Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advices for choosing a MF camera  (Read 8146 times)

jimk

Advices for choosing a MF camera
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 01:29:52 pm »

the mami rb is all mechanichal the body brand new is 799 dollars
you can get good scans from an epson v700 scanner and really nice scans it cost roughly 500 dollars new

the mamiya 7 is a rangefinder really nice too think leica on growth hormones

both the rb and the mami 7 are leaf shutters  mamiya 7 is a lot lighter than the other 6x7

Hello to all!

I am new to this forum, I greet you all!

I am extremely interested in acquiring a MF camera. In my highschool I used a Seagull, but the quality was so poor, then some metalic just broke.

I never heard in that period of names as Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Mamiya etc. I heard instead of Kiev, Zenit. My dream at that time was a Zenit.

In the last time of my life I rediscovered my passion from that time and bought a D80. Good enough for me as digital thing.

My inner world is more contemplative, I do not like to take many photographs, edit in PS or NX, then print.

Instead, I love to see first the landscape or that scene, to filter all in my being, and only then, IF I feel something, I photo.

Sincerely I think that a MF camera is very fit for me. I dare to step into this forum, hoping that you will not judge my ignorance, I want to learn. In my technical knowledge I have gaps, therefore I must learn.

Ok, I will tell you about what I would want. Perhaps I do not know many, therefore I am open.

My question is: What MF camera do you advise me to buy, together with what accesories?

The premises are:

1. My budget is of max. 1500$ for all. It is clear I must buy an used system.

2. I do not care for the heavy of the camera or its tripod. I have two legs and arms and do not bother too much with a heavier but FINE system.

3. I am focused on 6x6 or 6x7 size. What about 6x9? Of course, the size will be related to the kind of camera.

4. People! Do you know what is a canvas? I saw online some BW MF photographs and the quality is so so good and beautiful. Amazing tones. Well, my weakness is BW photography. How to say? A BW photograph transcends in my being the time, it is a step to an eternity.

5. I would like something performant. How to say?.........Good also after 30 years!

6. I do not worry for the cost of the films, scanning, enlargements etc. I have no breakeven. It is a passion.......

7. For the light. I prefer to take 10 or 20 photographs in an entire year. Even ONE. But good.

8. I would like to scan the negatives. I could just print the digital files or to enlarge the negative frames.

9. I want to buy also a true fine scanner. No toys. I want excellence.

10. Any work of mine will be free as the light is. I will offer for free prints to my friends and I will post online.

Ok, I hope I did not bore you too much. Hoping in your benevolence, I simply ask help for choosing, advice. I would appreciate any info/advice/suggestion and details related to any model of MF camera.

Now I know that exist brands as Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Mamyia, Bronica, Pentax, with many models.

Thank you in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Plekto

Advices for choosing a MF camera
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 05:31:39 pm »

-snip-

I will not disagree with you, but that statement is a little like saying " a Rolls Royce is a better car than a Lincoln or a Caddy".  We should point out that the C330 is still a damn fine camera.  On the other end of the scale, I used to use a twin lens Yashica, and it  was a suprizingly good camera, for what it was.

The Rollei will be a good choice, and I am not sure about other areas around the world, but in my neck of the woods, Ive seen good, clean, used C330s go for less than half the price of a similar condition Rollei, thus my suggestion
joe
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Heh.  True.  But is he's willing to spend $500+ on a used TLR, he might as well get the best that he can.     Rollei I know a little bit about..    

[a href=\"http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/index.shtml]http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/index.shtml[/url]
Best resource I know of on Rollei TLRs.  The Rolleicord Vb was the last model and the one I had.  Basically identical to the 3.5 other than the swappable lenses.  Easily affordable.  The 2.8GX has a meterins system and all the modern goodies.  But they are more geared towards collectors with limited runs.  Rollei stopped making large numbers of TLRs in the 70s, so anything newer is essentially like buying a limited edition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolleiflex
This gives some information as well.

http://www.sl66.com/
Though, honestly, I'd consider upgrading to a more modern camera with truly interchangeable lenses.  This is also a great resource page - lots of links.

I've used a SL66 a few times in the past and it's worlds better than the TLRs.  Built like a professional grade work of art.  You still see them around from time to time.

Why is this the best option?  Because it won't accept digital backs, and as such, it doesn't hold its value among current professionals.  The optics and accessories are also much less expensive.

These all have interchangeable backs, tons of screen and flash options, (I recommend the prism viewfinder if you can find it) , some have automatic metering and so on.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:41:31 pm by Plekto »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up