Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D300 timed shot  (Read 2583 times)

duraace

Nikon D300 timed shot
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:47:31 pm »

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong, but if I have the camera on a tripod and trigger a timed shot of me sitting in a chair a few feet way, it isn't focusing on me, but behind me when I triggered the shot.  Does this sound normal?  I've tried AF-C, AF-S, dynamic AF, etc.

walter.sk

Nikon D300 timed shot
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:31 am »

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong, but if I have the camera on a tripod and trigger a timed shot of me sitting in a chair a few feet way, it isn't focusing on me, but behind me when I triggered the shot.  Does this sound normal?  I've tried AF-C, AF-S, dynamic AF, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179426\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It would seem to me that the best results would be with using one AF sensor, and to have that aimed exactly at your eye.  The chance of error seems great.  Why not use manual focus and a small enough aperture to give some wiggle room?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nikon D300 timed shot
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:41 am »

Hopefully I'm doing something wrong, but if I have the camera on a tripod and trigger a timed shot of me sitting in a chair a few feet way, it isn't focusing on me, but behind me when I triggered the shot.  Does this sound normal?  I've tried AF-C, AF-S, dynamic AF, etc.

I have the solution to your problem.

Use S mode, but then use one of the options that enable the AF activation with AF-ON only. Thanks to this, pressing on the release button will not trigger the AF activation.

I'll send you my bank account information later so that you can pay me for this invaluable piece of advice.

Cheers,
Bernard

duraace

Nikon D300 timed shot
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:32:50 pm »

I have the solution to your problem.

Use S mode, but then use one of the options that enable the AF activation with AF-ON only. Thanks to this, pressing on the release button will not trigger the AF activation.

I'll send you my bank account information later so that you can pay me for this invaluable piece of advice.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No cigar unfortunately. :-)  The camera won't trigger the timed release unless the shot is in focus. Since I'm the one pressing the release and the subject of focus, I can't take the shot.  I think Walter's suggestion is the only one.  It seems the camera can't re-focus at the time of the 'timed release'.  The only other solution it seems is a remote trigger accessory.

OR ... did you mean to manual focus, then using AF-ON prevent shutter release from re-focusing??  Why not just use manual focus as Walter suggested?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:35:11 pm by duraace »

AndyF2

Nikon D300 timed shot
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 12:50:58 pm »

Interesting; I just tried this on my 400D.  Focusing occurs when the shutter release is first pressed, which is at the start of the delay (and when you aren't in the chair yet), not at the end of the delay.
Try it with Servo focus (or whatever it might be named on your camera).  It should follow you to the chair...
(extra note: I'm thinking it *might* follow you, haven't actually tried that.  Put something in the chair for it to focus on.)
Andy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:52:29 pm by AndyF2 »

duraace

Nikon D300 timed shot
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:24:33 pm »

Interesting; I just tried this on my 400D.  Focusing occurs when the shutter release is first pressed, which is at the start of the delay (and when you aren't in the chair yet), not at the end of the delay.
Try it with Servo focus (or whatever it might be named on your camera).  It should follow you to the chair...
(extra note: I'm thinking it *might* follow you, haven't actually tried that.  Put something in the chair for it to focus on.)
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I tried that.  It doesn't.  I think a remote release is the only way to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up