Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cambo x2-pro with canon 1ds mk3  (Read 5972 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
cambo x2-pro with canon 1ds mk3
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:53:49 am »

just had a chance to try out the cambo x2-pro with my canon 1dsmk3.

the lenses i was supplied with are the 28 digitar f2,8 and the apo digitar 90mm/f4.5.
i tested that against teh 90mm ts/e and the 17-40L @28mm. as there is no canon 28mm ts/e and teh 24 is so much wider i chose that lens.

the whole thing is a bit of a weird concoction, the movem ants are not too smoot, but once everything is in place it is rather easy to work with and that thing is heavy! i used a very big tripod with a geared head, which is mandatory in my opinion.

my results: the 28 digitar is as bad as its reputation, the 17-40 is a much better lens, at any f-stop. the digitars image circle is rather small, so there is not so much shifting around. probably it is not the lens restricting this, but rather the lens mount. this lens/x2-pro combination is a definitely no-go for me.

Different findings with the 90mm lenses: the schneider is much better, more contrast, more resolution, less CA at larger apertures, only stopped down a lot diffraction kicks in quite heavily. the ts/e lens is very good, but  not as good as the schneider, and even at f32 you get usable results.

my x2-pro conclusion: looks cool, very technical, but is not for the field. as the 28 is the only wideangle lens that works with it and i find that lens very weak, i wouldn't recommend it.
but for studio still life it is a decent solution, but definitely a 100% tripod camera. no way in the world can you use that hand held.

The movements you get with it are quite impressive, though due to mirror restrictions they are hard to controll with the viewfinder. (in comes live view!)

I'll pass on that, i have to find an easier way to mount the 90mm digitar to my canon (Zoerk?)
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
cambo x2-pro with canon 1ds mk3
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:51:35 pm »

just had a chance to try out the cambo x2-pro with my canon 1dsmk3.

the lenses i was supplied with are the 28 digitar f2,8 and the apo digitar 90mm/f4.5.
i tested that against teh 90mm ts/e and the 17-40L @28mm. as there is no canon 28mm ts/e and teh 24 is so much wider i chose that lens.

the whole thing is a bit of a weird concoction, the movem ants are not too smoot, but once everything is in place it is rather easy to work with and that thing is heavy! i used a very big tripod with a geared head, which is mandatory in my opinion.
my results: the 28 digitar is as bad as its reputation, the 17-40 is a much better lens, at any f-stop. the digitars image circle is rather small, so there is not so much shifting around. probably it is not the lens restricting this, but rather the lens mount. this lens/x2-pro combination is a definitely no-go for me.

Different findings with the 90mm lenses: the schneider is much better, more contrast, more resolution, less CA at larger apertures, only stopped down a lot diffraction kicks in quite heavily. the ts/e lens is very good, but  not as good as the schneider, and even at f32 you get usable results.

my x2-pro conclusion: looks cool, very technical, but is not for the field. as the 28 is the only wideangle lens that works with it and i find that lens very weak, i wouldn't recommend it.
but for studio still life it is a decent solution, but definitely a 100% tripod camera. no way in the world can you use that hand held.

The movements you get with it are quite impressive, though due to mirror restrictions they are hard to controll with the viewfinder. (in comes live view!)

I'll pass on that, i have to find an easier way to mount the 90mm digitar to my canon (Zoerk?)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179046\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rmember you could get a lens that is wide on a large chip (65 is wide on 54)  and flatstitch some images together to get a high resoution, prefrect stitch by keeping the lens stil and moving the camera

I think the lenses that have a chance of focussing at infinity and not fouling the camera  are either the 47 or the 65,

Of course the 'chin' of the camera may interfere with the stitching options

Actually looking at the X2 pro I dont think this would be an option - but it could be with another view camera if you are trying to getg fantiastic quality with movements using a DSLR

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up