Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectacular Antelope Canyon  (Read 4629 times)

bircher

• http://www.pbase.com/bircher
Spectacular Antelope Canyon
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:22:36 am »

20 second exposure, tour group turned into 'ghosts'

shot hand held at 3200 ISO!

In the last 20 years Antelope Canyon has rivaled the Grand Canyon National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park as a “must see destination” on a grand tour of the Southwest. For photographers it is a stunning visual paradise on earth. Besides the incredible light and remarkable colors of the Navajo sandstone, Antelope Canyon easily accommodates photographers due to the fact that there is no hiking involved to get to the entrance, the actual slot canyon is very short (about 200 yards in length), the best light is from mid-morning to noon (so no waking up early to catch the sunrise), and since all tours are guided you are given invaluable tips on the best places to position your camera.

What is known as Antelope Canyon is actually part of the Antelope Canyon Navajo Tribal Park located right outside of Page, Arizona (located in Northwest Arizona near the Utah border). The tribal park consists of two regions: Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon. Upper Antelope Canyon (Tse Bighanilini’) is by far the more popular of the two as a result of its easy access and spectacular light beams that has made this slot canyon famous.

The best time to visit Upper Antelope Canyon is between April to October when the trademark light beams illuminate the slot canyon. I visited in the month of December knowing well I wouldn’t have the spectacular light but the tradeoff was I wasn’t going to deal with the maddening crowds that have characterized Antelope Canyon the last couple of years. Besides after a couple of intense days photographing nearby Monument Valley, I wanted to experience the slot canyon with my own eyes rather from behind the camera.

My gallery from my trip to Antelope Canyon. View the unique colors of the canyon and learn about Navajo culture:

Upper Antelope Canyon Photo Gallery by Sam Antonio Photography at pbase.com

Cheers,

Sam

oakey

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:42:44 pm »

20 second exposure, tour group turned into 'ghosts'

shot hand held at 3200 ISO!

In the last 20 years Antelope Canyon has rivaled the Grand Canyon National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park as a “must see destination” on a grand tour of the Southwest. For photographers it is a stunning visual paradise on earth. Besides the incredible light and remarkable colors of the Navajo sandstone, Antelope Canyon easily accommodates photographers due to the fact that there is no hiking involved to get to the entrance, the actual slot canyon is very short (about 200 yards in length), the best light is from mid-morning to noon (so no waking up early to catch the sunrise), and since all tours are guided you are given invaluable tips on the best places to position your camera.

What is known as Antelope Canyon is actually part of the Antelope Canyon Navajo Tribal Park located right outside of Page, Arizona (located in Northwest Arizona near the Utah border). The tribal park consists of two regions: Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon. Upper Antelope Canyon (Tse Bighanilini’) is by far the more popular of the two as a result of its easy access and spectacular light beams that has made this slot canyon famous.

The best time to visit Upper Antelope Canyon is between April to October when the trademark light beams illuminate the slot canyon. I visited in the month of December knowing well I wouldn’t have the spectacular light but the tradeoff was I wasn’t going to deal with the maddening crowds that have characterized Antelope Canyon the last couple of years. Besides after a couple of intense days photographing nearby Monument Valley, I wanted to experience the slot canyon with my own eyes rather from behind the camera.

My gallery from my trip to Antelope Canyon. View the unique colors of the canyon and learn about Navajo culture:

Cheers,

Sam
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

oakey

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:28:53 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178107\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have been to upper antelope slot canyon one time and loved it. must say after reading Alan Briot and looking at his images on upper antelope had to go. that place was the hardest place i ever photographed. i just got my 30D canon spent some time with it thought i had it down and was good to go !! we got there and i was just blown away by the colors and light. then i had lots of trouble with the camera a ghost in the machine lost lots of time there but got it working. the low light in there gave me a bad time. so now i shoot lots of low light. one day we will go back and do it again. i will be ready this time !!! i must say some good images. oakey
Pages: [1]   Go Up