Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diagonal line 'jaggies'  (Read 3045 times)

duraace

Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:00:22 pm »

I've got an image taken with D300 and quality lens (85mm f1.4).  In Lightroom, I'm seeing some diagonal line 'jaggies', which I attributed to the nature of LCD displays.  I expected these to not show up in the print (Epson Pro 3800), but they've been faithfully reproduced in the print to match what I;m seeing on screen.  I have them exactly on both a native resolution and an upsized print.  Is this normal??  Anyone with an 'eye' will see 'digital' written all over it.

fennario

Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »

Were they JPEG or RAW?

If they were JPEG then the issue may be that your JPEG setting is too small or otherwise compressed.  For example if the JPEG size is set to small, meduim, etc. or detail settings are low.

If RAW then possibly the output setting of the converter is set to too small of a TIFF/JPEG.

What are the pixel dimensions of the file you are trying to print?

duraace

Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:41:59 pm »

Were they JPEG or RAW?

If they were JPEG then the issue may be that your JPEG setting is too small or otherwise compressed.  For example if the JPEG size is set to small, meduim, etc. or detail settings are low.

If RAW then possibly the output setting of the converter is set to too small of a TIFF/JPEG.

What are the pixel dimensions of the file you are trying to print?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187774\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's raw file.  The dimensions are 4288x2848. cropped 2743x1840.
I've since been able to minimize the effect by backing off on the sharpening.  
Trying to print to SuperA3 results in 12x18 = 152ppi, but I could also see it on 8.5 x 11 at a higher native resolution.

walter.sk

Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:52:20 am »

It's raw file.  The dimensions are 4288x2848. cropped 2743x1840.
I've since been able to minimize the effect by backing off on the sharpening. 
Trying to print to SuperA3 results in 12x18 = 152ppi, but I could also see it on 8.5 x 11 at a higher native resolution.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187776\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's quite a degree of cropping, from roughly 12 megapixels down to 5MP.  At 152 ppi, a fairly low resolution, I'm not surprised you get pixelization on the diagonals in a 12x18 print.  You could downsize with Bicubic Smoother rather than Adobe's recommendation of using Bicubic Sharper, to soften the effect, and then to bring back some sharpness with USM.  Also, try avoiding sharpening in the RAW conversion, if you haven't already done that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:55:43 am by walter.sk »

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:18:22 am »

Try this command-line tool: sizimg - resize an image with anti-aliasing
http://www.realitypixels.com/products/sizimg.html

duraace

Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:42 am »

That's quite a degree of cropping, from roughly 12 megapixels down to 5MP.  At 152 ppi, a fairly low resolution, I'm not surprised you get pixelization on the diagonals in a 12x18 print.  You could downsize with Bicubic Smoother rather than Adobe's recommendation of using Bicubic Sharper, to soften the effect, and then to bring back some sharpness with USM.  Also, try avoiding sharpening in the RAW conversion, if you haven't already done that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent. Thanks.  I'll give that a try and let you know.

duraace

Diagonal line 'jaggies'
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 03:09:05 pm »

You're right.  The amount of crop induced the problem.  I managed to lessen the effect in CS3.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up