Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cambo Wide RS Shift Camera  (Read 35150 times)

schaubild

New Cambo Wide RS Shift Camera
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

I'm not so sure if you can compare the Max and the RS so easily.

At the first look maybe similar concepts, but when you go into the details, these cameras are quite different beasts.

The Alpa is heavier, bigger and more solidly built. Like on the XY all rails are integrated in the camera housing.

The shift rails on the Cambo move outside of the camera outline, which shortens the mounting base when shifting. Some of the Rodenstock HR lenses are quite heavy, combined with a digital back this could become problematic. It has to be seen if this has any impact on the stability and precision and therefore achievable image quality. That the shift rails are mounted stacked on the back could be a possible source of problems too, imprecisions would add up?

Comparisons based on weight don't seem a feasible method to imply on a camera's qualities. You wouldn't do such a comparison betwween a Schneider Digitar 24mm (305gr) and the Rodenstock HR 28mm (876gr), wouldn't you?
Some cameras can be too small and/or light too. Figures don't tell everything, what counts is the end result.

Both cameras are prototypes now, both will be released to the public in a few months. Then will be the time to really find out if a direct comparison makes sense at all.

Just my 5 cents.

jonstewart

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 05:38:17 am »

jonstewart and bryanyc,

Are either of you able to confirm the nature of the shift controls used on the new Cambo Wide RS?

Thank you.

Joe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry Joe,
It's been too long now, and I can't remember...that's old age for you!  
Jon
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

pindman

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 01:51:06 am »

Any word about when this will appear?  Is it vaporwear or for real?

jonstewart

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 03:11:32 am »

Any word about when this will appear?  Is it vaporwear or for real?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, a few of us played with the prototype in March, so I wouldn't imagine it should be much longer!
Jon Stewart

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:15 am »

Can someone describe how one will focus these cameras please?

Thanks,

Jerry

jonstewart

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 11:00:49 am »

Thanks,

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lenses would be on a helical mount, I would imagine. I think it uses the same mounts as the Wide DS.
Jon Stewart

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 01:48:41 am »

Thanks,

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196742\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The lenses tend to be in a helical mount. So it means you can:

a) Mount the camera on a tripod and either shoot hyperfocal, or set the lens to infinity, whichever is more appropriate.

Or, if shooting handhed in good light, then guess focus to approximate distance, then stop down as far as you can manage - e.g., avoid shooting wide open.

c) Set the camera on a tripod and use live video to focus critically if you can shoot tethered.

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 08:17:09 am »

Or, if shooting handhed in good light, then guess focus to approximate distance, then stop down as far as you can manage - e.g., avoid shooting wide open.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or use a laser rangefinder to measure the distance.  I use a Bosch unit that is a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes.  It is accurate to 1.5mm over a measuring range of 2 inches to 165 feet.  Very effective.

see: [a href=\"http://www.boschtools.com/PRODUCTS/TOOLS/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=DLR165K]http://www.boschtools.com/PRODUCTS/TOOLS/P...spx?pid=DLR165K[/url]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:19:00 am by Let Biogons be Biogons »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 12:30:59 pm »

I just wanted to show you some more images of the new RS that I received from Cambo.  I was told it would be shipping in July.  Here are a few other notes that I was told:

Technically, the height of the camera has changed slightly, but is still 165 mm including the removable tripod mounting block,
while the width including the black anodised handles as shown in the image is only 155 mm...

Movements go upto 20 mm left/ 20 mm  right  and 25 rise / 15 mm fall (lens towards CCD, where the CCD moves actually)

Interface plates for Hasselblad-V, Hasselblad-H, Mamiya 645AFd, Contax 645, Leaf AFi and Sinar HY6 compatible backs,
same range of lenses interchangeable with the WideDS of course, from 24 upto 120 mm, (24,28,35,45,47,55,60,70,72,80,90,100,120)
 with any other lens in between on request if possible.

The Wide RS body comes complete with handgrips, 4 spirit levels, accessory shoe on the top, removable tripod adapter, cable release,
(to be inserted through the handles either left or right - not visible in the images however).

Optional accessories include the WDS-580 viewfinder with masks, a universal ground glass (fitting to the interface mount) with CCD markings
and a set of wooden handgrips will follow also, as well as a lensplate with bayonet for the Leaf AFi/ Sinar HY6/ Rollei lenses..
[attachment=6683:attachment]

[attachment=6684:attachment]

[attachment=6685:attachment]

[attachment=6686:attachment]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta/ Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

clawery

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

I also found out about the geared movements from Cambo this morning. This is what they said:

The Wide RS uses advanced (accellerated) gearead movements to all sides.
The movements have detents every 5mm, (usefull when stitching) with clear scales in mm on the side and the top, but also movement indicators visible from the rear side.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 07:32:45 am »

thanks for the info...any ideas about the pricing?

clawery

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 08:10:06 am »

thanks for the info...any ideas about the pricing?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Depending on how the dollar does, the pricing will be approx. 2300 Euros (which translates into 3500 US $) for a complete body with an interface plate (excl viewfinder). A complete camera with a 35XL Schneider lens will end up around 5000 Euros ( 7500 US$).

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National   Atlanta/Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

BJNY

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 08:48:47 am »

Terrific to have more choices.
First the Alpa Max, and now the Cambo RS, both optimized for quick stitching.
I can only wonder if Sinar has something up their sleeve for Photokina,
since they started this category with their Handy.

Others to watch: Arca-Swiss, Gottschalt, Horseman, Linhof, Silvestri.

Also what's interesting
is that both Alpa & Cambo have announced lensplates for Rollei-mount lenses to be used
[will require Rollei LensControl S paddle].
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:00:49 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 09:12:31 am »

Continue to wonder, Billy!

No more that long to wait, indeed.

Best regards,
Thierry

I can only wonder if Sinar has something up their sleeve for Photokina,
since they started this category with their Handy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 01:35:12 pm »

I just can't wait for some chinese knock off that works at 75% of the performance at 25% of the price. $7500 USD for basic set up seems quite out of this world, but then again Alpa seems to be doing well at this sort of price point.

Guess I would like to take a quote from the other thread, with some slight modification. "The performance is the same, but at a higher price you command more respect."

bryanyc

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 08:33:43 pm »

Depending on how the dollar does, the pricing will be approx. 2300 Euros (which translates into 3500 US $) for a complete body with an interface plate (excl viewfinder). A complete camera with a 35XL Schneider lens will end up around 5000 Euros ( 7500 US$).

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National   Atlanta/Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should look into some chinese lenses then, they are half the price of the camera.  Not sure the chinese are making digital medium format lenses though  

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 03:21:02 am »

I'm not so sure if you can compare the Max and the RS so easily.

At the first look maybe similar concepts, but when you go into the details, these cameras are quite different beasts.

The Alpa is heavier, bigger and more solidly built. Like on the XY all rails are integrated in the camera housing.

The shift rails on the Cambo move outside of the camera outline, which shortens the mounting base when shifting. Some of the Rodenstock HR lenses are quite heavy, combined with a digital back this could become problematic. It has to be seen if this has any impact on the stability and precision and therefore achievable image quality. That the shift rails are mounted stacked on the back could be a possible source of problems too, imprecisions would add up?

Comparisons based on weight don't seem a feasible method to imply on a camera's qualities. You wouldn't do such a comparison betwween a Schneider Digitar 24mm (305gr) and the Rodenstock HR 28mm (876gr), wouldn't you?
Some cameras can be too small and/or light too. Figures don't tell everything, what counts is the end result.

Both cameras are prototypes now, both will be released to the public in a few months. Then will be the time to really find out if a direct comparison makes sense at all.

Just my 5 cents.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

schaubild

I agree with your observations about the Max and the RS, they are different beasts. Not having used an Alpa, I have always admired the simplicity and beauty of the Alpa SWA.

The Cambo RS has more similarities to the Horseman digital body with regards to size and performance...........it is a small technical camera with selflocking geared movements (Horseman had a friction with lock movement)
Like you, I was concerned about the small size and its ramifications with regard to precision.
After having used a preproduction RS for the last couple of months, I see no difference between
the RS and its sibling the CamboWide DS......... both cameras are precise enough for making photographs.

In addition to being a  smaller sized camera, the RS has both the rise/fall and shift movements consolidated on one rear moving panel that holds the sensor or ground glass........if you do multirow stitches the vanishing point is held constant since the lens panel is fixed ( this feature of the consolidated movements may or may not be critical depending on your choice of stitching softwares).

The geared movements are selflocking and do not drift or move unless you touch the control mechanism. It is a nicely designed and manufactured camera..........the handles and the body
are anodized aluminum.

All the lens panels are interchangeable between the DS and the RS......
because of the condensed size, the RS has two levers instead of one to hold/release the lens panel.

It is a very straight forward and robust design that will allow you to work efficiently under many different shooting environments. I particularly like the lens guards which allow you to put the camera down securely as well as pack it in a back pack or soft case.

The only optional accessories you might want to purchase: view finder for quick rough composing or handheld shootings, and a groundglass & focusing hood for  critical composing. You simply specify the mounting interface plate (I think it is included with the camera) and you are ready to shoot.

The integration of the AFI/Hy6 lenses and the Hy6 rotating adapter are interesting as well.

The only thing that is on my wish list is a technical camera with a sliding back to make composing and shooting a more fluid process

regards
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:11:23 am by Prakash Patel »

adammork

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 03:45:43 am »

I just can't wait for some chinese knock off that works at 75% of the performance at 25% of the price. $7500 USD for basic set up seems quite out of this world, but then again Alpa seems to be doing well at this sort of price point.

Guess I would like to take a quote from the other thread, with some slight modification. "The performance is the same, but at a higher price you command more respect."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you ever worked with an Alpa??

Yes, they are expensive - but there "performance" IMO are worth every cent.... they don´t need a high price point for getting my respect, they get it from the pleasure and joy of daily use.

The whole system is nothing less than outstanding - at least for architectural photography.

/adam

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 03:57:31 am »

I have to agree with Adam,
Alpa is the system for the Pros.
Who cares if the Alpa Max body is $6K?

It will outlast me + I can sell it for a similar price.

Unlike my DB
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

clawery

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 10:48:42 am »

Lenses would be on a helical mount, I would imagine. I think it uses the same mounts as the Wide DS.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The family of Cambo Wide cameras (WideCompact, Wide RS and Wide DS) share the same interchangeable lenspanels, so customers can upgrade from WideDS to WideRS, or have 2 bodies using simultaneously. The Wide RS is dedicated to digital platform, where the WideDS also has an analog platform based on 4x5”. Those users can not use their analog lenssystems on the Wide RS without modifying it for digital use.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up