Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 system questions  (Read 4980 times)

NikonMike

Mamiya 645 system questions
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:23:59 pm »

As many lurkers here I'm considering moving up to the medium format. For many reasons, Mamiya 645 appears to be a good entry-level choice that could grow in many possible directions as far as one's budget allows.

I'd like to know the following though:

1. How far does M645 film back/insert compatibility go? Are they the same for 645 Pro, AF, AFD and AFDII? What are the limitations, if any?

2. Mamiya offers factory upgrades of AF and AFD models to AFDII level. How much are they (ballpark)? I know I could ask Mamiya but someone here may know...

3. Do you miss the waist-level finder option? I got one for my Nikon F4 and I used it very rarely, but with a nice big 645 finder it's more tempting.

Thanks for your time and insights, Michal

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:41:30 pm »

As many lurkers here I'm considering moving up to the medium format. For many reasons, Mamiya 645 appears to be a good entry-level choice that could grow in many possible directions as far as one's budget allows.

1. How far does M645 film back/insert compatibility go? Are they the same for 645 Pro, AF, AFD and AFDII? What are the limitations, if any?

I don't think that the film backs are interchangeable with the Pro and AFD but digital backs do not work on the Pro. there is more backward compatibility with the 6x7 mamiya formats like the RZ and even RB

2. Mamiya offers factory upgrades of AF and AFD models to AFDII level. How much are they (ballpark)? I know I could ask Mamiya but someone here may know...

AFD and AFD II are the same just with small details like faster AF and 1/2 speed stops. But there is no problem whatsoever with the backs. The AF I am not sure, so I would go for the AFD.

3. Do you miss the waist-level finder option? I got one for my Nikon F4 and I used it very rarely, but with a nice big 645 finder it's more tempting.

I like the fact that the body is solid and compact. The other day I hit an overhead beam when changing angles and moving the camera mounted to my tripod. There are less issues with electronic connections and you can change the focusing screen, so for me this way is better, but others may think differently.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you should wait 2 weeks until the new Phase One 645 AF comes out to see how things will change for Mamiya in the future...
[font=Comic Sa

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:46:48 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1. Film Back and Insert conmpatibility for 645 AFD II goes back to 645 AF.  Previous models, 645 Pro, 645 1000S, M645, etc. backs and inserts are not compatible with AF-AFD II.

2. AF can be upgraded to AFD (around $500, I think. Check  [a href=\"http://www.macgroupus.com/index.asp]http://www.macgroupus.com/index.asp[/url] for US pricing). Upgrade from AFD to AFD II is not offered.

3. Infrequently I miss the waist level finder for low angle shots when prone shootong is difficult. When needed, I use Mamiya's right angle finder on my AFD.

Hope the info will help in your decision.
Jack Varney

NikonMike

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:17 am »

Thanks to all for answers and ideas!

I'll certainly wait for more details on the "semi-announced" AFDIII/P1 model. With full AF film kits going for some $500 on eBay, I'm wondering if the new model can still "flatten" the used prices? Not that I think they aren't low enough...

Michal
Pages: [1]   Go Up