Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Swimwear Shoot with Hasselblad H3D II  (Read 60767 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Swimwear Shoot with Hasselblad H3D II
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2008, 03:36:38 am »

That's a nice explanation and I agree with it. I only meant that the aboriginal peoples lives were very different in colonial days compared to the descendants of aboriginal people, especially as time flows along and all people, European included, become more homogenized and less homogeneous. We have no idea how it must have been for those original people to be conquered as they were. That's all I meant really. I mean I live in the United States and we have the same history with our "Indians." But I agree that the damage done lingers still today in many ways for the descendants of original people who suffered colonialism.

So I see your point for sure.

Thanks Doug for sharing your perception.

There is a lot of history associated with the word aboriginal here in Australia. The word in it self is just a definition as you described for 'first or earliest known'.

You mentioned that the association of the word aboriginal is an insult, this saddens me   

To understand where this negative connotation was derived we must look back into historic colonial policies of this great wide land. At Edith Cowan University in 2003 I enrolled in the Photomedia Major where I studied a unit on the mechanics and effects of Colonialism. One of the major points for me was the formula the colonials used to inhabit a new continent. First the native peoples must be conquered systematically through a campaign of somatic warfare, the most effective form of  suppression was to take away their culture, language, traditions and sense of identity. A vanquished people are easier to manipulate, allowing free access to seize the land, its wealth and resources etc.

Unfortunately a lost, suppressed and broken people are susceptible victims of the lower socio economic class structure and face the debilitating effects of low self esteem and loss of self worth etc.

As an indigenous native of Aotearoa (the land of the long white cloud or New Zealand) I have an understanding of the process as my own people seek to restore their language, culture, values and more importantly their sense of self identity.

The negative association of the word aboriginal is a reflection of old colonial policies e.g. disempowering, marginalizing, silencing, subordinating, less than and so on.

With the prime ministers apology to the indigenous nation, the first great step in the healing process of the collective consciousness of the care takers of this great land I hope that finally the association of this word will expound a new meaning of pride and self worth.

As an artist/photographer I stand witness to a time of change in this country, there is opportunity to contribute to this movement through ones talents/abilities. I hope to shoot a Dreamtime Fashion editorial out in the The kimberlies in Western Australia infusing the ancient culture & stories of the indigenous peoples embodied in young Emily Cattermole's unique European/Australian and Aboriginal heritage. All I need now is the funding   

I honor Emily's heritage and wish her well on her personal and rising Fashion career   

A short youtube clip of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the indigenous nation http://youtube.com/watch?v=uERSO_9M75k&feature=related
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dwdallam

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2008, 03:40:00 am »

I have a question because I read the MF thread a lot, but I don't usually post, since I don't own one and they seem to be a completely different world. Still, I am drawn to MF, and maybe because I am shooting more people these days and less of other things, and MF is suppose to be "the thing" for people type photography of this sort.

So in a very simplified way, what would be the visual difference between these shots if they were taken side by side with a 1DS3 using the same type of lighting, given correct exposures for both cameras?

Thanks

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2008, 03:42:46 am »

Hmmm Capture1 another bit of clunky software by another image back company who cannot even make a Mac and a PC pro version with the same features.   

And even though you've used Flexcolur for several years Sean, you say you still constantly make errors. As I said before old fashioned and a badly designed interface, as if it wasn't, you wouldn't keeep making such basic mistakes.
Phocus is better, but things like no scrolling on the adjustments tab is simply amateurish.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still work with Flexcolor. It looks old, the GUI is not in fashion with what is currently commonplace. Some functionality has been implemented akwardly but it works. Without hickup and errors.

I like Flexcolor over Phocus at this moment. I find Phocus sluggish, error prone (but that is probably because I tried using it with my 384 which I shouldn't and se the CF39 instead). I probably need some more time with it and a couple of more updates.

Point is, I cannot have hickups, errors or other delaying stuff when I am working and having people looking over my shoulder.

This is also exactly why it took a long time before I switched from LC8 to LC10 when I still used Leaf.

Now if Phocus would be; faster, carry the promised firmware upgrades (ISO800/60sec exposure) and as stable as Flexcolor I would start to try it now and than during shoots where I work alone.

I don't make mistakes with Flexcolor even if I have only been using it for about a year now. To be frank I don't know why people are so negative about Flexcolor. Yes it misses some things I would like but it is dependable.

I am more upset about not being able to read native Hasselblad files in ACR or the fact I cannot generate DNG's with the chosen amount of DAC into the DNG file. This is effectively blocking my PS workflow or at least with the best possible quality of file.

How in heavens name did I get sofar OT?      

Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:47:33 am by Dustbak »

Streetshooter

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2008, 04:11:42 am »

"Still I do expect any day to open this section and find it's it's only occupied by dealers, reps, techs, and manufacturer point people."

I wholeheartedly agree on this sentiment. For anybody promoting or defending a particular brand it would inspire a bit more confidence if we knew where the posters were coming from. TechTalk and JoeSayer can we see your work, please ?

Best

Pete

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:39 am »

Thanks for this very interesting historical explanation of what was and is the meaning of "aboriginal".

Thierry

Addendum: and yes, I join my voice to the others for your outstanding shots.

There is a lot of history associated with the word aboriginal here in Australia. The word in it self is just a definition as you described for 'first or earliest known'.

A short youtube clip of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the indigenous nation http://youtube.com/watch?v=uERSO_9M75k&feature=related
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:18:01 am by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

josayeruk

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2008, 10:23:42 am »

"Still I do expect any day to open this section and find it's it's only occupied by dealers, reps, techs, and manufacturer point people."

I wholeheartedly agree on this sentiment. For anybody promoting or defending a particular brand it would inspire a bit more confidence if we knew where the posters were coming from. TechTalk and JoeSayer can we see your work, please ?

Best

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually no you can't.  I am new to the business with few clients and I doubt they would be happy if I posted commercial material.

If you wanna see pictures of my horses then you are more than welcome?  

If it becomes mandatory to do so then I will happily unregister.  I get enough spam as it is without leaving myself more open.

Okey dokey?

Jo S.x

PS And its Jo, not Joe.  Important difference.  

TMARK

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2008, 11:08:03 am »

Wow.  This was a nice place to take a break while running a batch but the snide bullshit ruins it for me.  Really.

jonstewart

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2008, 11:36:27 am »

Actually no you can't.  I am new to the business with few clients and I doubt they would be happy if I posted commercial material.

If it becomes mandatory to do so then I will happily unregister.  I get enough spam as it is without leaving myself more open.

Okey dokey?

Jo S.x

PS And its Jo, not Joe.  Important difference. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I feel I have to support Jo here, partly because I'm in a similar commercial position. It's always a cheap fallback to ask to see photos (sort of thing happens on dpreview!), and not consider the merits of the arguments being put forward, because that's too cognitively demanding.

I might disagree with Jo on a number of issues  but I respect her (?) right to put such issues and have considered opinions whether I agree with them or not.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:37:32 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 11:54:34 am »

Actually no you can't.  I am new to the business with few clients and I doubt they would be happy if I posted commercial material.

If it becomes mandatory to do so then I will happily unregister.  I get enough spam as it is without leaving myself more open.

Okey dokey?

Jo S.x

PS And its Jo, not Joe.  Important difference. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I'd be quite happy to see images of your horses, your dog, or the street in front of your house -  Not as an obligation but because it gives us a sense of the fact that what we do here in the end is making images.

I have systematically asked people who want my Phase profiles to send me images (under non-release). I have found that those who send the images are usually extremely interested in color quality and carefully evaluate the profiles, others are geerally a dead loss.

The "Recent Works" thread here is now at about 200 000 views, which shows that we are here as much for the art as for the tech stuff.

Edmund

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2008, 12:08:45 pm »

I have a question because I read the MF thread a lot, but I don't usually post, since I don't own one and they seem to be a completely different world. Still, I am drawn to MF, and maybe because I am shooting more people these days and less of other things, and MF is suppose to be "the thing" for people type photography of this sort.

So in a very simplified way, what would be the visual difference between these shots if they were taken side by side with a 1DS3 using the same type of lighting, given correct exposures for both cameras?

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To only speak to my work, not much difference, but that depends on the subject, the lens, the workflow, the expectations.

This is an approx. crop of the different formats

It would make you think that the difference in format size is 200% and in some instances, viewing one to one on a monitor you can lean back, light up a cigar and feel pretty good about your medium format purchase.

Then those moments pass and you have that day when you start viewing this as a client.   When you select for your website, an awards ceremony, a print showing, then you don't look 1 to 1 you look for "the shot".

At that point the shot is all that matters and just like a client , you probably won't care if the pants stitching has 25% more detail, but you will notice if you missed the smile, or didn't catch the emotion.

You also have to remember that medium format is not true medium format anymore.  It's at best close to a 645 frame which from the film days was the smallest of the medium formats though we are still working off legacy lens sizes which don't always translate well to cropped frames.

This would be different if the sensor sizes were 6x7 or even full frame 645 and the lenses were faster and more comprehensive.  F 2.0's, tilt shifts in all multiple formats would make the almost 645 digital formats more useable, but once again, we are still working from legacy film sizes, with new digital formats.

Where I see a difference in the "look" of medium format vs. a Canon dslr is less in the format and more in the overall sharpness from Canon's agressive AA filter.

The Leica M-8 has no filter and gives a sharper look, though not really a more detailed image if that makes any sense.

[a href=\"http://www.russellrutherford.com/final_leica.jpg]http://www.russellrutherford.com/final_leica.jpg[/url]

Still, that doesn't mean that medium format doesn't have a place as in my work the main reason I use it is for it's ability to tether, though overall in the final look of the photograph, there is not that much difference between a cropped 645 and a full frame 35mm.

Others will see this differently.

JR

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2008, 05:41:21 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:48:18 pm by rsmphoto »

josayeruk

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2008, 06:23:37 pm »

Actually, I'd be quite happy to see images of your horses, your dog, or the street in front of your house -  Not as an obligation but because it gives us a sense of the fact that what we do here in the end is making images.

I have systematically asked people who want my Phase profiles to send me images (under non-release). I have found that those who send the images are usually extremely interested in color quality and carefully evaluate the profiles, others are geerally a dead loss.

The "Recent Works" thread here is now at about 200 000 views, which shows that we are here as much for the art as for the tech stuff.

Edmund

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200580\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok!  Its a deal, Ill post up the boys at the weekend.  

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »

There are craftsmen and artists who, when faced with an unfamiliar tool, will take time, exercise patience, and learn how to get the most from any tool that is being used.
And there are those who quickly realise that some tools are not as good as others and will prefer to use the better tools.    

There are others who, when faced with an unfamiliar tool, will plunge ahead relying on their current knowledge and skill and if the tool doesn't function in the manner expected--they blame the designer of the tool for their frustration.
Quite correctly in the case of Hasselblad software IMO, esp. as there are other superior tools all ready on sale.   And being different is certainly not synonymous with being better.
The fact that Phocus lacks things as basic as scroll bars on the adjustments tab just shows how unnecessarily clumsy it is. But it is a version 1.0, so if they improve it like Adobe improved LR from 1.0, then there is hope, I didn't use LR for work until v1.3 as there were too many annoying faults within programme and it was a bit slow too.  

We have probably all met both of the above, but it is the later which lends credence to the old proverb "A poor workman blames his tools".
You are forgetting that some tools are simply not very good. Even for the 'good' workman. On a similar note, I hated QuarkXpress with a passion as it was so awful and very rarely improved, simply because there was no real competition. InDesign gave Quark a well needed kicking up the fundament and the new version [Q8]out soon seems so much better than Quark used to be, mainly as a result of a superior product arriving and capturing large parts of its market. More Quark point updates in the last 6 years than the previous 16!

I've read all of your previous posts on the Phocus 1.0 thread and the ones that you posted here in regard to Capture One, FlexColor and Phocus. I wish you the best of luck in your future attempts to use and evaluate the tools that you encounter and require. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Part of the problem in understanding Phocus, is that it behaves oddly, not better, oddly. Sorry for my not being dumb enough to realise that you have to import images that are already clearly visible in the programme, which is is anything but obvious or intuitive. A well designed programme shouldn't need very careful persual of the manual, in fact I seem to recall it doesn't even mention that you have to import images already on your machine and already visible in programme, which caught a few people out.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:18:09 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:17 pm »

I still work with Flexcolor. It looks old, the GUI is not in fashion with what is currently commonplace. Some functionality has been implemented akwardly but it works. Without hickup and errors.

I like Flexcolor over Phocus at this moment. I find Phocus sluggish, error prone (but that is probably because I tried using it with my 384 which I shouldn't and se the CF39 instead). I probably need some more time with it and a couple of more updates.

Point is, I cannot have hickups, errors or other delaying stuff when I am working and having people looking over my shoulder.

I don't make mistakes with Flexcolor even if I have only been using it for about a year now. To be frank I don't know why people are so negative about Flexcolor. Yes it misses some things I would like but it is dependable.
I dislike it as it is poorly designed. I resent the amount of time I have to spend at the computer and anything that decreases that time is good [take a bow Lightroom 1.3+] and  anything that sucks time deserves a good kicking.

I am more upset about not being able to read native Hasselblad files in ACR or the fact I cannot generate DNG's with the chosen amount of DAC into the DNG file. This is effectively blocking my PS workflow or at least with the best possible quality of file.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's my main caveat with Hasselbald/Phocus. If one could use DAC with say LR/ACR, then so much time could be saved and also hard drive space. Ending up with 3 RAW files per image is untidy, shall we say.
 Not even sure why Hasselblad even waste money developing free software that will always be lacking compared to say what Adobe produces. Give Adobe, Apple etc the Algorithms and use the money elsewhere.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dwdallam

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2008, 04:20:32 am »

To only speak to my work, not much difference, but that depends on the subject, the lens, the workflow, the expectations.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for that explanation. The image you offered just looks different to me than my 1DS3, but that may be processing too. It just looks like there is so much detail, like the detail your eye captures. It's as if there is so much detail it looks fake, because my mind says, "That's not a camera picture" because it's too "real." Interesting stuff.

What would be the best way to "fake" the look of a MF with my 1DS3? I'm thinking maybe turn all sharpening off in ACR and then use clarity only to sharpen, with some more subtle post, post processing in PS?

I get VERY inspired to do more people type photography when I see your MF guys stuff. I wish I were 30 again, not 46, just to explore this new found obsession of mine.

TechTalk

« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2008, 03:30:26 pm »

A well designed programme shouldn't need very careful persual of the manual, in fact I seem to recall it doesn't even mention that you have to import images already on your machine and already visible in programme, which caught a few people out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
See attached... [attachment=6977:attachment]
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2008, 04:57:11 pm »

A well designed programme shouldn't need very careful persual of the manual, in fact I seem to recall it doesn't even mention that you have to import images already on your machine and already visible in programme, which caught a few people out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In addition to it actually being in the manual, the notion that a well designed program shouldn't require someone to read a user manual is...hmmm...a questionable viewpoint in my mind. I can hardly think of any advanced, complex and powerful programs that allow the user to flourish without reading a manual or having hands-on training from an experienced resource.

They write the manual for a reason. Or would you rather they just not include one?    

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 05:00:37 pm »

In addition to it actually being in the manual, the notion that a well designed program shouldn't require someone to read a user manual is...hmmm...a questionable viewpoint in my mind. I can hardly think of any advanced, complex and powerful programs that allow the user to flourish without reading a manual or having hands-on training from an experienced resource.

They write the manual for a reason. Or would you rather they just not include one?   

Steve Hendrix
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I cannot remember when I have last read a user manual for any software program not even Flexcolor

The only things I did do were to follow video courses for photoshop (hundreds of hours BTW).

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 05:39:10 pm »

I cannot remember when I have last read a user manual for any software program not even Flexcolor

The only things I did do were to follow video courses for photoshop (hundreds of hours BTW).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well there you go.

I have to confess also, as much as I would like to champion the cause, I am not a manual reader. I hate reading them. But that doesn't mean that a program will be easy to pick up if I don't read it. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Little differences that are not complicated and are sometimes actually easier than someone is used to, can really throw you, just because it's not what you're familiar with.

I never read the Flexcolor manual, but I know what every single tool does, and I know how to combine those tools for certain workflows which are not in the manual anyway - not by a long shot. I've never seen anyone demonstrate Flexcolor who understood how to show what you can do with it and provide the depth and the context in how and when you would use that particular tool or combination of tools.

I actually did read the Phocus manual....line by line. I think it might be the first time I've ever done that. And you know what? I am glad I did. I found the Phocus manual extremely well written, and easy to read. One of the reasons people don't like reading the manual is because the vast majority are poorly written or dense and complex (same thing). Who wants to try and wade through something like that?

We're all time stressed and we don't want to have to read manuals. And that's fine. As far as Phocus is concerned, it is modeled (loosely) after Lightroom, so many first time users will be familiar with it, at least to some extent. But sometimes little details or differences can throw you that are actually covered in the manual, as JJJ discovered.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Nick-T

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2008, 11:46:14 pm »

I have to confess also, as much as I would like to champion the cause, I am not a manual reader. I
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200810\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I read the manuals on other peoples' behalf

Nick-T
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:46:42 pm by Nick-T »
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up