Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica DNG images slow to open in Bridge  (Read 1940 times)

genedel

Leica DNG images slow to open in Bridge
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:44:27 pm »

I'm finding that opening Leica DNG files in Bridge is very slow. Once I click on a image in the light table in Bridge it takes several seconds before that image appears in the preview box.And to move from one image to another in the light table is also very slow. I get the dreaded spinning wheel. Also once in a while when I click on an image in the light table I get a black border around the image.
When I click on a image from a Nikon D2X DNG file it appears instantaneously in the preview box and I can move from one image to another without any delay.
Has anyone run into this problem and are there any suggestions to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance
Gene

joern_kiel

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:20:25 am »

As far as i know is that Leica has added something special to their DNG file although it is compatible. I believe that Bridge first has to generate/extract a jpg preview that will then show up in the browser because the embedded one is to small. The same happens when i open my M8 files with CaptureOne.

Try a search at the Leica-User-Forum. It has been discussed there a while ago.

jørn

01af

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:49:54 am »

Try converting your Leica DNG files into Adobe DNG files using the latest Adobe DNG Converter. In theory, DNG should be DNG, no matter what. In real life, surprising things happen all the time ...

-- Olaf

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 01:09:37 pm »

Those very few Leica images I have don't contain any preview images, only thumbnails. Add to this, that the thumbnail of the DMR is only 156x102 pixels small - compare this to the M8's 320x240.

When converting it with Adobe's DNG converter, not only a thumbnail but a JPEG preview image too can be added, in medium or full size. Moreover, the size of the file can be reduced a lot by (lossless) compression.
Gabor
Pages: [1]   Go Up