Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Josef Hoflehner and the Jan - Feb 2008 Lenswork  (Read 12431 times)

PSA DC-9-30

Josef Hoflehner and the Jan - Feb 2008 Lenswork
« on: February 10, 2008, 11:44:14 pm »

I'm not a friend or relative of this guy, nor have I ever spoken to him, so don't think I'm shilling for him, but MAN, I can't remember when I've seen such gorgeous, powerful BW images since the likes of Adams, Weston, et al. His Iceland series in the latest Lenswork actually prompted me to buy this magazine (or whatever you want to call it) for the first time. I'd recommend everyone check it out before it disapears from the newsstands. Here is the website if you're interested: http://www.josefhoflehner.com/

The other series in the issue, especially the roadside memorials and facial expressions of animals at the zoo are also very interesting, and powerful IMO. Comments?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:44:50 pm by PSA DC-9-30 »

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:05:48 am »

I'm not a friend or relative of this guy, nor have I ever spoken to him, so don't think I'm shilling for him, but MAN, I can't remember when I've seen such gorgeous, powerful BW images since the likes of Adams, Weston, et al. His Iceland series in the latest Lenswork actually prompted me to buy this magazine (or whatever you want to call it) for the first time. I'd recommend everyone check it out before it disapears from the newsstands. Here is the website if you're interested: http://www.josefhoflehner.com/

The other series in the issue, especially the roadside memorials and facial expressions of animals at the zoo are also very interesting, and powerful IMO. Comments?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173890\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really like his work and his books are extremely had to get. Overall he reminds me of Michael Kenna.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:15:27 pm »

I really like his work and his books are extremely had to get. Overall he reminds me of Michael Kenna.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My thoughts exactly; the same kind of simple, almost Zen composition seen in Kenna's work. At least the Lenswork article explains why his books are hard to find; he self-publishes in small editions sure to sell out.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:39:28 am »

PSA DC

Thanks for the link - another one for the favourites list!

Actually, I think that what does come through with this work, as with Kenna, Chris Simpson, Chip Forelli and many others, is that black and white photography has an imaging power all of its own, a power which is probably far more difficult to find, tame and express than will ever be the case with colour.

Colour is obvious - it´s immediate viisual impact is why most people trip the shutter; black and white requires a few ´something elses´ from the photographer which are far removed from the simple decision of whether to load colour or b/w stock ( film still seems to be the natural mental draw...) but regardless of capture method, the thinking during the chase has got to be specific if one is looking for more than the happy accident suddenly brought to light via Photoshop!

But whether black and white or colour, there still remains a huge question: do photographs really make as valid a decoration as does a painting, assuming both to be skilled works? I am not concerned here with pictures sitting on pianos, personal mementos like graduation shots, babies  etc. anything like that; what I am thinking about is pure decoration, something with which to add tone or personality to a room within a home. Offices, I think, have different needs, which photography satisfies very well.

Rob C

mikemalling

• http://www.mikemalling.dk
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:11:01 pm »

I agree. his work is stunning. I just reasontly found out about Lensworks magazine. With my interest in photography this is something I need to look into.

/Mike (www.mikemalling.dk)

MikeMac

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 04:48:54 pm »

His latest book is available mail order from Beyond Words, Edinburgh

http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/Book.aspx?id=5071

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:53:33 pm »

His latest book is available mail order from Beyond Words, Edinburgh

http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/Book.aspx?id=5071
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182476\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Better subscribe because lenswork after issue 75 is longer available at newsstands

PhillyPhotographer

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:24:16 pm »

Better subscribe because lenswork after issue 75 is longer available at newsstands
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

His books are now available on Amazon.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up