this site is getting out of hand" camp...

Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:06:15 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

James Godman

• http://www.godman.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2008, 10:06:28 am »

Most professional photographers that I know who work commercially (including myself) use more than one format.  There are many reasons for choosing a particular format, including resolution, shape of the image, depth of focus, whether or not there will be electricity available on the shoot, even the fact that subjects react differently to different types of cameras (I know I have mentioned this before).  So the vehement argument for one format over another is pointless.
James Godman
[url=http://www.godmanblog.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2008, 10:46:46 am »

Excellent post Frank -- and much more than this thread deserved... 

specifically:
So when I hear folks claim they can estimate MFDB performance by comparing their 40D with one lens to their 5D with another, and then extrapolate their findings to a scientific certainty, it makes me want to vomit...

At the end of the day I am in the "this site is getting out of hand" camp...

Cheers,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192477\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think a lot of this back and forth comes from people that really don't do this for a living where they are required to shoot in different formats, or must explore the different formats to keep moving their work forward.

Yesterday I shot with the P30, p21 and Canon all for the same project all for different reasons.

I will not examine the pixels to death, or try to prove the Canon is superior to he Phase or vice versa.  I will just edit and look for the right mage, process and build web galleries.

From my point of view, if you haven't worked under pressure with any equipment, then everything is just leisurely opinions and though they might have some validity, when the S___t hits the fan is when you know if some piece of equipment really is worth the investment.

Bottom line is I think the reason the medium format forums are somewhat dormant is because there is no ground breaking cameras of late.  The new announcements are just derivatives of older product and the discussion is just the same discussions we had two years ago.

The HY6 is really a repackaged 6008, the Mamiya 3 a mamiya 2, the Hasselblad 3 just a hasselblad 2, the Canon 1ds3 a little different 1ds2. (lot of threes in that statement).

I personally think digital capture has settled down.  Now it's more the standard than the oddity and most of the cameras and backs are good and stable, at least what I use (which is all I really know about), is good and stable.

It would be a different conversation if Canon had come out with a 24mpx, 645 proportion dslr and firewire tethering, or Phase, Leaf, whoever had a back that went to super clean 1000 iso and a great lcd and a great preview file, but they haven't moved in huge leaps, just small steps so the conversations we have reflect this.

Actually the tone I see on this forum is not that bad, but I do notice a lot of questions on how to get into medium format at lower prices.  I think Phase and other makers know this, because when you see the p21+ crop $4,000 in price, I guess somebody thinks there is a market for this and I completely agree.

Yesterday out of 1,600 frames I shot about 1,200 of them with the P21+ on a Contax.  I think the total buy in cost of that camera and back would be about $13,000 and though this is still twice the price of a top of the line dslr, it's 1/3 of the price of my first medium format back and camera, so maybe there is some improvement in this area.

Once again I personally think digital capture is in kind of a holding pattern and until something really ground breaking comes out like swappable iso sensors, or hand held preview devices, easy wi-fi, or a much steeper cut in pricing, I think most of us with just use what is available and keep working.

Still, don't think for a moment that brand wars, name calling and cat photos do not keep professinals away from this or any other forum, because they do.

Like it or not, we all are judged by the company we keep.

JR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:48:15 am by James R Russell »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2008, 10:51:50 am »

Frank,

I have the same problem with some not keeping it civil and respectful. But do remember what has been said by some after some "uncivil" posts a few weeks back, concentrated at my person: the VAST majority of the members here are "civilized" and will tell it when it is going too far and putting those acting with disrespect back to the right place.

That is what happened here as well, and pretty fast.

Best regards,
Thierry

Having discussions online is good, but please keep it civil.
There are alot of people here you can learn from, don't scare them away.
LL is at the moment the only forum I will go into depth into this kind of discussions and take the time to type, please don't make that also dissapear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192471\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

But do remember what has been said by some after some "uncivil" posts a few weeks back, concentrated at my person:

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Theirry,

Your really going to have to get over it.

Your on the payroll of a camera company, (nothing wrong with that) so true or not, good or bad, your always going to be out there and as much as the good information helps your company, the hard questions, even the poorly phrased are just part of going public.

Personally I don't mind some of the hard questions as long as they are kept relevent.  I don't even care if someone does or does not like what I post, as long as it is the catalyst for new thought.

This forum needs a kick in butt  and though I don't recommend a DP review style of response, there still is some room for disagreement.

JR

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:48 am »

oh James, I am REALLY over this, believe me.

But I am a strong "believer" in respect: as long as it is said with respect anything can be said/criticized/asked. The contrary will ALWAYS makes me react, being on the payroll of a company or not, I am still a human being with my believes and behaviors.

Best regards,
Thierry

Theirry,

Your really going to have to get over it.

Your on the payroll of a camera company, (nothing wrong with that) so true or not, good or bad, your always going to be out there and as much as the good information helps your company, the hard questions, even the poorly phrased are just part of going public.

Personally I don't mind some of the hard questions as long as they are kept relevent.  I don't even care if someone does or does not like what I post, as long as it is the catalyst for new thought.

This forum needs a kick in butt  and though I don't recommend a DP review style of response, there still is some room for disagreement.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Frank Doorhof

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2008, 12:13:20 pm »

@James,

As soon as there is a camera with a full frame (or a very small crop) MF sensor.
16 bits, Real ISO50 or 25, high dynamic range.

AND all the further specs from the 1DsIII in AF/ISO perfomance, handling etc.

I think we will be together at the line to buy it straight away

Although I still have to consider about the costs ofcourse.
We can all dream can't we ?

To be honest I'm with you on one point.
Seeing the state of the 5D/1DsIII etc. it's puzzling for me that there is no MF system that comes close to the handling, especially high ISO performance and AF of a DSLR.

I must say that I only tested the H3D and H2D before buying the Mamiya setup (which for me was a better choice) and not yet the Afi or Sinar but sometimes I really miss the AF speed performance of the Canon.

On the other hand we can of course just switch between cameras without a problem.

juicy

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:46 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:04:13 pm by juicy »

DarkPenguin

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2008, 12:28:08 pm »

Bottom line is I think the reason the medium format forums are somewhat dormant is because there is no ground breaking cameras of late.  The new announcements are just derivatives of older product and the discussion is just the same discussions we had two years ago.

Just as an aside this MFDB forum is about 1.5k posts from being the busiest forum on this site.  I'm pretty sure it hasn't been around nearly so long as the number 2 forum.

Just passing through.  I really only come here to initiate a cycle of self loathing by viewing the Recent Work thread.

samuel_js

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2008, 02:10:18 pm »

and you fight against canon where ever there is a little chance does his help your ego ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192452\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually I'm not fighting anyone or anything (I also own Canon gear). I know my options and deeply trust my choices. And I don't need to defend anything against you.
I choose what I chose (MF) because it helps me to achieve my visions in a very natural way to me. My work is just connected to the way mf works and look. That's all.

Samuel

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2008, 02:50:14 pm »

Samuel, I love the first landscape shot!

samuel_js

MF vs 1Ds3
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2008, 05:58:25 pm »

Samuel, I love the first landscape shot!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up