Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing JPEGs  (Read 2764 times)

delytphoto

Importing JPEGs
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:21:22 pm »

Hello!  I have a bunch of JPEGs from before I began shooting in RAW, and want to import them to LR.  Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?  If so, what do you recommend as the most efficient conversion process?
Thanks!
David

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Importing JPEGs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »

Hello!  I have a bunch of JPEGs from before I began shooting in RAW, and want to import them to LR.  Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?  If so, what do you recommend as the most efficient conversion process?
Thanks!
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tut tut - I hope you have now found the 'RAW' button    

As far as I am aware there is no advantage to converting the jpegs to Tiff since the 'cake is baked' as it were.

However - LR is non destructive to jpegs - so you can make metadata edits to them in LR without damaging the pixels further.

If you need to export them post LR edits - then I would export according to your needs - i.e. jpeg for web and email and Tiff if headed to CS3 for extensive pixel editing.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

santa

Importing JPEGs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:32:43 am »

Hello!  I have a bunch of JPEGs from before I began shooting in RAW, and want to import them to LR.  Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?  If so, what do you recommend as the most efficient conversion process?
Thanks!
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The first response covered most of it. Be sure to lock the files on your HD so you won't change the originals. You don't want to alter the originals and that is a danger for jpgs if you aren't careful.

Panopeeper

Importing JPEGs
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:07:10 pm »

Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?

If you will process such JPEG images *in several steps*, then it is resonable to do that in TIFF.

Example:

1. before stitching frames to a panorama, one may need to adjust the original frames;

2. the warping process itself;

3. blending teh warped frames;

4. post processing of the stitched pano;

5. at a later point: resizing for some presentation and sharpening

If you do these five steps in JPEG, the quality degradation associated with the JPEG encoding occurs five times.
Gabor

delytphoto

Importing JPEGs
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 06:45:54 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up