Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hail storm  (Read 1757 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Hail storm
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:12 am »

Last evening we were having some rain, lightning, and thunder when all of a sudden a terrific hail storm started. We had huge waves of grape-sized hail for about 3 minutes. It was quite an experience, particularly in our metal-roofed sunroom where the hail sounded like machine guns. Nature sure can surprise you.

Rob C

Re: Hail storm
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:12:26 pm »

Welcome to Mallorca. I haven't owned a single car here that has not been damaged a few times by hail: golf balls. Perhaps global warming will change that now... not sure which way, though.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:12:00 pm »

You should have asked Trump to hold it, the hail would look much bigger ;D

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:31:52 pm »

Welcome to Mallorca. I haven't owned a single car here that has not been damaged a few times by hail: golf balls. Perhaps global warming will change that now... not sure which way, though.

Rob C

I don't believe that global warming cause that kind of storms. I can still remember a hail storm in Munich in 1984 when tennis ball sized hail grains caused the most expensive insurance case in Germany's history. For several years one could buy totally dented upper class cars for few money.
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:37:22 pm »

I don't believe that global warming cause that kind of storms. I can still remember a hail storm in Munich in 1984 when tennis ball sized hail grains caused the most expensive insurance case in Germany's history. For several years one could buy totally dented upper class cars for few money.

Hold your horses: global warming didn't start on the 2nd of July 2012 at 15.03 hrs precisely... it's been going on for decades if not longer. I think we could honestly start with blaming the Industrial Revolution. I can remember, as an apprentice, pushing a bicycle the five or six miles from the factory where I worked to where I lived. You couldn't see anything quickly enough beyond walking speed. Other times, when I was older, I remember driving home from Glasgow, just as blinded, by following the tramlines over the cobbles. I knew where they branched off and it was simple, if nerve-wracking. (No, that wasn't during the Industrial Revolution. ;-) )

Rob C

Harald L

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:32:29 pm »

You may be right. Don't get me wrong, I'm not deny the greenhouse effect. Perhaps the Buddenbrooks were victims of global warming when a hailstorm destroyed their crops and accelerated their economic decline;-)
Glad to be an amateur

degrub

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:25:27 pm »

We had visited the botanical gardens at Nymphenburg the day before the storm hit. What a mess it made of the glass houses. I was glad to see them again intact when i last visited a few years ago.

Climate change will definately change the weather, but who can say which way for a specific location.

Frank

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up