Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 40D  (Read 2010 times)

Gpowell

Canon 40D
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:29:04 pm »

I am looking to buy a Canon 40D fairly soon, but don't want to pull the trigger to soon if Canon may come out with some rebate or if the price may go down for some reason I am unaware of.  Was wondering two things:  First does anyone have any insight to what may happen to the price of the 40 D over the next 45 days and TWO, where is a good place to buy one that has a good price as well.  Have checked the well known stores and was wondering if there is a place that I may not know about.  If anyone has any experience on this or suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Gary

DarkPenguin

Canon 40D
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:33:33 pm »

No.

B+H photo.  Check super coupons or something like that for a discount code.  (Unless you feel that is unethical.)  Anywho, I paid $1119.

Misirlou

• http://
Canon 40D
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:09:42 pm »

I am looking to buy a Canon 40D fairly soon, but don't want to pull the trigger to soon if Canon may come out with some rebate or if the price may go down for some reason I am unaware of.  Was wondering two things:  First does anyone have any insight to what may happen to the price of the 40 D over the next 45 days and TWO, where is a good place to buy one that has a good price as well.  Have checked the well known stores and was wondering if there is a place that I may not know about.  If anyone has any experience on this or suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are legions of people who try to guess what Canon will do in the near future. They're kind of like sports bookies or stockbrokers, as far as I'm concerned. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow; Just buy the camera you need now and don't look back. Sure, you might be able to buy one for 5% less in two months, but you might also miss the shot of a lifetime in the mean time.

The 40D comes in a number of different bundles. Depending on what you have for lenses now, that might make the decision easier for you. My wife bought my 40D at Best Buy on some special sale in late September. Came with the 28-135 and a 70-300 IS. I actually like the 28-135 as a walking around lens on my FF bodies, already had other EF-S options for the 40D, and needed a long IS lens to replace a crappy old 75-300, so that was a great package for me.

You might look to see if there's a sale at Best Buy over the weekend or something, but you can't go wrong with B&H. Or, if there's a decent independent photo gear store nearby, you might want see what sort of deal they'll give you. You'd probably pay a little more than the rock bottom mail order price, but also get some quick local service if you ever have problems. Often, the camera shops charge more for the hardware, but give you a break on bulk prints and so forth. Back in '94, I bought an A2E with a Sigma zoom. After about a week, I decided I'd rather have a Canon lens, and the store let me exchange the Sigma for what I paid. That kind of flexibility is worth paying a little extra for.

DarkPenguin

Canon 40D
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »

Do keep in mind that the 40D's price could also change based on the success of its competitors.  But it is significantly cheaper than the D300 and E3.  It is even cheaper than the A700 and K20D.  So I would guess that it will likely stay at its current price.  But if Pentax or Sony firesales their cameras you could see the 40D drop to match.
Pages: [1]   Go Up