Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw + JPG with the G9  (Read 2402 times)

Peter_DL

Raw + JPG with the G9
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:31:29 pm »

Did some test shots with the PowerShot G9 in Raw + JPG mode.
Now the transfer of the files from the camera to my computer got me a bit confused.

Upon pointing Windows’ XP Explorer to the camera, it seems to tell that there are 2 Raw files of approx. 14 MB stored per image (no JPG). Other software seems to share the same opinion as far as the files on the memory card are concerned.

Only Canon’s CameraWindow download tool seems to be in the position to manage, so that there’s finally Raw + JPG on the hard drive. One could think that the JPG is created in the course of the download process, not earlier in-camera, which then raises the question why two Raws would be initially stored on the memory card.

Perhaps not a big issue, but I’d really would like to understand what’s going on.
Can someone around here shed some light on this?

DPL

--

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Raw + JPG with the G9
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:36:02 pm »

Can someone around here shed some light on this?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a know issue when connecting a camera directly as a device in Windows. You really DON'T want to do this anyway since it's slow (and potentially dangerous). You really want to use a card reader instead...

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Raw + JPG with the G9
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:14:19 pm »

Do what Schewe says - he's right on the money. I used to have to connect my 1DsII to set the Personal Settings, but image transfer is always through a card reader. Much faster, and safer. Fortunately I don't need to connect at all for the 1DsIII.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Peter_DL

Raw + JPG with the G9
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:34:45 pm »

Many thanks for the response. You are certainly right, though I fortunately didn’t experience any of such severe issues before.

It’s just that I want to transfer the files to my notebook when traveling. Like with the G9 it’s all about to keep the luggage small. Thinking about the options, I should probably go for a PCMCIA adapter.

Just for the records: I figured out that also Adobe’s Photo-Downloader recognizes the RAW + JPG duo correctly upon direct connection via cable. So it bypasses the flawed communication between the camera and the Windowz box.

--

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
Raw + JPG with the G9
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:31 pm »

Just as a heads-up, a USB-2 or Firewire reader may be noticeably faster than the PCMCIA-CF adapter, you may want to check and see what works best for your situation. Nowadays external readers are pretty small, but yeah, it all adds up the traveling load. I myself just use the PCMCIA-CF adapter while travelling.
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &
Pages: [1]   Go Up