Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Processing 400 DO Images  (Read 2880 times)

Patrick Cox

Processing 400 DO Images
« on: March 02, 2008, 07:23:32 pm »

Well, I found a good deal on a demo model 400 DO and decided to give it a try.  Currently my super tele lens is a 500 F4 but I am tired of dealing with the size and weight of this lens.  So now to the purpose of this thread...

I haven't received my lens yet but I understand that the 400 DO requires a bit of contrast enhancement vs some of the other L super teles.  My question is for those in the know - is there a "standard" raw adjustment that I should start with when I import my Raw files into Lightroom?  Also, one small concern I have is about adding noise to my images.  So, does adding contrast to images increase image noise significantly and is this something to be concerned about?  I have 3 weeks to evaluate this lens and certainly my PP workflow will be part of the equation.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.  Also, I understand that Michael now uses this lens so maybe there is already a thread addressing this?

Best,
Pat

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:15:45 pm »

I've been using this lens since it was first available. I don't see any significant difference in contrast from other teles, tho' I generally up the contrast for digital files anyway. It's a great lens and I sold my 500 mm for the very reasons you mention. And the 400 works very well with the 1.4 converter.

Contrast enhancement does not provide more noise to well exposed images at normal ISOs in my experience.

I think you'll love the glass. It really is hand-holdable.

Bill

Well, I found a good deal on a demo model 400 DO and decided to give it a try.  Currently my super tele lens is a 500 F4 but I am tired of dealing with the size and weight of this lens.  So now to the purpose of this thread...

I haven't received my lens yet but I understand that the 400 DO requires a bit of contrast enhancement vs some of the other L super teles.  My question is for those in the know - is there a "standard" raw adjustment that I should start with when I import my Raw files into Lightroom?  Also, one small concern I have is about adding noise to my images.  So, does adding contrast to images increase image noise significantly and is this something to be concerned about?  I have 3 weeks to evaluate this lens and certainly my PP workflow will be part of the equation.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.  Also, I understand that Michael now uses this lens so maybe there is already a thread addressing this?

Best,
Pat
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178744\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AJSJones

Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »

Check out Michael's tutorial on Local contrast enhancement.  The lens has high resolution but somewhat lower contrast so (judicious application of) LCE will help.

PS if you don't fall in love with the lens, I'd be interested in a "good deal"  on it    

Thanks
Andy

Patrick Cox

Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:29 pm »

Check out Michael's tutorial on Local contrast enhancement.  The lens has high resolution but somewhat lower contrast so (judicious application of) LCE will help.

PS if you don't fall in love with the lens, I'd be interested in a "good deal"  on it    

Thanks
Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178952\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for this Andy.  I have heard about this.  But how does this work if I am shooting Raw files?  Does this mean that you can't make this adjustment until you convert the raw file to a TIFF?

Pat

DarkPenguin

Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:23:58 pm »

If you're using lightroom or the current version of Photoshop just use the clarity slider.  Same thing.

Patrick Cox

Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:27:40 pm »

If you're using lightroom or the current version of Photoshop just use the clarity slider.  Same thing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, great.  Thanks.  (Yes I do use LR.)

If anyone else has anymore tips on processing DO images, I would appreciate learning more.  

Thanks!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:35:01 pm »

OK, great.  Thanks.  (Yes I do use LR.)

If anyone else has anymore tips on processing DO images, I would appreciate learning more. 

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its not a processing tip  - but in my own experience with the 400 DO [and I LOVE this lens - in fact I purchased it soley off Michaels reccomendation in an email about a year ago] I have found that I get the best results when I avoid 'dappled light'. Dappled light seems to accentuate unusual bokeh with this lens.

In terms of Contrast enhancement. I dont find it needs any more or less than any other lens per se. A little clarity slider goes a long way to most shots though - regardless of the glass.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Patrick Cox

Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:44:36 pm »

Its not a processing tip  - but in my own experience with the 400 DO [and I LOVE this lens - in fact I purchased it soley off Michaels reccomendation in an email about a year ago] I have found that I get the best results when I avoid 'dappled light'. Dappled light seems to accentuate unusual bokeh with this lens.

In terms of Contrast enhancement. I dont find it needs any more or less than any other lens per se. A little clarity slider goes a long way to most shots though - regardless of the glass.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Josh.  I appreciate this info.  Have you ever had any problems with the bulls eye effect when shooting images with water in them or other specular highlights?

Pat

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Processing 400 DO Images
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:40 pm »

Thanks Josh.  I appreciate this info.  Have you ever had any problems with the bulls eye effect when shooting images with water in them or other specular highlights?

Pat
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178971\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No - not really. No problems that wouldnt have been an issue with any other glass.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up