Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 39mpx and CPU Power  (Read 9546 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
39mpx and CPU Power
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 08:16:47 am »

Mine cannot with my CF39. It simply is too busy getting the RAW's in. I am using a MBP15/2.4Ghz/2Gb. Core duo so it is a bit older (no Core2duo).

BJNY

39mpx and CPU Power
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 08:17:09 am »

You'd be able to check focus, BUT it would be frustratingly slower. Compared to a Mac Pro with higher bus speed (1.33 GHz vs. 800MHz) and more CPUs and more RAM.

An analogy would be:
Turn on your sink faucet full blast (non-stop captures streaming in).  Now, stick you finger every now and then interrupting the flow.  Get it?

It happens to be a world of difference, and why people haul heavy Mac Pros on location instead of using a laptop or iMac (which uses laptop motherboard and CPU).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:06:15 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

BJNY

39mpx and CPU Power
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 08:31:04 am »

This brings up another question:
Let's say you make 60 consecutive captures non-stop tethered....As the RAWs are still streaming in, someone yanks out the firewire cable.  What happens to the captures not yet arrived into the computer?  Do they come in once you reconnect the cable, or are they lost forever?  This is where Leaf and Sinar MAY have an advantage with their large buffers.  Can anyone clarify?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:02:22 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
39mpx and CPU Power
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 09:08:48 am »

I am not so sure about that. Maybe Leaf & Sinar have the upper hand here over my Hasselblad but I am not so sure. The Sinar has this big solid state memory internally but is it also used as buffer? (Thierry?).

I have had the occasional cable coming out of the Hasselblad. Putting it back in the images that were on their way continued to come in.

I have never dared making a long serie, yank out the cable and putting it back in on purpose though.  So I cannot be completely sure there will be no losses at all. The cable in the Hasselblad is placed in such a ridiculous place I tend to be quite careful. I wonder when the hooked connector will be there or when they will place the connector on the bottom of the back. No, you can ruin the backs connector when you trip over your cable but you definitely molest at least 2 cables per year (I used the same cable with my Leaf for over 4 years!).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:11:16 am by Dustbak »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up