Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2 Beta Available  (Read 27844 times)

PECourtejoie

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 11:04:14 am »

Could a moderator check that potato1 is not posting an image ripped from Ian Lyon's tutorial? this was the case at DPreview with a user of the same nickname. Thanks.

John Camp

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 11:52:28 am »

Any estimates or guesses on how long this will be in beta before final release as 2.0?

theophilus

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 12:16:40 pm »

If this is it for the feature set I don't know if I will upgrade (depends on the price).  I need soft-proofing and to lesser extent noise reduction.  If I'm going to Photoshop anyway for those things I might as well do my local corrections there.  It's really frustrating to have to make a TIFF just for soft-proofing.

I'm guessing there will be a new Photoshop out this fall as well so that might get my money instead (still on CS2).  

I will be watching closely for reviews on the new output sharpening though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:17:58 pm by theophilus »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 12:44:30 pm »

It's 1/2 of what I needed.  CS3 will still need to be in my workflow, so it's not a very good update for me.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 01:02:31 pm »

I am recommending a million man march on Adobe's corporate headquarters to demand it.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't be too angry. I was too when I found out. But I really want to see this done RIGHT. Do they provide soft proof in Develop? And if so, do you see it (and can you control it) in Print module? Or should you have limited develop for soft proof IN Print? Would the settings be only print specific and if so, would you want to have a history (of course). Or do we need a soft proof module? IOW,
Adobe could have just popped some (lame) Photoshop like soft proofing into the mix and that toothpaste would be out of the tube. I'd rather see the LR team really do a slick and useful job in the next version. Its not an easy task (soft proofing in Photoshop could be lot better in terms of ease of use and compare functionality). So, while we don't have soft proofing, lets encourage the LR team to build the functionality that far exceeds what we are currently using in Photoshop.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Dennishh

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 03:50:51 pm »

Nick,
Where do you see Photomerge?
Thanks
Dennis

michael

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 04:55:27 pm »

Andrew,

I'd settle for a small soft proof preview similar to the one in CS3 Print, so I can make a quick decision on whether to use RelCol or Perceptual.

I'm not that hard to please.

Michael

dilip

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 04:57:56 pm »

Yes, the new output sharpening is based on Photokit Sharpener and is the result of a collaboration between Jeff Schewe and the Lightroom enginners.

No, there is no softproofing yet!   

I am recommending a million man march on Adobe's corporate headquarters to demand it.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps, as a concession to the likelihood of mass laziness, we could simply photoshop our faces into a march on Adobe...

Local changes are nice, but if I have to do the round trip to Photoshop, I might as well do them there.

dilip

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 04:59:52 pm »

Don't be too angry. I was too when I found out. But I really want to see this done RIGHT. Do they provide soft proof in Develop? And if so, do you see it (and can you control it) in Print module? Or should you have limited develop for soft proof IN Print? Would the settings be only print specific and if so, would you want to have a history (of course). Or do we need a soft proof module? IOW,
Adobe could have just popped some (lame) Photoshop like soft proofing into the mix and that toothpaste would be out of the tube. I'd rather see the LR team really do a slick and useful job in the next version. Its not an easy task (soft proofing in Photoshop could be lot better in terms of ease of use and compare functionality). So, while we don't have soft proofing, lets encourage the LR team to build the functionality that far exceeds what we are currently using in Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In all honesty, they could have popped a lame version in to hold us over until it was done properly.  I would have been delighted to have a soft-proof capacity that limited the round trips to Photoshop.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 05:09:26 pm »

Any chance for one of those "smart selection tool"s to be added to the final release?  Would love to use that with the new local  enhancement choices we now have with the brushes in this current beta release.  (ie: I could select a whole sky with a click and drag of the cursor then alter the exposure of just the sky, for instance).  Eleanor Brown
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Marlyn

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 06:01:46 pm »

Lightroom 2.0 - 4 Hours later.

After spending the last several hours playing with the new 2.0 beta, I'm impressed with the changes to-date.   Its not perfect, and there are still some things missing that would be very useful (soft proofing anyone ?), however for MY workflow, the improvements have fixed a number of gotcha's with LR for me.  
I think its now viable to use as a Image management (DAMlite as it were) product for image reviewing, cataloging and workflow for my image library. (Your mileage may vary of course).

The big changes that I think make this possible, that I've tested so far
1. Dual Monitor support. Finally can have LR on one screen, and the full screen preview on another.

2.  30,000 pixel size limit.  This was a big boost, as previously with panoramas and scanned 4x5, it failed dismally for including these images in the library.  New one works just fine.

3.  Open in Photoshop for Photomerge, HDR and Smart Object. !   This is an excellent improvement, as is not requiring it to be saved as a Tiff first, (and saved someplace I didn't want it).  I am hoping this is enough to give Bridge the flick for image review and processing.

If they support some of the other PS integration, such as image processor, or scripting, that will be even better, but this is a great start.
   (Wishlist:  Ability to script similar exports to other tools, like say, ptGui direct from the library).

4. Annoyance. I liked the old meta-data browser, specifically locations listed as a hierarchy. Shame thats gone.  Can't see any way to reproduce that with the filters in the same way.
I don't print from Lightroom (yet), and roundtrip everything to PS CS3 still, however that could change.  I like the new sharpening, and local adjustments. Hopefully this is the sign of things to come in the next CS as well.   Looking forward to any other features they add prior to release, and in future versions, but so far, its looking really good.  Thumbs up to the devs.

Caveat: Yes, I know its not perfect, there are MANY things that we all want, but I believe it’s a great step forward, and for me at least, looks like its now viable to use full time now.

Tomorrow my 8gb Vista 64 box arrives, so that will be a real test, and nice timing by adobe to release a 64bit app.   With the usual caution of a beta product (i.e. Backups !), I think I'll be importing my entire library into LR2 on the weekend, on Vista 64, and see what happens.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:05:11 pm by Marlyn »

Ian Lyons

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 06:03:40 pm »

Could a moderator check that potato1 is not posting an image ripped from Ian Lyon's tutorial? this was the case at DPreview with a user of the same nickname. Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186410\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pierre,

The page is now a dead link and the same post he posted to DP Review  has been removed by the sysop over there.

BTW, thanks to all who contacted me to let me know that my work was being ripped off, I appreciate you taking the time to drop me a note.

Ian

Dennishh

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 10:30:27 pm »

Thanks Mark. I just imported 10,000 images in 50 minutes, no crashes. Vista 64, 16 gigs of ram, 2 Zeon processors. This 64bit seems very stable.
Dennis

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 11:48:03 pm »

Andrew,

I'd settle for a small soft proof preview similar to the one in CS3 Print, so I can make a quick decision on whether to use RelCol or Perceptual.

I'm not that hard to please.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We need the paper simulation, otherwise just picking an intent isn't that big a deal (9 times out of ten, RelCol works for me, based on the profile package I use). With the simulation, we've got UI issues in Photoshop, a kludge of a means to show a before and after and so forth. Yes, Photoshop is far better than no soft proof but its far from the best solution. I hope that's something that is addressed properly (along with a way to save output specific edits in history) in LR.

Its not that difficult to setup a small low rez export to your encoding color space of choice and a droplet with that to open and view just to observe which rendering intent to use in PS, then go into LR to set it for print. The full soft proof and editing experience needs a lot more.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 06:27:48 am »

Nick,
Where do you see Photomerge?
Thanks
Dennis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Select two or more images, right click and choose the Edit in Photoshop flyout. If you have CS3 10.01 you will see some more options.

It's just like Tools/Photoshop/Photomerge in Bridge2. No batching though.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 07:16:06 am »

We need the paper simulation, otherwise just picking an intent isn't that big a deal (9 times out of ten, RelCol works for me, based on the profile package I use). With the simulation, we've got UI issues in Photoshop, a kludge of a means to show a before and after and so forth. Yes, Photoshop is far better than no soft proof but its far from the best solution. I hope that's something that is addressed properly (along with a way to save output specific edits in history) in LR.

Its not that difficult to setup a small low rez export to your encoding color space of choice and a droplet with that to open and view just to observe which rendering intent to use in PS, then go into LR to set it for print. The full soft proof and editing experience needs a lot more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew - you are of course correct that we need the paper simulation as well as the rendering intent [and I am more than sure Michael meant to include it when he refered to soft proofing]. We also ideally need a before and after preview so we can adjust the preview to match the before [ala the Jeff Schewe approach in the Luminous Landscape FCtoP tutorial].

Surely this is not hard to do in LR - given the before and after is already a built in capability in LR.  And.. rendering intents are already part of the print module. I would have thought this would be far easier to add than the local correction capability [which is just way uber cool] that is now in V2. Beta.

It just seems to me a no brainer to put soft proofing into LR - and totally up front and honestly I am REALLY surprised local correction has found its way into LR before soft proofing. Seems like the tail is wagging the dog at Adobe at the moment. [pardon the intended pun with the best of intentions]

I really hope... Softproofing finds its way into the full V2 release.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:17:52 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Dennishh

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 08:05:29 am »

Works Great!
Thanks

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 08:13:09 am »

Surely this is not hard to do in LR - given the before and after is already a built in capability in LR. 
I really hope... Softproofing finds its way into the full V2 release.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nothing from the outside "seems hard". There's far more to all this than just setting up a before and after. There's more than this than "copy and pasting" some code from Photoshop. And no, you're not going to see soft proofing in Version 2 so let's all get over it and think about how it could be done in such a way that we all say "wow" like the other functionality that was unique in terms of design seen from the LR team in the past.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 11:06:02 am »

Could soft proofing be done as a plug-in?

Mosccol

LR 2 Beta Available
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 06:45:41 pm »

You can export from the Print module to JPEG if that's what you mean.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186365\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not really. What I meant is that for those of us who shoot a mix of RAW and jpgs, LR does not re-export your jpgs untouched if you want to export a whole bunch of pictures to the web for example. It typicaly creates new jpgs which are about twice the size of the originals! This prevents a simple LR based workflow. A of 1.3 there was no workaround outside selective exporting and then moving around unmodified pics. It appears that this has not been addreesed in 2.0 beta...
Canon 7 & L Glass + iPhone 6 ... Where n
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up