Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reading 1ds mk iii raw in photoshop cs2  (Read 6280 times)

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
reading 1ds mk iii raw in photoshop cs2
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:58:06 pm »

I am sure this topic has been discussed before (but I couldn't find any references to it.

I primarily plan on using Lightroom  but was trying to view Cr2 files (from 1ds mk III)

I am sure I need to upgrade or download an updated support for the new Canon ids mk III.

Is this possible  (not needing to upgrade to CS3)  to read the new canon 1ds mk III
raw files in CS2?

Thanks for your input

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:50:03 pm »

Convert the native raw files (CR2) in DNG format, they will be accepted by older ACR as well.

Adobe's DNG converter is free. Note, that it can be downloaded only with ACR 4.x together; you have to "throw away" ACR after downloading.
Gabor

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:41 pm »

I am sure this topic has been discussed before (but I couldn't find any references to it.

I primarily plan on using Lightroom  but was trying to view Cr2 files (from 1ds mk III)

I am sure I need to upgrade or download an updated support for the new Canon ids mk III.

Is this possible  (not needing to upgrade to CS3)  to read the new canon 1ds mk III
raw files in CS2?

Thanks for your input
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's called an "upgrade cost."

sojournerphoto

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:43:10 pm »

Convert the native raw files (CR2) in DNG format, they will be accepted by older ACR as well.

Adobe's DNG converter is free. Note, that it can be downloaded only with ACR 4.x together; you have to "throw away" ACR after downloading.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Downside is that ACR 3.x is clearly inferior to 4.x, based on my past experience.

larryg

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »

It's called an "upgrade cost."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand the upgrade (since I have upgraded every time since 5.0)  but thought I would maybe skip a version and rely on Lightroom, which I ended up using to view the raw files.

Stll might upgrade depending on the issues I run across in the future

Panopeeper

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 01:07:04 am »

I don't know anything of Lightroom, but I think it works with ACR on its own, i.e. if you have the newest Lightroom, then you can use the same level of ACR as in PS3.
Gabor

larryg

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:51:50 pm »

I don't know anything of Lightroom, but I think it works with ACR on its own, i.e. if you have the newest Lightroom, then you can use the same level of ACR as in PS3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187840\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lightroom (latest release) works just fine.  If I need to use Photoshop for whatever reason I can always export an edit file (TIFF) and Photoshop should be able to read that file ok.

However, If I want to merge several files i.e.  Panoramics, Blended images and such this could be done easier with Photoshop from Raw to final merged image

(mostly easier for me because I am familiar with the workflow with Photoshop)

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:23:12 pm »

I understand the upgrade (since I have upgraded every time since 5.0)  but thought I would maybe skip a version and rely on Lightroom, which I ended up using to view the raw files.

Stll might upgrade depending on the issues I run across in the future
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you have Lightroom you can use it to do the conversion -- you just need version 1.3.1 of LR.  LR basically replaces ACR, and you can open a photo in Photoshop by way of LR as a TIFF or PSD file.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:04:05 pm »

Thanks for your input
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let's see, $8K+ for a 1DsM3 and you are questioning the value of upgrading to Photoshop CS3 and Camera Raw 4.x?

The thought, penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind...if ya got the bucks to drop on a 1F=DsM3 and you are pissing&moaning™ about a $199 upgrade to Photoshop, I question you priorities (and perhaps your sanity).

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 03:29:52 pm »

Let's see, $8K+ for a 1DsM3 and you are questioning the value of upgrading to Photoshop CS3 and Camera Raw 4.x?

The thought, penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind...if ya got the bucks to drop on a 1F=DsM3 and you are pissing&moaning™ about a $199 upgrade to Photoshop, I question you priorities (and perhaps your sanity).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I fully agree, Jeff.

If he bought a 1Ds3 he would be crazy to use something as blunt as LR, and might as well graduate to a decent Raw converter like Raw Developer or C1.

I was just trying to be funny, of course someone *who is happy with ACR* and lives in the US should simply upgrade. While he's at it he might as well buy your book, and get you to autograph your insults to him in it

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:32:09 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

larryg

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 11:07:42 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=188101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't really think I was pissing and moaning.  Just asked a simple question if it was possible to use 1ds mk III  files in CS2.  My intent is to use Lightroom  Unless of course you think it might not be up to the task??  
I have not CS3 yet but was intending to spend the time to learn to be more effective with LR.  

It has less to do with the $$ and more to do with spendng what free time I have to learn how to maximize my knowledge of lightroom and then upgrade to CS3 at a later date.

But again I wish you would tell us all how you really feel about it

Peter_DL

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 12:39:37 pm »

I primarily plan on using Lightroom  but was trying to view Cr2 files (from 1ds mk III) ... Is this possible  (not needing to upgrade to CS3)  to read the new canon 1ds mk III raw files in CS2?

Thanks for your input
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This backwards-compatibility via the latest DNG converter ([a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows]for free[/url]) and down to Photoshop CS & ACR 2.4 can be nice thing.

In the early days of Camera Raw, some experts (at least people I considered to be experts) claimed that ACR would just be a nicer user interface for David Coffin’s dcRaw. Interestingly enough, ACR is still listed among the software supported by his code (see link).

This of course has lost some relevance due to all the creative controls such as Clarity or Vibrance which were added in the meantime (to be applied somewhere downstream in the processing pipe).  Nonetheless, if you can deal with such "ACR dcRaw images" in Photoshop, you can certainly make yourself essentially independent from PS&ACR updates. And if it’s just to have time to address Lightroom  

Peter

--
Pages: [1]   Go Up